Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Tires

Rambler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wanting to pick a few brains.
I am about to buy tires for my motorhome again.
2001 Pace Arrow Vision 36 foot, have been running Michelin XRV 245/70/19.5 load range F (12ply)
Tire dealer is suggesting the Michelin XZE 245/70/19.5 load range H (16ply).
Question is:
Is this load range an overkill for my motorhome?
Will it make it ride stiff?
Your thoughts please

Thanks to all in advance
Rambler
"Going Somewhere"
2022 Holiday Rambler Invicta 33HB
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
RVI3 Brake System
& Martin Guitar
13 REPLIES 13

Rambler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the feedback on this topic.
Have to think this thru now.
I am an FMCA member but never used there Michelin program
Is the savings worth going with the program?

Thanks Again
Rambler
Rambler
"Going Somewhere"
2022 Holiday Rambler Invicta 33HB
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
RVI3 Brake System
& Martin Guitar

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Rambler, there are only 2 true tires made for RV applications : Michelin XRV and Goodyear 670. These tires are made of soft rubber due to all the sitting that a RV does. The rubber on these tires are treated to withstand UV Rays from the sun, which destroys tire life. You will want to get the strongest sidewall rating possible. Michelin XZE are hard rubber truck tires! I ran XZE's on my Semi for 25 years before I retired. If your tire budget is price sensitive you may opt to go with a cheaper tire. As others suggestive you can join FMCA and they offer a Michelin Fleet Tire Program where you can buy Michelin Tires at a discount. Good Luck in your tire search.

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
I have same tires & same load range on my motorhome. They are excellent, much better than GY G670 that were on the motorhome before.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first thing is to weigh your coach before you make any decision. Yes look at the FMCA tire program.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We have Michelin load range H on our 34' Class A. Ride great. Are you going through the FMCA Michelin discount program?
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 19.5 tires on my RV and I also installed the G rated Hankook so I can tow an heavy trailer with a higher tonged weight, if I was to replace the tires I would stay with the F rated in front and G rated in back, the G rated is harder and can be a harder ride but the safety factor is so much better,

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
It is not overkill if the LR-H tire can be safely run at the inflation pressure appropriate to the load on the tire. If the minimum inflation pressure is higher, then you might find the ride harsher and you will likely have a smaller contact patch at the higher pressure.

I'm pretty sure it has a minimum inflation pressure, probably in the 70-80 PSI range. Steel body tires need a certain inflation level to prevent metal fatigue. Inflated to 100 PSI, it will carry same load as maximum for LR-F, inflated to 120 maximum load pressure for LR-H, it will have another 1300 pounds margin for heavier loads.

Almost any truck tire will give you a harsher ride than the XRV, which was a special "soft" tire for RV applications only. This premium truck tire will also be a lot tougher than the XRV, with respect to dealing with road hazards, because of different rubber compounds and construction features.

This is your answer..
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
Have you ever weighed your motor home?

precisely. preferably you want a weight at each corner as the MH is loaded and packed for travel. 4-corner weights can be difficult to get so at a minimum get individual axle weights and go from there.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Hankook makes good commercial truck tires that are not too expensive.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Compare the load range of the dealer recommended tire to the front and rear axle maximum weight rating. You want to match the tires to the axles. Would load range G be a better option? Also is the dealer up selling a more expensive tire which you don't necessarily need?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is not overkill if the LR-H tire can be safely run at the inflation pressure appropriate to the load on the tire. If the minimum inflation pressure is higher, then you might find the ride harsher and you will likely have a smaller contact patch at the higher pressure.

I'm pretty sure it has a minimum inflation pressure, probably in the 70-80 PSI range. Steel body tires need a certain inflation level to prevent metal fatigue. Inflated to 100 PSI, it will carry same load as maximum for LR-F, inflated to 120 maximum load pressure for LR-H, it will have another 1300 pounds margin for heavier loads.

Almost any truck tire will give you a harsher ride than the XRV, which was a special "soft" tire for RV applications only. This premium truck tire will also be a lot tougher than the XRV, with respect to dealing with road hazards, because of different rubber compounds and construction features.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if they,ve done a good job? why change, and ask the dealer why he says go up, I think you,d get a stiffer ride. p.s. I have michlin and love them second set.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever weighed your motor home?
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind