cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grey tank overflow

golfman8
Explorer
Explorer
We have an 2006 Coachman CrossCountry 38DS. Recently had a washer/dryer combo unit installed. (It was pre-plumbed) I used it with no problems for 2 washes. Then my wife tried to do a load of wash and the grey water tank overflowed into the shower and ruined the carpet in the bedroom and the vynal in the bathroom/kitchen area.
I ran another load and it worked perfectly. Next wash, it overflowed again. My problem is: The grey water drain hose was connected to the campground sewer system and the tank valve was open. What would make this be a hit or miss situation.

Thanks for any information/help you can give me. Also, going to change out the carpet/vinyl for Alure flooring. (after I fix my problem)
Jim Bromwell
6 REPLIES 6

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
If it was pre-plumbed it make not be going into the gray tank. The washer on my Sahara goes directly to the sewer outlet, bypassing the tanks. If this is the case, you may want to close the gray tank drain valve.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I would suspect a drilled plastic plug fell into the Gray tank when they built it and with the volume of water injected into the tank when the washer pump is ON, is causing this round plastic to block the exit fitting at the dump valve. Then it falls over and does not block completely. The fact that it comes UP into the shower does not point to a vent problem. The water HAS to fill up the tank to then go back UP into the shower. Having a vent block would cause the water to come back out the washer down pipe. UNLESS, the washer drain plumbing is somehow connected to the down pipe of the shower where it goes to the gray tank. The Y fitting is backwards where the Washer ABS and the Shower ABS is tied together. The force of the washer pump is pushing the water back up the one section of the Y. Doug

Moved from Forum Technical Support

golfman8
Explorer
Explorer
I have checked the drain hose and the valve is open and water is draining except during the washer drain, sometimes.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tank will not gravity drain w/o proper venting.

When using washer......have you visually check that water is flowing out of sewer hose?

Blocked vent line OR blocked drain line (old cut-out got stirred up off bottom of tank due to pumped water flow from washer agitating things)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would make sure the vents aren't blocked on the roof. Take the caps off and make sure the pipes were installed so that the cap doesn't block it.
This is a common manufacturing defect.