cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No spare tire holder on our 2011 Coachmen Mirada 29ds. What?

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
We thought we had checked this motorhome thoroughly, but didn't notice there's no spare tire, and no apparent place to put one. It's a done deal now, but can anyone tell us are we having a bad dream or does this rig not come with a tire and a place to put it? I have a call in to a dealer, but haven't heard back, and don't know if anyone there will be able to tell me, and I'm betting someone here will. Thank you very much.
22 REPLIES 22

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same question, both 2003 Newmar and was told NO SPARE TIRE since they are about 200 pounds mounted or more. Takes up too much room and who the hell is going to wrestle the tire out and pump up the chassis to get the tire off to speak nothing of getting the bolts off etc. Get Good Sam or Coach Net towing and they come and bring a tire and put it on, problem is, they get to charge whatever for that tire. THAT is scary so keep out of gutters and watch your tire pressure etc.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I have AAA RV, but I would never travel without a spare and the tools to change it if needed. Had 3 blowouts on my Class C(s) over the course of 26 years; glad I had the tire/equipment. My current Class A has a 19.5" mounted spare and tools in a side compartment under the bed (in the slideout). Yes it's high, and yes it would be a bi_ch to get out/in. But if it is needed, it IS there, and I am not relying on whatever tire roadside service can get/find, nor am I dependent on whether or not I can even REACH that service (cell signal) nor whether they will actually come to me (often boondock off the beaten path).

I also know that I can remove the platform under my bed mattress with just a few screws, exposing that spare tire, so if I CAN'T get it out/back in from the outside, it COULD be rolled in through the door and into the bedroom, worst case scenario.:D
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
added a hoist and mounted 22.5 spare to my A. Needed it once on July 4th, glad I had it (especially due to Michelin shortage in my tire size). Had a spare in my C, needed it once, glad I had it. Let Coach Net change it while I enjoyed a cool drink. We all have different risk-tolerance and luck....do what makes you feel good, there is no wrong answer

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous coach with 295/80R/22.5 tires we drove just shy of 70,000 miles in 7.5 yrs. (new set of tires at 57,000 miles and 6.5 yrs.) and never had a tire failure.

With the new coach, we have Michelin 365's on the front and tag axles, 315's on the drive axle. You would not believe how wide a 365 tire is, and, I can only imagine how much they weigh.

If we carried a spare, I would need two different sizes. So, I'll leave it to the roadside service.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
We keep a mounted 22.5" tire in a compartment. Half the tire sits on a pass-thru shelf and the front half is supported by a 3/4 inch piece of rebar, about 4 foot long....with the ends sitting on the compartment frame. A 2x4 wood brace secures the rebar. Did this 4-5 years ago and it has held up fine.

We have road service to do the tire change. Others have used a heavy duty tire carrier that goes into your hitch.

(The shelf is not tall enough to hold the entire mounted spare).
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
StuckinTracy wrote:
When we bought our first class A, I asked the sales man about that. He said they did not put a spare on because they were afraid someone would try and use it. :S

THIS is why people hate salesman. Doug

Reminds me of a news story I heard several years ago about a consumer group who wanted to have some allergy medication (I think maybe Claritin) approved for over-the-counter sales. The drug company was, somewhat to my surprise at the time, not in favor of it; the reason they stated was that they were afraid people might self-medicate.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
StuckinTracy wrote:
When we bought our first class A, I asked the sales man about that. He said they did not put a spare on because they were afraid someone would try and use it. :S

THIS is why people hate salesman. Doug

StuckinTracy
Explorer
Explorer
10 Rally's and counting...

Mike (me-pilot)
Gail ("I'M THE BOSS"-navigator)

Stuck in a tent but looking

Good Sam Life members
FMCA 370826

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 22.5" casing in the trunk of my toad. Saves room in the basement. Those casings weigh 90 lbs and I'll let my road service guy man handle it around if I ever need to have it mounted.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
My RV is a 2004 Winnebago which I bought new in 2004 and it did not come with a spare tire! I asked why and Winnebago said there was too many back injuries to RVers handling those heavy tires and rims! This is a very good point but also a good excuse for Winnebago too save money on every coach going out the door since 2004 without a extra tire in the coach! They saved millions of dollars by this move!

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
At 56 I am one of the younger guys that I have seen driving a class A and I consider myself to be in fairly decent shape. I have taken a 22.5" tire off for maintenance at home and it was a big job. Just taking 10 lug nuts off and torquing them all back to 600ft/lbs was work out with a 3' long wrench weighing about 10lbs. I can see why few people bother carrying a spare.

At 64 I can agree with most all you say above, we too started out in a Class A at about 53. Our previous rig was an Itasca Sunova. We had 19.5s. It came with a spare, but the spare was located in a side compartment on the driver side up under the bed. We did have a flat and needed to change it. At that time I used Road Service, only took 4 hours to get them out! and that was 10 miles from Annapolis, MD! I found it impossible to get teh tire back up into the compartment alone and in fact even with help i was a job. I built a carrier and mounted it on the tow hitch. Didn't do the Roadmaster pivot thing, rather I used an extension above the carrier and a spare come-a-long to lift the tire. Not being a Rear Engine this was acceptable. I am looking at buying the Roadmaster unit and carrying a spare on our new Tiffin RED. Hate to be out at the mercy of the local service provider. I bought and carried a 43" breaker bar, an impact wrench and a small scissors jack to support the breaker bar. On our new rig I am considering the Roadmaster unit as it allows access to the rear engine hatch. Still looking at mounted vs unmounted spare.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

sportech
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a spare because of the somewhat unusual size (295R80-22.5), I have room and it didn't cost anything. It's a take off from my last round of new tires with no cracks. It will at least get me to a tire dealer for a matching size and without waiting any longer than necessary for a service person to get to my location.

Also, it seems that if I am prepared for a particular type of breakdown, it never happens!

Dave
07 Rev 40E

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 56 I am one of the youger guys that I have seen driving a class A and I consider myself to be in fairly decent shape. I have taken a 22.5" tire off for maintenance at home and it was a big job. Just taking 10 lug nuts off and torquing them all back to 600ft/lbs was work out with a 3' long wrench weighing about 10lbs. I can see why few people bother carrying a spare.

AZAmmochief
Explorer
Explorer
Roadmaster has a spare carrier, which fits in the receiver hitch. I have the spare mounted there rather than take up a shole storage bay. The design of the carrier allows one person to rotate the tire up or down with ease. However, like many, I have a road service change the tire, the safety way to be.

Roadmaster 195225 Spare Tire Carrier