cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help--> Newell, Country Coach, Bluebird, Foretravel, Newmar

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
How's it going everyone! Been a while since I posted, but circumstances have put us back into the saddle again, and we are looking to buy.

I have been shopping Chassis and engine first, ride and ameneties second.

My wife and I have been looking at the above Motorhome's. (coaches)

So I'm wondering what you guys would tell me.

Should I go Foretravel or Newell 1999-2004 for around $150

or Country Coach, maybe 2004-2008 around $130

Or into a Newmar midlevel around 2010 or later for about the same price as above?

I may have to stay around the $125 area, and hope that I can get someone to come down a bit.

Also, wanted to say howdy to, and in no particular order...:

Skid Row Joe

Mr.Mark

Ava

mtrumpet

BennieH

Bruce Brown

smlranger

MRUSA

dezolen

mike brez

Tom/Barb

the bear ll

DSDP Don

SCVJeff

Kayteg1

supercub
06' Monaco Executive Ranier IV ~ 41' 4"
525ISX ~ Allison 4000 ~ S Series Chassis
10 Air bag/10 Source Billstein
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Last: 99' National Class A ~ 31' Ford Chassis
82 REPLIES 82

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
I am so glad that you are taking it to Redlands Performance Center. I have had such good luck with them with my Dynasty. Everything was fixed the first time.

DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) came in 2011 (I think). DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) came out in 2007. Your 2006 is emission free except of the EGR. Your engine will probably smoke a little on hard acceleration but it's cologne to us guys. 😛

Do not take your coach to Colton Truck in Colton. They attempted to fix my dash air 3 times with no success. Redlands Performance fixed it the first time and it last for 3 yrs. when I then sold the coach on consignment in TX.

The inside of the Executive is beautiful! Very similar to the Dynasty we had. The tag axle on a 40 ft. vs. a 42 ft. coach will take up a bay space but you will love the ride and handling.

Good luck,
MM.

Thanks for letting me know about Redlands Performance, and it's lucky I choose them the first time. When i was talking to the tech, he said they work on the Roadmaster Chassis in:

Colton

Redlands and in

Sacramento, in that order.

Why I choose Redlands will be curious, but when I heard the name, "Redlands RV and Truck Performance Center" I felt good about it...

The 42' Dynasty Contessa III rides on a 266.25" wheelbase, whereas the
Executive Ranier IV, soon-to-be-mine, rides on a 247" wheelbase.
That's 19.25" of critical nimbleness that will work well in tight areas...

When, I spoke to Karen, who also works there, I really felt like they knew what they were doing.

I'm not sure if they can but with all my vehicles that I have purchased, I like to Pressure wash the underside of the Rig, so I can see and catch any issues before they get real bad like a leak. Remember, leaks are "Seeps" before they become leaks.

These are pretty exciting times for us, and I'm so lucky to have the knowledge to purchase an older well built Rig, rather than a new Rig at the same price.
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I am so glad that you are taking it to Redlands Performance Center. I have had such good luck with them with my Dynasty. Everything was fixed the first time.

DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) came in 2011 (I think). DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) came out in 2007. Your 2006 is emission free except of the EGR. Your engine will probably smoke a little on hard acceleration but it's cologne to us guys. 😛

Do not take your coach to Colton Truck in Colton. They attempted to fix my dash air 3 times with no success. Redlands Performance fixed it the first time and it last for 3 yrs. when I then sold the coach on consignment in TX.

The inside of the Executive is beautiful! Very similar to the Dynasty we had. The tag axle on a 40 ft. vs. a 42 ft. coach will take up a bay space but you will love the ride and handling.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
WOW Ocean! Nice! The miles are low but not too low! Can't wait to see the inside!

I can just see the smile on your face driving down the road! You will love the 10 air bag chassis and all the other amenities!

Safe travels,
MM.

So, you haven't commented on the inside, and I know compared to your Elegant Lady, it might look like a sand-box, but make me feel good about my purchase...:@ You know pour it on...lol

Bruce Brown wrote:
That's pretty sweet! Congrats.

Thank you! It really is a blessing we can get it...

Ivylog wrote:
It was the ISL that I had wrist pin problems in 2006 not the ISX... I would not worry about the engine. I would confirm the operation of every switch that is part of the multiplex system...lights, water pump, AquaHot........

Congrats and if I had to replace my Dynasty I would be looking for a rig like this.

That's really good thing about the wrist pin, and that I have a Good Engine! It's from all the help from you guys here. I couldn't have gotten a Good Coach without all your help and posts!

Mile High wrote:
Beautiful coach! Looks very clean inside as well.

Yes it appears to be clean, plus it looks like it has been in California since it's origination.

Mr.Mark wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
It was the ISL that I had wrist pin problems in 2006 not the ISX... I would not worry about the engine. I would confirm the operation of every switch that is part of the multiplex system...lights, water pump, AquaHot........

Congrats and if I had to replace my Dynasty I would be looking for a rig like this.

I immediately thought of you when Ocean Mist showed that picture. If it had a DD 60 Series, he probably would have to fight you for it. 😛

MM.

The seller said he already has a line of people waiting to buy it if I don't want it... A Ploy or the truth...? :h

tropical36 wrote:
Congrats...
It looks like you went all out here and definitely made the right decision for buying a quality built coach. I would rather have something like that, than a brand new entry level unit, any day of the week. Someone even broke it in for you and most likely got a lot of the bugs out with not many miles since.
As for posting your find, early on, I think you made the right decision there, as well, since most states have a few days cancellation clause and just in case you're told something, that you're not aware of and feel that you can't live with.
It looks like you dodged one bullet already by getting an ISX engine.

That really makes me feel good about the purchase. The original price was $487k Plus tax and Lic, was like $531,965.45
I do feel like I made the right decision, and with the amenities like the 525ISX, Allison 4000,Tag, and all the goodies on the Executive, I can always re-sell if I need to... But don't see that as an issue.

Bill.Satellite wrote:
What you can expect is to spend a whole bunch more money. The only thing more expensive than owning an RV is owning a boat. Yes, you will freak out, pass out and go into shock. No one can begin to understand how expensive it is to own an RV until they own an RV. This is NOT a cheap man's sport. You have to have deep pockets and you have to have a sense of humor to deal with all the problems that are going to cut into those deep pockets.
Forget about wood work. Forget about impeccable (looks are deceiving). There is no such thing as impeccable in the new or the used RV market. You are going to have problems and you are going to have expenses. You just need to try as hard as you can to mitigate the amount of money flowing from your wallet on a day to day basis.

Thanks Bill for Sugar coating it for me... :B However, I AM a Sporting-Man by nature and an aspiring Man of Leisure. You did say almost expensive as a boat, and a funny story...

I did purchase a used MasterCraft 21' Maristar, 330hp inboard and I did all the Fixin' myself. So, I'm really hoping to do at lest some of the more mundane services myself. I will have to brush up on them here for the DP Tag...

Mr.Mark wrote:
Ocean Mist wrote:
I'm still buying the 40' Monaco Executive Rainier IV, with the 525ISX, 4000 Allison, and Tag, but I just need to know I'm buying a good Rig.

You know some of the best wood work in my range was the Beaver line. I just love that dark and light knotty wood.

The seller, on the above rig is impeccable, and an all around good guy, so I feel a lot better about the purchase...

The Exec get's inspected by Performance RV in Southern California on the 16th, and then the final deal will be made...

I have never spent so much on a Vehicle or RV...

What should I expect after I give up all that Hard earned cash...?

I mean will I freak out, pass out or otherwise go into shock?
:E

Are you saying Redlands Truck and RV Performance Center in Redlands, CA?

If so, you have picked one of the best shops in the area. They will be installing the towing equipment on my new Lincoln.

Safe travels,
MM.

Yes it is Redlands Truck and Rv Performance. I'm working with Mark. He's going to check on the Steering unit to see if it's a Sheppard or the TRW. Karen actually knew what I was talking about when I mentioned the 2 units. They said they can more than likely do the swap if it's the Sheppard...!

Yes these guys seem to know their stuff. I also asked to look at the EGR valve, and give me an alignment.

They will get the RV a few days early to power up the airbags and sit for a couple of days to see if there are any leaks.

Also, asked if it is an Aluminum radiator or Steel copper, and if it has the DEF.
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean Mist wrote:
I'm still buying the 40' Monaco Executive Rainier IV, with the 525ISX, 4000 Allison, and Tag, but I just need to know I'm buying a good Rig.

You know some of the best wood work in my range was the Beaver line. I just love that dark and light knotty wood.

The seller, on the above rig is impeccable, and an all around good guy, so I feel a lot better about the purchase...

The Exec get's inspected by Performance RV in Southern California on the 16th, and then the final deal will be made...

Are you saying Redlands Truck and RV Performance Center in Redlands, CA?

If so, you have picked one of the best shops in the area. They will be installing the towing equipment on my new Lincoln.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you can expect is to spend a whole bunch more money. The only thing more expensive than owning an RV is owning a boat. Yes, you will freak out, pass out and go into shock. No one can begin to understand how expensive it is to own an RV until they own an RV. This is NOT a cheap man's sport. You have to have deep pockets and you have to have a sense of humor to deal with all the problems that are going to cut into those deep pockets.
Forget about wood work. Forget about impeccable (looks are deceiving). There is no such thing as impeccable in the new or the used RV market. You are going to have problems and you are going to have expenses. You just need to try as hard as you can to mitigate the amount of money flowing from your wallet on a day to day basis.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer

Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
Smitty77 wrote:
The Executive and the specific Roadmaster chassis it rides on, are a great combo. You should be very pleased with this towards the top of the food chains of mere mortal coaches:)!

One thing to ask the owner, and review repair/maintenance records that I hope they will have for you, is the EGR. Not a knock on the ISX, just the nature of the beast as far as that generation of engine smog levels are concerned. And that specific ISX, is not one of the newer engines that Cummins did have a design flaw on - and while helping some, really did not step up to the plate as they would have culturally had done just 10-15 years ago to correct their design problem. So I believe you're safe as far as the previously mentioned ISX problems. I'd as about the Ugly Fix, see if that might have been added to your engine. If not, way down the road (I mean get the deal done, do whatever you feel needs to be done when you get it on catch up maintenance, and any cosmetic or interior modifications you may want to make it your coach. THEN GO USE IT FOR AWHILE AND ENJOY!) look into if that specific engine would benefit from the Ugly FIx.

https://www.theuglyfix.co/index.html

You should find the combo of the ISX525 and I believe ~1850(?) lbs of torque coupled to the Allison 4000 to be a sweet combo to drive. Especially at 40' vs the heaving 45' coaches. More then ample power to weight ratio. Mountain downhill grades, with the two speed Jake Compression, should also be a non event. Heck, with that braking HP, you may find yourself needing to add some speed at times:)!

As you learn to drive it, and get a fill for it, think about how you want your Jake Brake to work. I'm not certain if Monaco of that era choose to have it go into 4th gear to start, or possibly even 3rd (Other Monaco Executive coach owners will help you on that specific.). But I know many Country Coach owners, which starts out in 4th gear, had this reprogrammed to select 5th gear to start off with. This give you the option of say rolling down a gradual grade at 60-65 without needing to use the brakes. Heck with that displacements braking HP, you might not even need to engage Low Jake. (Midi size blocks, like my ISL or say a CAT C9, with much less size displacement to add braking HP - will often use 5th gear Low Jake to coast down longer lower percentage downgrades.) You may find that you like things as are, and for sure, it is all about what you like. The advantage of 5th is, well, it lets you use 5th as an option with Jake Braking - and you still have the option at the push of a button to go down to 4th if needed. Where as if you start out in 4th with Jake on, the speed and RPM combo may not be what you want. Perhaps with that coach and that drive train rolling along at 50-55 vs 60-65 MPH that would be available with 5th gear.

Enough from me:)! Go finish the process, and get familiar with this coach as is. Have fun, be safe,
Smitty

Thank you Smitty for all the info on the EGR and the uglyfix, and the Dialing in the Jake stages. I didn't know that it could be adjusted so specifically, and yes, we can't wait to see the open Road!

Keep er' between the lines...

Sam
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
The Executive and the specific Roadmaster chassis it rides on, are a great combo. You should be very pleased with this towards the top of the food chains of mere mortal coaches:)!

One thing to ask the owner, and review repair/maintenance records that I hope they will have for you, is the EGR. Not a knock on the ISX, just the nature of the beast as far as that generation of engine smog levels are concerned. And that specific ISX, is not one of the newer engines that Cummins did have a design flaw on - and while helping some, really did not step up to the plate as they would have culturally had done just 10-15 years ago to correct their design problem. So I believe you're safe as far as the previously mentioned ISX problems. I'd as about the Ugly Fix, see if that might have been added to your engine. If not, way down the road (I mean get the deal done, do whatever you feel needs to be done when you get it on catch up maintenance, and any cosmetic or interior modifications you may want to make it your coach. THEN GO USE IT FOR AWHILE AND ENJOY!) look into if that specific engine would benefit from the Ugly FIx.

https://www.theuglyfix.co/index.html

You should find the combo of the ISX525 and I believe ~1850(?) lbs of torque coupled to the Allison 4000 to be a sweet combo to drive. Especially at 40' vs the heaving 45' coaches. More then ample power to weight ratio. Mountain downhill grades, with the two speed Jake Compression, should also be a non event. Heck, with that braking HP, you may find yourself needing to add some speed at times:)!

As you learn to drive it, and get a fill for it, think about how you want your Jake Brake to work. I'm not certain if Monaco of that era choose to have it go into 4th gear to start, or possibly even 3rd (Other Monaco Executive coach owners will help you on that specific.). But I know many Country Coach owners, which starts out in 4th gear, had this reprogrammed to select 5th gear to start off with. This give you the option of say rolling down a gradual grade at 60-65 without needing to use the brakes. Heck with that displacements braking HP, you might not even need to engage Low Jake. (Midi size blocks, like my ISL or say a CAT C9, with much less size displacement to add braking HP - will often use 5th gear Low Jake to coast down longer lower percentage downgrades.) You may find that you like things as are, and for sure, it is all about what you like. The advantage of 5th is, well, it lets you use 5th as an option with Jake Braking - and you still have the option at the push of a button to go down to 4th if needed. Where as if you start out in 4th with Jake on, the speed and RPM combo may not be what you want. Perhaps with that coach and that drive train rolling along at 50-55 vs 60-65 MPH that would be available with 5th gear.

Enough from me:)! Go finish the process, and get familiar with this coach as is. Have fun, be safe,
Smitty

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to check:

Date of DOT tires

Leaks

Checking

Airbag system

Engine/trans

When which services were cmpleted

If owner has all receipts or done work himself

Is there any specific questions I should ask the inspector to look for that may be model or brand specific?

Someone from this forum reached out and we discussed many topics surrounding Dp's and specifically Monaco Signature, and it was really helpfull!

Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the pics...It is more than i wanted to spend, but maybe i can get the seller down a bit more after the inspections.

Ralph Lauren Interior ~

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats...
It looks like you went all out here and definitely made the right decision for buying a quality built coach. I would rather have something like that, than a brand new entry level unit, any day of the week. Someone even broke it in for you and most likely got a lot of the bugs out with not many miles since.
As for posting your find, early on, I think you made the right decision there, as well, since most states have a few days cancellation clause and just in case you're told something, that you're not aware of and feel that you can't live with.
It looks like you dodged one bullet already by getting an ISX engine.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:

I immediately thought of you when Ocean Mist showed that picture. If it had a DD 60 Series, he probably would have to fight you for it. 😛

MM.
Mr.Mark

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful coach! Looks very clean inside as well.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I have read on other forums about the isx dropping valves to the tune of 20-30k to repair. I think these were 600-650hp engines.
Big hp a series 60 or a Volvo
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU