cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgater signal levels

6string
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to dish tailgater. Does anyone know what are good signal levels to expect on the three satellites?
5 REPLIES 5

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
6string wrote:
I'm new to dish tailgater. Does anyone know what are good signal levels to expect on the three satellites?

We love out TailGater, as it is like the old Ronco ads, Set it and forget it!!

Yes, I also us an app to see if we have clear view to the southern sky and the satellites, but after that it is all the Tailgater.
I usually place on the 5er roof so out of the way and safer. The first time we did this it was by a kitchen vent that was slightly open, we could here the dish realign for best signal when we changed channels!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Since there is no adjustment you can do with the Tailgater to improve the signal strength, just make sure that it has a clear line of sight to the satellites. And you can use a phone app to find that line of sight. Even sparse tree limbs can reduce or even block signal.
Many problems with signal strength are caused by poor internal coax cabling or coax cable connectors in the RV. If you are consistently having problems, those may need to be checked. Also buying a good quality quad shielded external coax cable to connect the Tailgater to your RV coax connector may help.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Rain and dust or snow quickly degrade the signal because the dish is much smaller than a normal house size dish. (Don't ask me how I know this) I finally waxed ours to repel some rain and snow. It helped a lot.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
THe rule is "If it works" Generally anything over half a signal bar on the receiver. But it varies from receiver to receiver. 60% is generally solid 50 may have issues.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I never worry about signal levels. I use an app for setting the tailgater so it is clearly lined up due south.

If it goes through the scan ok then thats all that is needed.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992