cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire life

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any consesus on how soon you replace tires on a motorhome? I'm about to purchase a motorhome with tires dated 3811. I think I should replace them even though they look like new, just to be safe.
Anybody disagree?
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy
14 REPLIES 14

EmergencyNrse
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, been doing a lot of reading. Lots still to learn.
My tires say they were born in '06
No cracks, they don't seem dry or hardened. Still "rubbery" but @ 11-years I don't want a blowout or any catastrophic failures. Time for a new set and piece of mind...
Thanks for this thread and everyone's input.

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Changed out the fronts last year, at 11 years and the rears last week. heading out to Florida in a couple days, and didn't want to do another trip on those tires, so now I have 6 new XRV's, The last trip to Tybee, last fall, worried about tires there and back!! The ones I took off was not cracked at all, but the side walls were ruff, like sand paper.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Without knowing the history and how well and often the previous owner used them, I would replace the front two and then have the rear four inspected and use one of the fronts if any fail the inspection. I would carry the best of the two as an unmounted spare on the roof. I went seven years on my front tires that I put almost all of the miles on and 10 years on the six rear tires. I did swap the two tag tires to the front at five years. All 8 tires are now on the back of my 10 wheel dump truck...14 years old.

I bet most people are missing this... OP, Do you short trip and see how things go. Remember, its not hot yet, so things may not show up. We had 12 years on the duals before changing, at better than 50% tread, we have 11 on the fronts. Maintain pressures and check them often and you should be good. YMMV.

Good luck and enjoy you new to you MH.
Wildmanbaker

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Like Gjac said. and if it isn't cracking alon g the wall I'd put it on the rear and run it like I owned it.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without knowing the history and how well and often the previous owner used them, I would replace the front two and then have the rear four inspected and use one of the fronts if any fail the inspection. I would carry the best of the two as an unmounted spare on the roof. I went seven years on my front tires that I put almost all of the miles on and 10 years on the six rear tires. I did swap the two tag tires to the front at five years. All 8 tires are now on the back of my 10 wheel dump truck...14 years old.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Age of the tire is just part of the equation as to when you replace tires. Heat buildup, low pressure, sun light, sitting for long periods, damage from pot holes, how close to max tire rating vs weight of your MH, and where you live all factor in. Someone on here a few years back posted a gov't study that was very interesting showing tire failures from blow outs being much higher in the southern states due to heat. Everyone's situation is different and some are more risk averse than others so changing tires every 7 years seems comfortable. Some would argue every 5 years is safer and they would be right. I live up north and my tires are always in the shade when parked, I inflate to max pressure, each tire carries the same weight and well below max rating I probably won't replace until 10 years unless I sell the MH first. Tires can be broken down and inspected from the inside for any damage or tread separation.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
My general plan was to go 7 yrs. of which I did with our previous coach. Since our new coach is much heavier, I'm going to stick to a 5yr. rule, so in 2019, I'll get a new set (tires dated 2014).

My goal is to never have a breakdown if at all possible. The damage a blow-out can cause could be very expensive and time consuming waiting for repairs, etc.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we had a class C and an A, 6-7 years was the goal.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Moved from Forum Technical Support

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I would at least put 2 new steer tires on the rig before any journey.
Loss of ster tire could be disastrous
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
I'm th OP on this thread. Thanks for the comments.
I think I'll take it in a 100 mile shake down trip and then replace the belts, shocks, tires and have all the hoses checked before heading out on an extended trip out west.
I also have to change my signature to say
Winnebago Journey Diesel.
Thanks again.
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I may be wrong but I my self would run them this year to get every thing sorted
out on the new to you rig. If you have plans for a long range trip this year
I would maybe change them out. If they look like new they may have been garaged
or covered most the time.
Congrats on your new rig, Brian

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I replace tires after 5 years, but my steer axle goes to the tag after 3 years.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with you. Replace the tires. Then you will know their history and that they are driven while inflated to the proper pressure.

6-8 years seems to be when many RVers change tires.