cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat tow 2003 Land Rover Discovery

huachuco
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone flat towed a Land Rover Discovery. Mine is a 2003 model 4WD with transfer case that has a neutral. Would be pulling the LR with a 1997 CC Intrigue, 8.3L Cummins 300 HP.

Thanks for any info......and safe travel.
3 REPLIES 3

huachuco
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely consult both the manual and a dealer who has sold the 2003 in the past......thanks again....Dave

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
The Disco II can be towed 4 down (from the OM Pg:217):

Towing the Vehicle

WARNING
ALWAYS adhere to the following procedure when towing the vehicle with all four wheels on the ground. Failure to do so could result in unintended vehicle movement or unanticipated vehicle conditions.
1. Apply the parking brake.
2. Secure the towing attachment from the
recovery vehicle to the front towing eye of the vehicle to be recovered.
3. Turn the starter switch to position โ€˜IIโ€™, so that the brake lights and direction indicators can be operated.
4. With the foot brake applied, set the main gearbox in โ€˜Nโ€™ (neutral) and then put the transfer box into neutral.
5. Set the main gearbox in โ€˜Pโ€™ (park).
6. Release the parking brake before towing the vehicle.
NOTE: If, due to an accident or electrical fault, it is not considered safe to turn the starter switch, the vehicle cannot be towed with wheels on the ground.
WARNING
DO NOT attempt to tow the vehicle unless the starter switch is turned to position โ€˜IIโ€™. If the vehicle is towed with the starter switch in position โ€˜Iโ€™, an inconsistency in the recorded vehicle mileage will occur. This must then be rectified by a Land Rover retailer.
DO NOT remove the key or turn the starter switch to position โ€˜0โ€™ while the vehicle is in
motion; the starter switch must be at position โ€˜IIโ€™.

Without the engine running, the brake servo and power steering pump cannot provide assistance; greater effort will therefore be required to operate the brake pedal and turn the steering wheel. Longer stopping distances will also be experienced.
CAUTION: Leaving the starter switch in position โ€˜IIโ€™ for extended periods will put a raw on the battery, which can lead to voltage drop and ultimately to a discharged battery.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen them towed but not for a bit...if you have a manual transfer case with a true neutral, then it should be OK..I'd look for owner's manual online or with dealer to confirm that...You will also need the base plate for it....so you should check with blue ox or roadmaster to see who makes the baseplate...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)