cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Favorite One-Pot Can Cooker Recipes?

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
DW just got us a "CanCooker". Wondering what some of your favorite one-pot recipes are.
8 REPLIES 8

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Dump Recipes

You might want to check some dump recipes. They are mostly done in crock pots, but you could do them in a dutch oven just as well

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
The Can Cooker has been around for some time. I have never used one. I saw one several years ago at an event DW and I went to, I think a cast iron dutch oven will do basically the same thing, but Big Katuna, thanks for posting the link.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I'm guessing not everyone knows what a can cooker is.

CLICKY LINK

Thanks for that since I was also clueless.

OK, looking at the can cooker, it reminds me of a lobster pot with a tighter fitting lid. Guessing the the sloping upward shape helps create the low pressure action.

What to cook in it?
I'd think that it would work well for stews, soups, chili, and of course clam bakes as a learning start. I'd use the same recipes and seasonings I'm used to making so I became comfy w/ the new cooking toy before moving on:).

Here's a recipe I've been making for my family since the late '70's that makes all happy on this end. Back then, I frequently used chicken wings since raising 2 kiddos, going to school, and working gave me limited time and money; somehow I'm still using the wings even though they are rarely the budget meat cut they used to be..guess it's just a nostalgia moment.I'm sure it would be easy to make in your new pot.

Arroz con Pollo ("Chicken and Rice")

Serves 4-6

1 three-and-one-half-pound chicken, cut into serving pieces (or sub 3 lbs wings, w/ tips cut off)

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup sweet red or green pepper cut into half-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups red, ripe, peeled tomatoes, preferably fresh, or use the canned variety, drained

1/4 cup drained capers
1 bay leaf
24 stuffed green olives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or dried coriander leaves (cilantro)
1 cup cooked ham cut into half-inch dice
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon saffron stamens, optional
1 1/2 cup converted (not minute or instant) natural long-grain rice(I never use anything but Carolina's and it comes out fine)
1 cup very fresh young peas, or use frozen(or substitute a can or frozen version of gandules, found in the ethnic or international aisle)
1 roasted red sweet pepper, cut into strips, or use 1/2 cup canned pimentos cut into strips.(Or just sub pimento stuffed olives)

1. Put the chicken in a flat dish and add salt and pepper to taste, oregano, garlic and vinegar. Blend well with the hands. 2. Heat the one-quarter cup of oil in a heavy casserole and add the chicken pieces skin side down. Cook, turning the pieces often, until golden brown all over.

3. Add the onion and pepper cubes and cook, stirring, about five minutes. Add the tomatoes, capers, bay leaf, olives, coriander leaves, ham and broth.

4. Add the saffron and rice and stir to blend. Cover closely and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

5. Heat the remaining one tablespoon of oil in a saucepan and add the peas and the sweet-pepper strips. Toss until the peas are tender. Cover closely, if necessary, and continue cooking until tender. Pour the peas and pepper strips over the chicken and rice and serve hot.

This is the original recipe but through the years I've made it even simpler by making my own sofrito and freezing it in 1/2 cup increments so I don't need to cut up the veggies when I need 'em.

Here's the recipe for make ahead or use it now Spanish/Latin style sofrito:

http://www.food.com/recipe/sofrito-daisy-martinez-444676

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife thinks it's cute. Neither of us think it's practical. A deep cast iron Dutch oven does the same kind of low pressure cooking and can be used anywhere (except the microwave). ๐Ÿ˜›
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I'm guessing not everyone knows what a can cooker is...

Yup, you got that right. First time I've seen this. Thanks for the link.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm guessing not everyone knows what a can cooker is.

CLICKY LINK

If you Google "Cancooker recipes" there are many out there.

Basically its a low pressure pressure cooker so one pot meals like a can or two of jar Ragu sauce, a bag of frozen meatballs and a box of ziti for 20 minutes works well. Top with grated mozz.

Can cooker can be hard to clean.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think any of the foil packet meals that you can do over a campfire would work in that. I have never cooked in one.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well, other than the crock-pot (meat and potatoes and carrots).... there's always the "one pot" .... popcorn popper! I do think that really IS my most favorite one-pot meal!