cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rough engine start on a 2000 Ford Triton V10

classctioga73
Explorer
Explorer
I hope this is the correct forum for my question.

So I store my M.H. outdoors and I live in Northern California in the Bay Area. It rarely gets below freezing out here. I have a 2000 Fleetwwod class C on a Ford Triton V10 gasoline engine. the last time I drove the coach was a camping trip in mid November 2016. I went to start up the motor last month and it did not want to start on the first time, in fact it took about 12-16 times and repeated gas pedal pumping to get it to start. Once she started it stayed on.i thought nothing major could be wrong.
So I just went back this morning and the same issue, it took a good 12-14 times to get it to start. I did put it into drive but didn't move due to the tarp and wheel covers still on. The engine has 47,000 miles on it.
Do you think this is a clogged fuel filter, bad fuel pump, bad fuel injectors, bad fuel sensors? the engine seemed to stay idle pretty good after i got it running, the battery is less than 2 years old. The engine clicks over but just no start up
Does anyone have any ideas what it might be? is it lack of starting it up for prolonged period of time, or the engine hasn't gotten any road miles ? I always go to start her up once a month and never had this problem ever before, but for theses past 2 months i have had this issue of not starting right away. Any info would be appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

classctioga73
Explorer
Explorer
So i was able to hook up a pressure gauge to the schrader valve and got a reading of 29psi. is that deemed good or bad fuel pressure? does any one know

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
No, no difference. You might also want to change the fuel filter before you do the pump. It will probably be the pump but since RV's sit so much your filter could be plugged up. Modern ethanol gas tends to eat seals and corrode things but the older none ethanol would form sludge and varnish.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

classctioga73
Explorer
Explorer
E-450 Super Duty 6.8L V10 to be exact

classctioga73
Explorer
Explorer
so i gave wrong info on the type of engine, its a 450 SUPER DUTY V10 and not the Triton
does this make a difference in the problems its having to start??

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Don't touch the accelerator, it only serves to confuse the computer, this isn't a carb that you have to pump to get gas to spray in the intake. Turn the key on, listen for the fuel pump to come on and run for about 10 or 15 seconds and shut off. The computer turns on the pump, and then starts looking for engine rotation, it doesn't see it, so it shuts the pump off. Slowly cycle the key on, listen and wait for the pump to run and stop, key off, key back on and pump runs, repeat a couple or three times. This pushes fuel up to the injection manifold. It should then start easily when you actually crank the engine over. If you cannot hear the pump, get someone to lay down under the fuel tank area and listen while you cycle the key.

My old '91 Ranger sits a lot, and I usually have to do this to get fuel back up to the engine so it will start easily. After that it starts OK till it sits again.

Most RV's have couple of inch thick floors of wood and foam and possibly aluminum sheet, structure, etc. Personally I consider it bad form to hack a hole in the floor of anything to change a fuel pump, if the pump is weak, bite the bullet and drop the tank. The pump will be retained in the tank with a large plastic nut, and will either require the proper tool for loosening and tightening the nut, or at worst, a 18 inch or so pair of channel lock pliers. Not something you can or want to do thru a hole in the floor of your coach.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

grinder613
Explorer
Explorer
Do not pump the gas on a fuel injected engine. It does no good. If it will not start on the first try, your fuel line probably lost pressure. It needs 40 plus pounds of pressure to fire the injectors. Here is what you do. Turn key off to run 3-4 times or more to pressurize the fuel line. The reason you have to do it this way is the fuel pump will not stay running if the engine does not start. Safety reasons. DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE IN PLACE. You are doing more harm than good. If it does not start, then you have to check the fuel pressure. If you are handy, I believe there is a valve for checking on the fuel rail on the engine. for that purpose. If there is no pressure in the fuel lines, then most likely your fuel pump is toast. Simple way of replacing fuel pump. Cut a "trap door" in you floor over the gas tank. Makes the job simple. Cover the door with a throw rug. I have found that old gas over a year old will still run the V10. Not so much the Onan generator. ( thanks Onan engineers). On the generator, put a switch on the fuel pump 12 volt line and run the generator dry. Works for me.
2000 Coachman Leprechaun 31ss......1999 Ford E450 super duty

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
Go to any chain auto parts store and they will read out your engine codes for you. I would recommend Starbrite Startron gas treatment only because it is more concentrated than most, 1 oz treats 8-16 gal and you can get a big bottle on Amazon. Its what we use in the boat because that has a 225 gal tank and it is what all the marine mech on the shore recommend. I always add it to the last fill before I get home and then run the generator at the house for an hour just to be sure its in the carb on that too.
Sam

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely check for rodent nests.

If you are a DIY, got to one of the big auto parts stores and rent a fuel system pressure gauge. Hook it up and observe the fuel pressure while cranking.

If the pressure is good while cranking try this.
  • Crank for about 20-30 seconds without touching the gas pedal
  • Wait 30 seconds and repeat
  • After you start cranking the third time, start pressing the accelerator pedal until it is on the floor
  • Hold it there for the last 10 seconds of crank time.

If this "solves" you problem, the real problem is a sticky Idle Air Control valve.

ghsebldr
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem with my 2005 v-10 class C. My local mechanic did a house call for me and found a huge mouse house in the air intake pipes. He cleaned it out and had me install a mesh screen at the intake right next to the hood release just above the radiator. Haven't had the problem since. A couple of years later he found the same thing in my newer Promaster Van. **** mice.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The fuel pump is dying needs a new one, pumping the gas pedal does not do anything at all, the V-10 is fuel injected and pumping the gas pedal only aggravates everything, only carbureted engines will squirt a bit of fuel when pumped.

Until you replace the pump, to start it turn the key but do not crank the engine, count one thousand and one, two thousand and two turn key off and repeat at least six more times on the seventh time go ahead and crank the engine and it will start, a bit rough and then it should stabilize.

To replace the pump, the fuel tank needs to be lowered since the pump is in the tank, do the mechanics a favor and take it when the tank reads 1/4 full, do not take it with a full tank, they will drain that fuel and will not pump it back in.

navegator

classctioga73
Explorer
Explorer
so where would the solenoids be located at? how would i make a circuit around them?

what brand fuel treatment is best?

how do i check stored engine codes?

i hear the engine try to start but it just cranks and no actual engine start, so i think the starter is working fine.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
samven 1:
I think pumping the gas pedal does no good either, but if the throttle position sensor was faulty, holding the accelerator pedal down a bit and trying to start the motor will work,.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I think your description of the problem is vague. Seems to me like your problem is probably one of the two solenoids/relays for the starter motor. Check them first. You can create a circuit around them to check them out.

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
First pumping the pedal will not do anything on a fuel injected engine. The computer makes all the fuel decisions. Second, starting the engine without putting it under load and getting it up to operating temp for at least 15 min is doing way more harm than good and unless you are idling for a really long time you are killing your battery too. Most alternators dont put out much current until they are spinning pretty good. The next time you go to the RV take someone with you and have them listen underneath at the fuel tank as you turn the key on, but dont start the engine. See if they can hear the fuel pump running. If so it should stop in a few seconds, then try to start the engine. If it takes longer to stop pumping get your fuel pressure checked. It may be starting now but if the pump is going there is a good chance that when you hit a hill and step down on the gas the engine will stall from fuel starvation and you will get and engine code, maybe many.
Sam