cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Class A?

LeslieTx
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve been lurking here for over a year; this is my first post. I’m in the dreaming, scheming, planning phase of becoming a full timer. I can retire in 10 years with a meager pension; working on getting out of debt now to make my limited funds go further towards my nomad life. Last summer we rented a Class C 23’ Coachman Freelander for a 10 day trip through the desert southwest. I learned that it was two small for two adults and three dogs to fulltime in; and, that I’m too old and fat for that over cab bed! 🙂

I’ve pretty much ruled out trailers, because I want the option, during an emergency situation, of getting out of bed and driving away without any outdoor exposure. I’m leaning toward an older, used Class A as our first motorhome. I’m fairly handy, both on the engine and coach side.

I’ve been price shopping/daydreaming on rvtrader and have noticed that Class C’s seem to hold their value longer; or put another way, used Class A’s seem to be priced cheaper than comparable Class C’s. I usually set my maximum on a search at $30K, and get many more hits on Class A motorhomes. My question is, why? Am I missing some inherent flaw in Class A’s?
25 REPLIES 25

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
we left our C because it just could not carry our load it's a cut away of a Van were a A is a true Truck frame and can carry anything we need.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
We own a class A because we winter in Arizona for 3 month and like the extra room. We also haul our CRV and Polaris RZR behind on a 24ft trailer. We also go on fishing trips taking our boat behind, we also go UTVING pulling a smaller trailer and we plan on doing some traveling pulling our CRV behind. So it gives a person a lot of options. But if you have a class A it helps to be handy fixing things, or have extra money as they are quite complex require a fair amount of maintenance.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
LeslieTx wrote:
BigRabbitMan wrote:
There seems to be an aversion to older class A's. Not sure why, but I think that group seems to like newer models so the older ones suffer in price. Note that I drive a very older class A. FMC's in various states of condition come up from time to time. I have rented a class C an and would not have one in my opinion. I would consider a used FMC gas pusher at $5-10,00 and assume $5,000 to clean up any issues and you will have a great class A at under your budget.

PM me if you have any questions.

I'm thinking my first will be used for less than 10K. I've been looking at Holiday Ramblers. Do FMC's have a metal or wood framed coach?

FMC's have an Aluminum body framework with a fiber glass exterior (not laminated!) on the outside of the framework and aluminum sheeting on the inside of the framework. That is then covered with a wall covering. The only wood is the floor, interior walls and the cabinets. The exterior layer of the body is one piece from the middle of one side up and over and down to the middle of the other side so no wall, front or rear cap seams to leak. Only the roof penetrations can create leaks and they are easy to seal.

Also, with the engine in the rear the engine access is much easier than most front engine coaches. Multiple access doors make normal maintenance very easy.

Here is a link to a drawing of the body framework of an FMC. If you then go forward the next two pictures are of the actual framework in the manufacturing process. In one photo the frame is upside down.
FMC framework.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We decided the same thing. After much agonizing, we bought a 31 ft Arctic Fox with slider. Never looked back. Much less money wise to Park, maintain, insure and move around. Besides, I have the use of a pickup, can pull other trailers (I have a boat and a flat trailer) and I carry an extra 100 gallons of fuel on long trips which can save $40.00 between Va and Okla where I go to a lot.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
PPL has some Class A gassers in your price range. They're on Southwest Freeway, drive by and look around.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa/class-a-motorhomes.php

There sure are and to the OP, I'd start with the $40 models and offer the $30 with checkbook and pen in hand. You just might be pleasantly surprised, if you stick to your guns for a day or so...
CLICK AND SCROLL TOWARDS THE BOTTOM
and you may want to... BEGIN WITH THIS ONE
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
PPL has some Class A gassers in your price range. They're on Southwest Freeway, drive by and look around.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa/class-a-motorhomes.php
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
We started with tiny (Toyota) ClassC about 30 years ago and when family was growing - so was RV. Last sold was Prevost conversion.
Now we retired, sold the house and are "fulltiming" in truck camper.
I bought the camper 4 years age, still having bus at the time as with sons out of the house, I could keep the camper at home, while bus had to be in storage.
Anyway, lot of choices and there is no "one shoe fits all".
We are happy with our long camper with single slide. It has all we (and 3 small dogs) need.
But just yesterday neighbor invited DW to her trailer.
3 slides, center kitchen island, electric fireplace - RV sure went long way from our Toyota.
Long ClassA is the most comfortable choice, but also the most expensive and fixing those things on the road is not going to be easy.
Having truck already - for me luxury camper was straight-forward choice.
VERY economical, I can drive and park it everywhere and in emergency I am rolling in 1 minute. Not that you should buy RV with emergency in mind, as those things normally never happen.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
We chose a Class A because we tow a ski boat in the summer and dirt bikes in the spring and fall.
It can be done with a truck and trailer, but here in California, we are limited to 65 total feet. So that means a short Fifth wheel to accommodate the boat and dirt bikes.

Class A has
More storage
Able to bake dinner in oven while traveling
Able to use the bathroom while traveling
Make and eat lunch while traveling
Easier to load and go than trailer, IMHO

For us, the cost of our Class A was about $30,000 less than a truck and trailer of same size and amenities. We already had a tow vehicle.

If you find an RV that has been well taken care of, ownership is not that expensive. Yes, fixing things can get expensive but all of the expensive items in a class a are also in a trailer, I.e. Refer, stove, holding tanks, etc.
Chassis repairs are the difference.

Good luck and have fun. Memories made on the road cannot be repeated at your typical home.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're moving from a Class A to a travel trailer. It's not a crisis and there are some real positives to the class A. For two people it's ideal. Not easy to work on for the DIY-er. The class C would do that better. Engine access on the A is terrible in the places you most frequently touch. Of course the cost of ownership is much higher on a motorhome than on a trailer of fiver. Buying an old used motorhome is a **** shoot. Could be great. Could be the nightmare of your life. If you plan on long trips and lots of road time the A is good. We found out over the years that we don't travel like that. So, the TT will be a better option for the foreseeable future. Again, if you're buying a used motorhome be real sure to get an independent professional to look it over for you before you sign the dotted line. Once you buy it's yours good or bad.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have an A, C, and TT. Class A is best I think for long trips an views. They are not more comfortable to drive than a C, but the views are better. They also have more tow capacity for toads. TT's are great, but not as solid feeling. Like in a class A you really can feel more secure rather than walking through a wiggly coke can. They are also self contained and insulated better.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Initial cost of a C is likely lower, but the GVW is lower, the storage is less, the life expectancy is shorter. That big slice out of the roof over the front seats can leak. Interior usable space is less, the front seats are essentially useless once at your destination. Also depending upon your personal flexibility the driver and passenger may not be able to get from the front seats into the RV without going outside! I could go on, but this is why we have Class A.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

LeslieTx
Explorer
Explorer
BigRabbitMan wrote:
There seems to be an aversion to older class A's. Not sure why, but I think that group seems to like newer models so the older ones suffer in price. Note that I drive a very older class A. FMC's in various states of condition come up from time to time. I have rented a class C an and would not have one in my opinion. I would consider a used FMC gas pusher at $5-10,00 and assume $5,000 to clean up any issues and you will have a great class A at under your budget.

PM me if you have any questions.

I'm thinking my first will be used for less than 10K. I've been looking at Holiday Ramblers. Do FMC's have a metal or wood framed coach?

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Class A's are worth more in the same year model and length, IMO.
C's look like an afterthought and there's just no way we would ever consider one.
A's have much better basement storage.
If you're going to see American and beyond, then it should be out of the largest windshield possible.
With either, you're correct about being able to just pull out and leave, whenever the need, but this only applies to Wally World sites and Rest Areas of some sort, where you're not hooked up to anything.
Again though, it's better with an A and especially with the jacks down and slides out. We can start up and even set the alarm off if need be, while preparing to get underway, from the inside.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Class A motor homes of similar size (length) to Class C generally have a higher GVWR. The fresh, grey, and black water along with the fuel capacities are generally much higher in a Class A. It's not a big deal unless you boon dock a lot versus RV Park camping. (full hookups) As previously mentioned, Class C MH's fall short of Class A's when you compare the dry storage and towing capacities.

In a Class A you usually sit much higher up so your view of the road/scenery is better but Class C's are generally safer for the front occupants if you are unfortunate enough to get in a front end collision.

Chum lee