cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mobile home park and RVing

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Three years ago I sold my wood house, paid off the motor home and paid cash for a modular home in an adult community. The people who lived in our place before us were RVers and had 30amp available in front of the house. We keep our motor home in covered storage a few miles from home. Before We bought here I asked about loading the motor home and they said we could park it in front of the house and move it to the club parking lot at night. We just got a new manager and the first notice out said motor home were not to be parked in front of house all day, it created a traffic hazard. I'm wondering if anyone else lives in a community like this and what are their rules about parking motor homes.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
25 REPLIES 25

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
"How do you know this park does not have an HOA and covenants? Just because it's a mobile home park does not mean it can't have an HOA."

I see nothing that indicates that this is an incorrect statement. In the development that I have a house in the original president/directors/bottle washer for the HOA was one man, the owner/developer. Only later did this change to a more "normal" setting.
bumpy

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
A California mobile home park is not an HOA. It is more like an apartment building. Owned by a person or a business group. Governed by state laws, with additional policies set by the owners. The occupants rarely have any say in what is allowed unless it is one of the few parks where occupants own the land. Here, we own our houses and lease our spaces from the park owner.

How do you know this park does not have an HOA and covenants? Just because it's a mobile home park does not mean it can't have an HOA.

Tiger4x4RV is correct. We live in just such a manufactured home community also, but in Arizona. The property is owned by the original family that developed it. They alone set the community's rules and regulations. You are provided 2 copies of rules when you buy your home. They keep the signed copy. There is no HOA. We each own our home, but not the land it sits on, and pay monthly lot rent. We have an onsite storage lot in the community where we can store our motorhome. It can be parked in front of our house for 48 hours to load/unload. Maybe not ideal...but it works for us.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
We

just got a new manager

and the first notice out said motor home were not to be parked in front of house all day...

This is a perfect example of why having an RV/Boat etc and buying a home where there are any type of HOA's in place is 'never' a good idea.

The HOA when you buy the house may have certain rules that you are ok with and fit your needs, BUT, like I stated many times.....they elect a new President every year and the next guy can get the whole HOA changed if he so desires and gets the votes to do so. And in some HOA's the President of the Association doesn't even need votes to change it.

And in my experience there is never a grandfather clause. what happens is the majority of the home owners, who 'news flash' most are NOT RV owners are changing the rules because they don't like them so they don't grandfather anyone in. The RV owner always looses.

To the OP: You won't have a leg to stand on. The change in the rules will stay in place and won't be able to park the MH.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lot of know it alls on here. I built a house where there are no regulations. The electric co inspected the wiring when it was roughed in and that was it. No permits no zoning, nothing. Park what you want and do what you want just pay your taxes and they are happy. Those of you who choose to live in HOAs and areas with restrictions that restrict you have chosen to be there and either must comply or move. My neighbors are cows on all 4 sides!

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Why aren't you grandfathered

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
chag67 wrote:
This is exactly why I will never live in a neighborhood with an HOA. I have lived in 2 and will never again. In my experience, there is always at lease one home owner who is retired and drives around just looking for violations. HOA's operate under the illusion that it keeps the property value up. Almost every city have ordinances already in place that keep home owners from letting their property go to hell. You don't need an HOA for that. Unless the community is fully gated and monitored by a security guard (24/7), then the property value is not affected.

The last HOA I had the "privilege" of being a part of had a rule that said you couldn't fly any flag on the house (no team sports or even the American flag). They also had a rule that the mailboxes could not be decorated for any reason. You couldn't even put balloon attached to the mailbox for a birthday party.

Agreed. There's always a couple folks running the HOA who never had power and now they think they do, have way too much time on their hands and take it waaay too seriously. I mean, how does not letting your RV in your drive longer than 24 hours to load it affect property value?
2013 ACE 29.2

chag67
Explorer
Explorer
This is exactly why I will never live in a neighborhood with an HOA. I have lived in 2 and will never again. In my experience, there is always at lease one home owner who is retired and drives around just looking for violations. HOA's operate under the illusion that it keeps the property value up. Almost every city have ordinances already in place that keep home owners from letting their property go to hell. You don't need an HOA for that. Unless the community is fully gated and monitored by a security guard (24/7), then the property value is not affected.

The last HOA I had the "privilege" of being a part of had a rule that said you couldn't fly any flag on the house (no team sports or even the American flag). They also had a rule that the mailboxes could not be decorated for any reason. You couldn't even put balloon attached to the mailbox for a birthday party.
2018 Grand Design Solitude 379FLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm reminded of a recent article in the paper where a member of a HOA development didn't buy the $500 mail box that was insisted on. He won in court but cost $38,000 IIRC. of course he would sue the HOA for that.
bumpy

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
A California mobile home park is not an HOA. It is more like an apartment building. Owned by a person or a business group. Governed by state laws, with additional policies set by the owners. The occupants rarely have any say in what is allowed unless it is one of the few parks where occupants own the land. Here, we own our houses and lease our spaces from the park owner.

How do you know this park does not have an HOA and covenants? Just because it's a mobile home park does not mean it can't have an HOA.
2013 ACE 29.2

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, HOA's and their administrators at various levels often like to give the illusion that their word is law. It isn't. In fact many laws in many states (mine and my HOA as example) and the covenants conflict. More to the point that sometimes what is in an HOA covenant is technically illegal. My approach is that it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. The law in our state says that if I have my RV parked in my neighborhood longer than allowed by the HOA, they have to give me 72 hours before a written warning can be delivered, and if not rectified by that timeframe, legal matters can ensue and the objective of a legal approach is to remove the RV. By that time I'm loaded and gone. I let the HOA huff and puff all they want, but I know the law and my rights under the law. Read your HOA covenants carefully and understand the law in your area.
2013 ACE 29.2

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:

I bet there are rules and regulations at your spot in middle Tennessee. You can't dump raw sewerage on your land, I bet. You had to have your home inspected and approved before your county/city would issue a certificate of occupancy. Your electric system had to be inspected and approved before the electric provider would turn on the "juice," and the list goes on!!!!!

AHA, I bet the Unibomber didn't have any rules where he lived.
bumpy

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
every spot in the USA has some kind of zoning rules.

Not true. No zoning, HOA, ordinances, laws or any other kind of rules at my home in middle Tennessee. There are plenty of places in America where there no restrictive rules.

I bet there are rules and regulations at your spot in middle Tennessee. You can't dump raw sewerage on your land, I bet. You had to have your home inspected and approved before your county/city would issue a certificate of occupancy. Your electric system had to be inspected and approved before the electric provider would turn on the "juice," and the list goes on!!!!!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
every spot in the USA has some kind of zoning rules.

Not true. No zoning, HOA, ordinances, laws or any other kind of rules at my home in middle Tennessee. There are plenty of places in America where there no restrictive rules.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU