cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flooring question... Weight?

tommymsw
Explorer
Explorer
So I have an old RV I just bought and I am spending the winter renovating it. My idea was to do the floor with vinyl tiles (The same it had already) thinking it is lightweight and easy. However, I just had a friend donate some REALLY NICE "laminate"? flooring. The tongue and groove kind of flooring. It is REALLY nice and looks beautiful AND it has a really nice built in rubber padding on the bottom. My concern is the weight.

It is FREE and I love that, and it is REALLY high end, but should I worry about the added weight? I am not going to live in the RV. It will be a couple of times a year long trip, and a few times a year, short trip vehicle. What would YOU do?
10 REPLIES 10

ret_usn
Explorer
Explorer
I used some of home depot allure vinyl. in stock is edges stick together. Special order is click together like laminate. All of it is floating very thick and durable vinyl It looks like wood . Great product.
2004 R Vision Trail Lite
2003 F150 Super Crew

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Installed wood peel and stick floor to my trailer and it shrunk due to temperature differences. We camped in the 20"s and 100 plus, bad idea for the floor. ripped it out and went with outdoor carpet. Cargo trailer that I installed living quarters in.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd stick with Vinyl, but laminate won't be a problem. However the day anything leaks or spills it very well may be a problem. A good quality Vinyl should take a licking of traffic and spills.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
After 11 years full timing our laminate flooring areas are showing s bit of age through scuffing and swelling at the joints due to moisture due to spills and Scottish Terrier's beard dripping after getting drinks. But it still has held up much better than carpet would have in those areas.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

tommymsw
Explorer
Explorer
I guess now that I think of it... Can't be more than a 50lb difference overall. I just wanted to throw it out there to make sure. I am estimating the weight from what I found online and estimating the square feet.

20 square feet of vinyl tiles seems to be about 1lb. Laminate seems to be around 30lbs. So 30 times more? I am guessing I have about 33sq feet of floor to be covered?
So vinyl would be about 1.65lbs
Laminate would be about 49.5lbs (Maybe a little more because of the padding)

So... 2lbs vs 50 or so?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wouldnt worry about the minimal weight (maybe a few hundred lbs?). Besides, it's carried low and uniformly through the RV.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
You probably don't want laminate. It does NOT like moisture.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What was the weight of the flooring removed/to be removed per square foot? What is the weight of the proposed new flooring per square foot? How many square feet will be replaced?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What was the weight of the flooring removed/to be removed per square foot? What is the weight of the proposed new flooring per square foot? How many square feet will be replaced?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Should be no problem.