cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pantry recipes using canned chicken or salmon?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for recipes that are simple to make with ingredients from the pantry. Looking for ideas of things to make when you haven't been to the store yet...
35 REPLIES 35

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
A pantry recipe using canned or jarred anchovies with the optional addition of canned tuna. Makes a fine Lenten dish.

Spaghetti and Puttanesca Sauce

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The can food I have on hand when traveling are Denison's Chili Beans, Swanson's Chicken Ala King served over wide noodles, soup, can chicken or tuna for sandwiches.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Just remembered this and maybe it's more a fridge cleanout dish than pantry recipe but be your own judge.

We frequently have leftover rice from takeout and I freeze it in qt ZipLoc bags for use in rice pudding, fried rice and rice salads.
Rice salads are common up and down the Mediterranean region and the ingredient list is really about what you like and/or have on hand.

A personal fav for us is mint, peas and tuna rice salad.

To 1 qt of cold cooked rice, add a half hand of mint leaves, olive oil packed tuna, handful of peas, cherry or grape tomatoes, and 1/8-1/4 cup lemon based vinaigrette. You can use a bottled Italian vinegar based dressing and just add lemon juice or lemon zest to taste.

Mix well and place in cooler or fridge for 20-30 minutes. Serve.

Sometimes I serve it as a side dish other times as a lunch dish. Should I want to make it as a light dinner, I add a diced hard boiled egg or 2, cukes and maybe a sprinkle of minced green onion/scallion as a topping. Also nice served in a hollowed tomato when they are in abundance during growing season.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
This just hit me. I used to make it all the time and for some reason, it just got off the rotation.

1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
1 stick of butter (I use less)
1 can french onion soup (condensed)
1 can beef broth
1 can water

In a casserole dish, add chunks of butter to the bottom, add rice, then dump in soup, broth and water. DO NOT STIR! Cover and bake for 1 hr. Remove from oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Stir and serve.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Another canned protein use:

Salad Dressing
instead of carrying a whisk I often just use a lidded glass jar and shake. Leaving about ...a 1/4 of the jar empty leaves enough air for the emulsion to mix better. Sometimes I add dehydrated(soaked in a lil vinegar first) or fresh lemon zest for a change of flavours.

The rest of the can/jar of anchovies can be used in a puttanesca pasta sauce. Many recipes available via the 'net.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Is someone inviting me to dinner?

The man ate the leftover mixture for breakfast with silken tofu (only kind of tofu he'll eat) and scrambled eggs added....sowwy.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
hokeypokey wrote:
Make 2 boxes of macaroni and cheese. Add 1 lb browned hamburger and onions. Done.
I buy 10 lbs of good ground round and brown it with onion, seasonings. Drain and when cool, package in freezer bags. Makes cooking sooooo much easier!

That's great and I had this last night, but made the mac'n'cheese from scratch. It was yummy
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Make 2 boxes of macaroni and cheese. Add 1 lb browned hamburger and onions. Done.
I buy 10 lbs of good ground round and brown it with onion, seasonings. Drain and when cool, package in freezer bags. Makes cooking sooooo much easier!

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
OP dinna mention canned clams but they sit in many a pantry, great for red or white clam sauce; added to corn chowder, or as fritters.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Chicken enchiladas.

We use canned chicken as ready meal. Deli roasted chicken works better but like you asked, pantry meals are good to have on the list. You need cheese that needs refrigeration but even that lasts a long time.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Is someone inviting me to dinner?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
SwanInWA wrote:
bcsdguy wrote:
SwaninWa, could you provide amounts on the chili powder, cumin, and garlic?

I generally just eyeball it, but I'd say roughly 1 TB chili powder, 1 tsp cumin and 2-3 cloves of garlic. A little smokey paprika doesn't hurt either. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.

thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
Some great ideas.

Chicken and rice. Classic southern recipe. I call it "redneck risotto".

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 packet onion dip mix (this can be sprinkled on top after mixing or mixed in - I prefer mixed in)
1.5 soup cans of milk (2 if use brown rice or larger qty white)
1 to 1.5 cups rice (white or brown - brown cook longer)
Add chicken - thighs or canned fine - the additional salt of the canned chicken will enhance the recipe which usually requires additional salt at serving

Bake at 425 F in a casserole tin or dish for 60 minutes covered with foil. Remove foil, check at the 15 minute mark and 30 minute mark. 90 minute total cook typically.

For a tougher rice, you can simply turn off the oven and continue to let it sit for a while.

Next day leftovers are awesome too.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Me and DW don't like fish fresh or canned, never cared much for it and never acquired a taste for it.

Beef, chicken, pork, turkey is more like it for us..

But, for taste and texture, you can freeze those meats after cooking and it generally does not have much effect on texture and taste.. The downside is you do need a lot of freezer space.

DW's company gave her a 19 lb turkey for Christmas, we already had a ham so we finally got around to cooking that last weekend.. I made up 9 plates of turkey "dinners" on heavy coated paper plates.. Covered them in plastic wrap to freeze them overnight then once frozen we vacuum packed them..

Still ate turkey the entire week but we now have quick turkey dinners in the freezer that can be reheated in about 4 minutes in the microwave.. The upside is they should be less than half the sodium than store bought frozen dinners!

:c Hope you found the time to make some turkey carcass soup too!

The Princess (AKA DGD) spent the day with us unexpectedly and when evening came realised what we'd planned for dinner wouldn't do for her. Took a leaf out of this thread and made tuna and black bean fritters served w/ a green salad.

This is how I did it. Need to write it down since I'll nevah remember the exact how to otherwise, LOL.

2 cans of tuna packed in water (staying at my mother's house for the minute so have a different pantry to navigate)

1 whole egg and 2 egg whites (the whites were leftovers)

3" of a frozen baguette, run through the food processor to make breadcrumbs. Could have used a 4 sided grater instead.

1/4 cup of minced green pepper; same amt of minced shallot
1/8 cup of minced celery. Celery leaves have more flav than stalks; would have used 'em if I didn't need them for soup making.

10-12 leaves w/ stems of parsley, chopped

1/3 can of black beans; leftovers. Would have use a touch more if any was available.

2 TBS mayo

about....1-1/2 tsp of fajita seasoning

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes; could hold overnight. Mixture didn't mold well so I added approx 1/8 cup of crumbled cornbread and returned to fridge. Would have added 1/2 the contents of a vacuum packed small can of corn if I'd had one on hand.

Place about 1/4" of olive oil in skillet over medium heat and after 3-4 minutes add tuna mixture to pan using 1/3 cup measure. "Smush" mounds down and cook each side 2 minutes. You should be able to fit 4 mounds in a 12" skillet.

Serve and top with tomato based salsa. Yield was 12 cakes/fritters. Still mulling whether remainder (about half the mixture) can be frozen; will let you know what I decide.

The man pronounced them "tasty" which is about as high a critique I can get from him after his many years in Long Island:B. He also longs for Howard Johnson's style meatloaf every August but I digress.