cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan Emerald Plus 4000 won't start

JandKSunshine
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! We've got a problem with our generator. Our RV is fairly new (to us), it's a 30-foot '95 Winnebago Adventurer, And the generator worked when we got it a couple months ago. We ran it once for upkeep, but then when I tried to start it this time, it wouldn't kick over.
I press the start button, it'll do one revolution, if that, and then click a bunch of times. It does that with and without the RV running. The battery was just replaced, so I know it has juice.
Any suggestions? Solenoid? Starter?
Thank you!
15 REPLIES 15

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
JandKSunshine wrote:
I haven't been able to find anything closer, though.

Go here: https://cumminsengines.com

Cummins now owns/makes the Onan generators and the name Onan is due to disappear on new production very soon.

Find a dealer near you. Call them with the model number.

They should be able to get you the right muffler; might even be able to have it shipped directly to your house.

It is important to have the right one......and to install it correctly....to prevent a carbon monoxide leak that can get inside the living quarters. If the muffler rusted out, the exhaust pipe might not be far behind.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

JandKSunshine
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone! I think it was the battery. I plugged the RV into shore power, and was able to get it to turn over. A second problem was that it wasn't getting fuel - I found a break in one of the fuel lines, and that fixed the problem. It's running great now, with one exception - there's a hole in the muffler, and I'm thinking that's probably the reason for the loud backfire when I shut it off. Would that be a good assumption? Would anyone know where I can find a muffler for it? I'm having difficulty finding a part number. 155-1258 looks close, but the one I have doesn't have a pipe sticking out of the side. I haven't been able to find anything closer, though.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned two motorhomes. One was connected to the house batteries and one to the chassis batteries so there is no single or correct or right way. It just depends on preference as there are reasons to do it either way. You just need to know how yours is connected and then operate accordingly.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
You can bridge the chassis battery to it and try again..Press and hold the bridge battery with engine running...do that for at least 1 minute...then try again.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
My guess, as well, is it's connected to house battery. Check that voltage and see what you get.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
JandKSunshine wrote:
I just replaced the starter battery. I'm thinking that's the battery that starts the generator, too? Or am I wrong on that?
I'll try the connections next. I haven't tested the voltage at the starter yet.

Usually the house battery starts the generator. It usually charges BOTH batteries.

If you have a multimeter, check the voltage of the house battery. I'll bet it's about dead ๐Ÿ˜‰

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
We can guess or you can use the troubleshooting guide from flightsystems
http://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/onan-rv-troubleshooting-guide.pdf
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
JandKSunshine wrote:
The battery was just replaced, so I know it has juice.

Without a quick test, at least a voltage measurement, you really don't know that for sure.

Was the new battery charged before being installed ?

Sure sounds like a battery or connection problem.

And no, the battery that starts the main engine is NOT the one that starts the generator. The "house" battery does that.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

furycove
Explorer
Explorer
In our 2000 Country Coach the genset is started from the house battery. The start battery is dedicated to the main engine only.
There may be a momentary combiner switch on your dash that will combine the two sets of batteries while you try and start the genset.
Hope this helps...good luck!

JandKSunshine
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced the starter battery. I'm thinking that's the battery that starts the generator, too? Or am I wrong on that?
I'll try the connections next. I haven't tested the voltage at the starter yet.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a weak battery or bad battery connections.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Which battery did you just replace, the house or the starter battery?

I'm guessing you have 2, right?

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
How many volts at the generator when trying to start? Did you try to jump start it right at the generator?