cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Verizon Unlimited Data

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Folks! I am told that Verizon just released an Unlimited Data plan option, but you have to call and ask for it.

I'm calling into them now, but if this is true, it could save us a ton of dough.

If you are on Verizon, you may want to give them a shout.

All the best!
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)
57 REPLIES 57

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
My Sleek doesn't really show any significant gain. I sent it back to the factory a couple of years ago and they reported that it was fine.
I've tried the trucker, the Wilson Yagi and my homemade Yagi on a 25' mast but still not satisfied that any of them make a real difference.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using a Sleek with the Home and Office kit for 4 years now (Full Timing) on the Verizon system. It has consistently gained 2-3 bars everywhere I've gone, either using my Jetpack or now wth my phone. Right now I can set my phone in the Sleek and watch it go from 2 bars to 4. When I remove it, it drops back down to 2 bars within a few seconds. I am definitely a believer in the thing.

*** Need to add I am using a smartphone in the Sleek - an IPhone 5.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
mikestock wrote:
I still don't get enough speed to consistently view streaming video.
I can stream very well with almost any 4G connection.

I usually have no trouble in the rv but I live in a hilly area and the nearest Verizon tower is not line of sight from me and it usually stays very busy. Most times 7 AM to 10 PM I am doing well to get download speeds above 3 mb/sec. However my upload speeds are surprisingly high, 5mb/sec or more.

Last week, in the rv, I encountered 50+ mb/sec download speeds. Never seen anything like it, using my Samsung S5 as a hotspot.

Dedicating a phone to be used, exclusively, as a hotspot is new to me. Just trying it experimentally for a few months. I wish I had confidence that the Wilson Sleek is working as a pickup for the smart phone. I liked it better when phones had antenna ports that you could work with. I built a 800 MHz Yagi that worked great with my old flip phone to communicate where there was, otherwise, no signal.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
I still don't get enough speed to consistently view streaming video.
I can stream very well with almost any 4G connection.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I guess it depends on the sales person but I was told that nothing changed until I got to 20 gB on a single device and then I could be throttled, if in a busy area. Also was told that it didn't matter if I was using the phone as a hotspot, which was my stated plan. I guess we'll see how it goes. The good thing is that the extra phone is on no contract, so if it doesn't work out I'll change.

I was also told that if one phone runs over it has no affect on the other two. As I said, "we'll see".

As for 2.4 or 5 MHz, I have no iea nor did i know I could control that. I laid each device on the corner of my bed and activated one after the other, checking speed on my laptop with speedtest.net.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
As mentioned in my previous post (above), I tried a Jetpack and ran tests for 45 minutes, switching bac and forth between using my S7 as a modem and using the Jetpack. I placed them, one after the other, in the same exact spot and tested the speed , as a modem. I switched back and forth 7 timed and found the Jetpack download speed varied between 1.7 and 2.9 Mb/sec. The phone download varied from 4.7 to 6.2 Mb/sec. If you're considering a Jetpack, run your own comparison first. Maybe you'll get better results with an older smartphone.

As a result, I returned the Jetpack (with a $35 return fee) and turned on my old S5 to use, exclusively as a hotspot. I mounted the S5 in a Wilson Sleek with a Wilson yagi antenna on my rooftop. I still don't get enough speed to consistently view streaming video.

I also just switched to the new Verizon Unlimited plan and am using my IPhone 5 as a hotspot in a Sleek. Only been with the new plan for about 2 weeks now.

I hope you noticed that when used as a hotspot, you get 10 gigs of 4G (LTE) but after that the speed will drop to 3G, although with unlimited data. Phone or Jetpack - does not matter.

As has been stated, Verizon's new plan is for unlimited DATA, but not unlimited 4G data. Still a good deal IMHO.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
As mentioned in my previous post (above), I tried a Jetpack and ran tests for 45 minutes, switching bac and forth between using my S7 as a modem and using the Jetpack. I placed them, one after the other, in the same exact spot and tested the speed , as a modem. I switched back and forth 7 timed and found the Jetpack download speed varied between 1.7 and 2.9 Mb/sec. The phone download varied from 4.7 to 6.2 Mb/sec. If you're considering a Jetpack, run your own comparison first. Maybe you'll get better results with an older smartphone.

As a result, I returned the Jetpack (with a $35 return fee) and turned on my old S5 to use, exclusively as a hotspot. I mounted the S5 in a Wilson Sleek with a Wilson yagi antenna on my rooftop. I still don't get enough speed to consistently view streaming video.

What were you accessing the Jetpack and the S7 from? Were each of the hotspot devices set to 2.4GHz or 5GHz? This can make a HUGE difference.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I have switched, but have no experience yet running up against the limit. I asked more than one agent what happens when i pass 22gb of data. They tell me that I can be throttled back during busy times and in busy markets. Other that under those conditions I will not be throttled.

They also tell me that each phone has its own limit, meaning that if one reaches the 22 gb the other phones on the account will not be affected.

As I said, I have yet to experience even the first month on the system. I have three lines with one dedicated to use as a full time hotspot. I replaced a Jetpack with an old Samsung S5 because the S5 outperformed the Jetpack in speed and reception.

I had originally planned to get rid of my home IP and use this third phone in its place but the speed varies too much at my home, even with an external antenna. May have to ditch the third phone idea, altogether.

MrWizard
PDAnet usb tether , and the hide my data option

it looks like the phone is using the data

it all depends on how sophisticated vzw or any other carrier whats to get on seeing what your doing

if they single you out for investigation, they will figure out what browser you are using and laptop etc.. versus , but if you don't attraction their attention using 100 gigs a month, should not be a problem
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bull Rider wrote:
Lots of good information on this thread. I didn't see any discussion regarding PDANET.

If one was to use PDAnet to tether, would this data be considered "hotspot" data, or would it be phone data?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure, but we use it on wifes Galaxy S5 as a hotspot and have used 44GB in 20 days. No slowing yet.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

Rovin__Bones
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
... how much is 10gb from Walmart?

I use Walmart Family Mobile. Samsung On5 phone, 10gb plan. Unlimited talk and text. Throttled speed after you burn through your 10g of 4g is at 128kb. My monthly cost is $54 and change. It works for me for now, but isn't going to be viable while I am in Yellowstone all summer.
1983 24' Midas Freeport. Chevy 350 mated to a TH400 transmission on a GM G30 chassis and a spiffy Onan 4kw genset.

!*NEW Blog page*!
Rovin' Bones

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
jcpainter wrote:
You can add 2 tablets or hotspots to the single line plan for a $20/mo line access fee.

I believe that is $20 EACH.

That is absolutely correct. I meant to say "per line".

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
You can add 2 tablets or hotspots to the single line plan for a $20/mo line access fee.

I believe that is $20 EACH.