cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

front end shimmyies

SKIPCAROL
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago I had sand bags used to balance front tires on my MH. Always felt funny at the start of the day like the tires had lumps...then after about 10 miles all good. Now the problem is worse as we are workamping and don't drive as much and it sits longer. What it does now, when we left out last Friday, when we got to about 45mph the front end shook and it was hard to steer. Slowed down to about 35 and was ok....would speed back up and would shake again. Then after about 10 miles all was good at any speed. Anybody have any idea if the problem is something else? Was thinking about having a tire guy come out and dump out that sand and balance the traditional way, before buying new tires. They are about 6 years old.
Carol, Skip & Buddy the Mutt

2005 Four Winds Hurricane 32R
2008 Chevy HHR Toad
9 REPLIES 9

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Well, how did you make out?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you talking about Equal that is a powder in side a bag that opens when the tire is driven for balance? Or are your talking about actual sand? Years ago people put in all kinds of things like golf balls or transmission fluid to balance the tires.

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
Check the front schocks
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

SKIPCAROL
Explorer
Explorer
Taking to a truck tire service center in the AM. Thanks for the info. Hope ditching the sand solves the problem.
Carol, Skip & Buddy the Mutt

2005 Four Winds Hurricane 32R
2008 Chevy HHR Toad

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you are making a smart thought here. Dump the sand and see where you end up.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think your sand is clumping up from moisture and throwing the balance of the tires off until you go far enough it unclumps and spreads out in the tire to rebalance it. I'd try having them re-balanced in the traditional manner before I threw money into trying something else or having a garage search for other possible problems. If that it is, you should notice a difference driving away from the re-balance. If not, then start checking other stuff.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another possibility is the front brakes.

I recently had similar symptoms on a car. Intermittent front end vibration between 45 and 60 MPH. Some days it was fine, some days it was on and off. Internet searches pointed towards wheel bearings, tie rod ends, and steering stabilizer. Nothing pointed at the brakes, and the car had new brake pads and rotors installed, just six months prior.

Problem turned out to be a seized brake caliper. It was applying constant pressure on the brake pad, and releasing said pressure when it got really hot.

If you have disc brakes, go for a short drive, then check temperatures of your front wheels and rotors.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps a long shot, but I'd check the front end, particularly if it is coil spring with a diagonal track bar. The bushings get play and can cause a serious shake. Not sure if this would apply to your chassis.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The powder type balancing method almost always ends up as clumps due to moisture in the tire.
That is why many people use the Dynabeads RV balancing beads, which if the right type larger ceramic beads are used, you can use the standard valve core. They will stay consistent throughout the life of the tire.