cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Breaking in long-shelved NEW cell phone batteries

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying out a new (to me) LG VX8360 flip phone for use as voice only on a new Page Plus Cellular prepaid acct.

The battery in the phone has sat idle for about 2 years, and it is working OK, but really needs to recharge daily.

Normally $30 for the replacement LGIP-520B, Amazon had new ones for $5, so I ordered 2 .

Questions:

1) have these new OEM batts suffered terribly by never being used for who knows how long?
2) How should I try to break in one of these new batts?
3) Should I leave one alone for the future, or break it in like in Q2?
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy
6 REPLIES 6

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
burlmart wrote:
Just came in padded small envelope from Tarzana, CA from Vaiolabs.

Sure look (and receipt says) OEM. Receipt also says charge for at least 8 hrs (batt was discharged, as it would not power up when I put it in.

They also give a phone # and ask for feedback and/or any questions, so we'll see.

It's been a week since I put a 12 hr charge in one of the new batts, and with about 100 min talk time and 7 days standby, still have 2 of 4 bars showing on batt meter.

So far, so good.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Just came in padded small envelope from Tarzana, CA from Vaiolabs.

Sure look (and receipt says) OEM. Receipt also says charge for at least 8 hrs (batt was discharged, as it would not power up when I put it in.

They also give a phone # and ask for feedback and/or any questions, so we'll see.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
I'll know a bit more in a few days when they come in. $5 ea. Part of what led me to tyr these was when a local store answered my question of a new batt sitting so long (anbd for $30), he just said "I don't know." I figured $10 is a cheap experiment for a really nice phone.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
At $5 for two new batteries I doubt they are factory batteries.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Modern Lithium batteries do not need to be conditioned, they do not suffer from memory defects.
"According to Battery University, the depth-of-discharge on a Li-ion device will determine its ultimate cycle count. What this means in practice is that you should recharge your battery frequently and let it drain as little as possible in between recharges. Partial discharges are better."
A battery that was stored dead for 2 years may not last long.

Explorer
Explorer
Fully harge it before use and then let it run down to just about empty before charging again. Do this a few times at first. As to the second battery. You could alternate between them - one one for a week and then use the other for the next week. In the end you will get the same use our of the two as waiting for the first to die out - but it should be a long time before that happens. So if you have two - use them both.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road