cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing A Equinox 65 MPH Max

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
I took our new car to a scale at Jays and it weigh in at 4,070 pounds with a full tank of gas . Also I tried my new Good Sams card and it worked and got 3 cents off a gallon. It did ask for a code number but I just pushed enter and it asked for my zip cod and it worked. Fun time at a truck stop. I all so called GM and asked when in the hills if going down a hill would it damage anything if once in a while I went let say 70 going down a hill they called me back an hr latter and said you will have to break it all the way down a grade and to not go over 65 mph at any time. If any of you tow a Equinox please weigh in and let me know how you do it. We had a Trailblazer as our old toad and it had no speed limit.
10 REPLIES 10

lunch_surfer
Explorer
Explorer
Read the CYA message on the sidewall of the coach tires. Chances are they read Speeds are not to exceed 65 MPH. As stated its a CYA for safety reasons. Just be careful and use your best judgement. If you are unsure, play it safe. Being conservative regarding safety is the way to be. My 2 cents.......enjoy and relax, you are on vacation!
Thanks,
lunch surfer
Mandalay 40e
Traveling USA looking for the best bike trails and campsites.

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your post I two drive at 62 mph most of the time but do like to use the down hill run to get up the next grade. I try to do as the truckers do as far as using the down hill run up to save running my coach hard up the hills . If I hit 70 going down I slow down to 50 mph or slower going up so it is not like I am driving all day long at 70 mph.I know hear in Ohio the turnpike has went up to 70 as well as some State Roads so I will be spending 99% of the time in the far right lane. This is a great site with great people Thanks Again.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
It most likely won't hurt anything if you go 70 with it once in awhile....that said, you'll for certain hurt a lot of things if you have a blowout or any other emergency going that fast..:S..be safe...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

mmccwill
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2011 Equinox, & I have towed over 65 -- Not much, but when passing or going down hill, I don`t hold back -- William Willard

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't tow, but we keep our speed at 55-60. Not only for the gas savings, but because we are in a big rig that take a long ways to stop. How far does it take you to stop a rig towing doing 70 mph?

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have occasionally pulled our Terrain (sister to your Equinox) over the 65 limit and have yet to experience any problems. However, I don't think that I've ever been over 70 with it and I sure wouldn't go over 65 as a sustained speed.

We typically drive 62 - 65 and now have about 50K on the Terrain with probably close to 20K being towed.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I tow either a 2007 HHR or a 2011 Ford Ranger 4WD. Both automatic trannys. The motorhome is usually on cruise control at a bit over 60mph. I do that not because of any limitations that GM or Ford say....but any faster than that, my fuel gauge drops awful fast.

I would hazard a guess that the speed limit GM (or Ford) mention is, as said before, a CYA situation....or a LEGAL thing....so I wouldn't worry too much about it. What I WOULD worry about is if they told you to pull over every couple hundred miles and start the motor to get oil flowing in the tranny....that is needed or you'll replace the tranny...but it is a royal PITA..
And that is why, IMO if one is in the market for a toad...pick one that can be towed 4 down with NO limitations like starting the motor periodically. There's quite a few out there. Take your time and reserach.

Just FWIW.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't know about your GM Equinox but I have the same 65MPH towing restriction on my Chevy HHR. I usually cruise at 70 MPH when towing and have done so for 50,000+ miles with the HHR behind. No problems with the HHR which now has 40,000 of it's own driven miles on it. I wouldn't worry about it if you occasionally go over 65 MPH.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
You will have to make the decision as to what you feel you can do with your car. It sounds like the manufacturer states that you cannot do it. Our Suzuki Grand Vitara stated that it could not be towed over 55 mph. We tow it between 60 and 65 mph all of the time. We currently have 100 K on it without a problem.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ct78barnes wrote:
I all so called GM and asked when in the hills if going down a hill would it damage anything if once in a while I went let say 70 going down a hill they called me back an hr latter and said you will have to break it all the way down a grade and to not go over 65 mph at any time.

that is of course what they are "required" to say on such inquiries. that is strictly a CYA situation. of course it will not hurt anything if it hits 66 mph for a short spell. when I towed my tracker I think it said 55 mph max but I pulled it at 60 all the time.
bumpy