cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

diesel engine wont start

san_elijo_kb
Explorer
Explorer
1997 Monaco dynasty 8.3 cummins diesel will turn over fine but will not start.Tried rear remote start switch. Still nothing. I got a can of starting fluid and she would start with that and stay running for 15 minutes until I shut it down . Tried a couple hours later and started right up. This morning same thing , turns over but will not start. Obviously a fuel issue. Must be losing its prime some how or fuel pressure. I'm in So Cal 65 degrees.No fuel leaks that I can see. I'm assuming fuel pump and solenoid are good if it starts and stays running with starting fluid . Will check back later . thanks kb
Ken and Mary Ann
27 REPLIES 27

san_elijo_kb
Explorer
Explorer
update. We checked electrical on engine pre heat system that consisted of a control box , solenoid and relay . all these checked out good .The intake has two heat injectors similar to glow plugs , but they actually have fuel connections incorporated . I believe they were the issue and when checking electrical for some reason they started working again .suspecting moisture . anyway starts right up , and if it does it again , I will know what to check . thanks for all the suggestions.
Ken and Mary Ann

san_elijo_kb
Explorer
Explorer
no news yet. I have a mobil mechanic coming in a couple days . Will post results when we figure it out.
Ken and Mary Ann

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it has intake air and won't keep running you are correct it is fuel supply issue. Fuel transfer pump?

Kennedycamper
Explorer
Explorer
Most Cummins I've seen do use a grid heater.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
STOP.

The can saying it is safe for diesels does not mean it is safe for YOUR diesel.

Again, verify whether your engine has an INTAKE MANIFOLD HEATER.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

slemnah
Explorer
Explorer
I am pretty sure that is for the technician to hook up a pressure gauge during testing. You wouldn't have the correct female fitting for it anyways,
Steve

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Confirm with manufacturer what the fitting is for.
Most likely it is fuel pressure gauge hookup. Don't put air into fuel system.

san_elijo_kb
Explorer
Explorer
I also noticed an air fitting that looks like you can pressurize at fuel filter . Can that be used to pressurize and establish prime ?
Ken and Mary Ann

san_elijo_kb
Explorer
Explorer
So I just tried starting fluid again .The stuff says safe for diesels .Requires 4 to 5 seconds of spray . Started up. At initial start up engine raced as in a lean condition until fuel got to it. This would lead me to believe it is losing its prime or another fuel delivery issue or something else effecting fuel delivery .
Ken and Mary Ann

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if big diesels have intake air heaters. Those are used mostly on small diesel engines (tractors) that don't have glow plugs.
And yes, you can buy starting fluid for diesels.
Anyway, OP has clear symptoms of loosing prime. Lot of diesels do have glass, or clear tubing allowing for fuel flow observation.
Do you have such? If not, I would try if I can add one.
Diesel fuel lines operate mostly of vacuum, so you will never see fuel outside, but on some design topping off tank, or parking on slope where tank is higher than engine will build enough pressure to see wet area following morning.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
OK, let's look at "ether and diesel engines".

If your engine has an INTAKE MANIFOLD HEATER (read that a red hot wire grid)use of ether (an explosive) is a real NO NO.

So there is no here is THE answer for all diesel engines-- depends on whether your engine has an intake manifold heater.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not spray around a filter to try and find a leak...I would remove it and check the seal and the surfaces for a problem. I did have a big change in temperature create a leak on a fuel line fitting that was tight for 60,000 miles. Cost a fair amount of money to figure that one out.

"missing eyebrows" What is the source of ignition???
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
SAR Tracker wrote:
san elijo kb wrote:
....How would I check filters and hoses for air leaks ?

Spray the starting fluid at the suspected leak area. If the engine starts, you've found the leak.

Don't spray starting fluid around like this...how is the liquid fuel supply system going to pull volatile gas through a fuel filter gasket leak or a hose? There isn't much vacuum there. Asking for a fire ... of course it should go out once you are missing your eyebrows....

MrWizard
when 5.9 cumins would not start, it turned out to be the fuel solenoid
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s