cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 and Streets and Trips

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Had S&T installed on old laptop with Windows Vista. Have new laptop with Windows 10. When I try to install S&T a box appears asking if I want this program to make changes to my computer, yes or no. No is highlighted. Yes is in regular type. What happens if I respond "Yes"? I'm wondering if S&T can be installed on different computers using the same cd. I'm over my head with this stuff.
Thanks for your comments.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS
28 REPLIES 28

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Eariler I mentioned a special "Driver" (intercept program actually) to fix what Microsoft did to the GPS sensor if you use it.....

http://www.turboirc.com/gps7
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
ken burke wrote:
Well, I do not agree w other posts that says you can still use micossoft S&T. You can't. Microsoft stopped supporting S@Ts 3 or 4 years ago. They let the license expire. I have not been able to use it for a year or so.
It is really a shame. I had a ton of info on my S@T that I lost. Good campgrounds, good roads, great restrauents. I lost a lot of history.
ken

I had a copy of S&T 2013 laying around. I just installed and activated it on my laptop running the latest Windows 10 update thru the license server. No problems. Works fine.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I still use S&T but I had to re-install it from CD when I went to eithe 10 or 10A

Also they "Broke" the USB GPS dongle.. (Well the driver for it) However there is a 12.00 solution (Actually less) you can get that more or less fixes it

S&T looks for a GPS on a COM port. so the dongle appears to older versions as a COM port device.. However Microsoft now recognizes it as a "Sensor" S&T can not read the sensor. But a 3rd party makes a product that will turn that sensor into not one but TWO com ports. S&T can use one and another program the other.

Some issues but I can assist.. I've had it not work once.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
My S&T also runs fine but each year it gets more and more out of date. It's still ok for planning but getting more and more useless for navigation. We now use an old Garmin (I think) GPS and it works fine for navigation.

It's too bad that Microsoft decided to abandon S&T.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
ken burke wrote:
Well, I do not agree w other posts that says you can still use micossoft S&T. You can't. Microsoft stopped supporting S@Ts 3 or 4 years ago. They let the license expire. I have not been able to use it for a year or so.
It is really a shame. I had a ton of info on my S@T that I lost. Good campgrounds, good roads, great restrauents. I lost a lot of history.
ken

Something wrong with your setup then.
My S&T is 4 years old and running well.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
UPDATE time... First. I see where someon said "The antique GPS receiver it shipped with is junk. Instead using a native USB gps, they glued a really old serial port receiver onto a USB to serial adapter." That would have saved me 12 bucks.

2013 shipped with a USB dongle, Now for years (Since I got the program) it showed up as COM:4 and worked great but about half an hour out of "I don't need GPS any more" the driver updated and suddenly it is a "Sensor" and not a com port any more.. As F.F. Might say Rozin,Fozin,Friggin, Fraggit. (You get age points if you know who F.F. is)

Found the 9.99 Euro solution today.

http://turboirc.com/gps7/

You need the "Reverse" driver file.. You download the full set but the installer lets you pick and choose and you can license just the REVERSE for 9.99 Euros, currently a bit under 12 bucks US.

Got it working and S&T still was not happy

Turns out the GPS dongle was in a bad place. moved it and HAPPY.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
J herb wrote:
YC 1 wrote:
I decided to give my gps puck a go on my new computer and it locks the computer up. Long story short, it now does not work on any of my win 10 machines. Apparently the original mfgr of the chip had a lot of fakes out there and did something to the drivers rendering them inop in win 10 etc. Long story short, I gave up after hours of research and experimenting. I will be ordering a new gps puck.

YC, when you get your new gps puck give us a report.

My Microsoft gps puck works great with my HP laptop with windows 8.1 but won't work with windows 10 on my ACER netbook and I tried everything that everyone said to do.

GPS
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
YC 1 wrote:
I decided to give my gps puck a go on my new computer and it locks the computer up. Long story short, it now does not work on any of my win 10 machines. Apparently the original mfgr of the chip had a lot of fakes out there and did something to the drivers rendering them inop in win 10 etc. Long story short, I gave up after hours of research and experimenting. I will be ordering a new gps puck.

YC, when you get your new gps puck give us a report.

My Microsoft gps puck works great with my HP laptop with windows 8.1 but won't work with windows 10 on my ACER netbook and I tried everything that everyone said to do.
J herb

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
H/R Endeavor 2008
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimedaniel wrote:
Just a general note about Windows 10.

The best practice is to be sure you download the newest updated version of any program or app to put on Win10. This is where some folks have had problems with 10.

I would update this program asap.

Numerous programs do not have any updates such is the case with S&T. Microsoft has never been big on backwards compatibility.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the good info and I will check them out.
Will do the newest updates to windows 10 and reinstall S&T and I will turn off the firewall and anti virus while I do the install, I will look into an antenna too if needed.
J herb

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
If you cannot get it to run, turn off your protection and firewall for the time you need to load it.

If you still have problems. Click the word Compatability in the lower left part of your start screen. Learn how to run S&T install in that mode.
H/R Endeavor 2008

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Just a general note about Windows 10.

The best practice is to be sure you download the newest updated version of any program or app to put on Win10. This is where some folks have had problems with 10.

I would update this program asap.