cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full-term travelling with an older RV

cmsteele
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are in the very early talks of planning a long-term (1-2 years) trip with our two young children and pets. I have a dream of buying an older trailer or motorhome, gutting, and totally renovating it. I'm wondering how good of an idea this is for long-term travel... Can it be done? Are there specific things we should look for/avoid in buying an older RV? Or are we just better off buying a newer one? Thanks for any advice!
15 REPLIES 15

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd stay away from any sort of conversion for obvious reasons. Like you really don't know what was done or how well it was done.
Also as mentioned there are a bazillion used rvs for sale. If your budget only really allows for the oldest of models then the cost of rehab may be prohibitive as well.

Example, my camper is 14 years old, everything works, in great shape and it was less than 1/3 cost of new.
Recommend finding one that is in tact
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
One poster mentioned a school bus conversion. You will find a significant number of RV parks will not let conversion busses in. Many insist the RVIA sticker be on the camper. Also, while most places do not strictly enforce it, most have an age requirement that's only applied if something really disreputable shows up at their gate.

snowcrustracer
Explorer
Explorer
Less Junk, More Journey

These folks have a wonderful YouTube blog all about what you are thinking of doing.
They just finished downsizing from a Class A to a Airstream trailer that they remodeled.

In my experience finding a nice used trailer is difficult. Most are for sale for a reason..water damage or other expensive problems that the owners are running from. And Junk is Junk no mater how much $$$ you throw at it.

These Airstreams seem to be a class of there own...If you can find a nice used one in good shape I would grab it and make it your own.

Just my 2 cents.
2000 Toyota Tundra & 2007 FWC Eagle (SOLD)
2016 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW & 2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EXRR

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
NOT all older RV's are total fixer uppers.

There are a plethora of older RV's out there that were owned by decent, clean, owners who knew how to maintain an RV! Trust me you will find a nice used RV within your budget. You don't have to be tied to buying a fixer upper. Just keep looking.

When I decided to go full time I slapped down a huge down payment on a new A. Got home and thought....what if I really don't like full timing?

RAN back to that dealership and cancelled the order and got my down payment money back.

I found an older MH that was taken care of VERY well and looked great! Paid cash for it and hit the road.

I thought if I don't like Full-timing I could sell the MH for what I paid for it and not have to worry about being upside down on the purchase of a new one and ending up in debt just because I didn't like full timing.

The hit you take on a new one just driving it off the lot leaves you owing more than what you can sell it for if you decide full timing is not for you and/Or even if you decide you want a different RV.

I found the full-time RV life suited me just fine. Only thing is that ole used first MH treated me so well I couldn't come up with one good reason to sell her and buy a brand spanking new one.
The Queen Mary and I put on thousands of miles of wonderful RV'ing together. :C

Moral of the story IMHO, JMHO you do NOT HAVE TO buy a brand new MH to full time. Unless you feel the need to dress to impress 'others'. :W

To the OP: Check out this classified site.
It is from one of the largest full time RV clubs. Great deals on all things RV'ing, all owned by very well seasoned RV's who know how to take care of an older RV so it does NOT become a fixer upper!

You don't have to join their club to view their classified section. Here's how to do it without joining their club.

1. Go here:
http://www.rvnetwork.com/

2. Upper right hand corner click: create an account

3. After you joined go to "Forums".

4. Scroll all the way down the page near the bottom to:
RV MARKET PLACE. Search for what you are looking for.

Good Luck!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Think twice. Then think again. As mentioned, water damage is the kiss of death for these older units. If you think there's a little, there's a lot. As soon as you rip something out, you can expect to expose additional problems you didn't even know you could have. With an older motor home, you get all that and the additional expense of an old drivetrain, fuel system, tires, engine transmission, brake system, suspension, etc. RV A/C units and other mechanical parts of the coach are expensive to replace.

I would hesitate to do this at all, and I have the skills to do that kind of stuff. I believe you'd be further ahead to buy something newer.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the general opinion will be to at a minimum double your estimate of the cost to refit, take the money & buy something much younger or at the very least something older that has been well maintained.

Refitting an old unit leaves you with an old unit that you have put lots of money & your time into. That might be fine if you have the knowledge, the time & the tools to do the job & you plan to be into the unit for the long haul.

When it comes time to sell it will always be whatever year it is to potential buyers. Your time & effort will not be worth much to them.

Go find something formally owned by a pilot or a cruising boater. They generally take care of maintenance.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
OP, please clarify what you mean by RV. All types of recreational vehicles are RVs,
each with its different set of troubles or attributes.
A MH is an RV, even so they have at least 3 'classes'. So is a TC, a converted schoolie, aTT. Anything self contained you could live in is an RV.
Please let us know what type you are considering so that we can help you with issues inherent to that type of unit.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
CM,

Just a little nomenclature here. If you are going to live in it and not have a "Sticks and Bricks" (S&B) home, you will be FullTimers and you will not be alone. There are more than a few.

First, you need to decide what you really want to do. In very simple terms (having had both and a lot in between), Motorhomes are for traveling and trailers are for staying.

As to age, do not buy anything that has any signs of interior water leakage (except at the windows of an all metal or fiberglass coach). Water leakage of almost any amount can rot the wood frame that forms the structure of the shell. Repair is rarely practical.

Motorhomes are a special case. You have to know what chassis it was built on and how available support and parts for same are. There are few out there that were made by companies that abandon the business and they want nothing to do with any of it. This can also be a big non-issue if a support network has formed to replace them.

Do not buy something with intent to gut and renovate it unless you both posses the skills and patience to do so. I could tell you where to find three locally that are part way though renovation and have been for a number (like 5) years. You could buy any of them real cheap, but it may not be worth dragging it home.

What ever you get, the tires will probably be shot - over aged. That and all the other rubber and much of the plastic as well.

Please investigate this at great depth before you jump in.

¿Does this Guy Know what he is talking about?

Look at the picture in the sig... This is not our first coach. It is not the oldest RV we have had. It is 44 years old and it has had its share of troubles. But, it has no structural wood and the community affords amazing support. It would be very difficult otherwise.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Gutting it and renovating the inside is fine if you have the time and skill and money. However, it's the mechanical part where you have to look for a good one.... don't plan on gutting it.

Agreed....buy a used one in good condition and you'll save money and headache. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
why gut it? are you planning on buying a piece of junk? why not get something that needs just a little TLC?
bumpy

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
How are your mechanical skills? Do you have access to a fully equipped wood working shop?

Unless you can DIY it would be cost prohibitive.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
By the time you invest your time, effort, and money on an older RV, you may be better off just getting a new one and save yourself the time it will take to rebuild one and spend that time with your family. Besides, the rebuild could cost as much as newer one.

Besides, when are you planning on this trip? If you plan 2 months to rebuild an older camper, you better re-think that. I promise you, your 2 month estimate will become 2 years of actual rebuild... if you have somewhere to get the camper under roof so you can do the work.

X-2

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
By the time you invest your time, effort, and money on an older RV, you may be better off just getting a new one and save yourself the time it will take to rebuild one and spend that time with your family. Besides, the rebuild could cost as much as newer one.

Besides, when are you planning on this trip? If you plan 2 months to rebuild an older camper, you better re-think that. I promise you, your 2 month estimate will become 2 years of actual rebuild... if you have somewhere to get the camper under roof so you can do the work.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
What are your parameters for "older" vs. "newer"? Are you thinking you'll be actually travelling a lot of the time on this trip, or will you more likely spend a week or two in one place and then move someplace else for a spell? (If it's traveling frequently, a motorhome has some distinct advantages--you have a lot more space and ready access to conveniences while on the road. If you're parked at a camp site most of the time, those advantages are much less important.)

I think the most practical might be to by a (somewhat) older, good quality motorhome or trailer that does not need gutting and refurbishment and using that. At least to me, rennovation implies that the unit is in bad shape to begin with, which for RVs very often implies a good bit of water damage and a whole lot of work to bring it into decent shape. (If you merely mean redecorating, that's a little different matter altogether...but still start with a unit in good shape.)

If you want to do a lot of customization or have neat ideas for a layout or something like that, it might be better to make a schoolie (school bus conversion) or similar. That's a lot of work, but you're at least starting with a solid vehicle structure.

In either case, you're probably going to need at least several months of construction before setting out.

Before doing much of anything, I would strongly suggest renting an RV for a week and seeing how RV travel works out for you in practice. It will also give you a better idea of some things to look for or avoid in units you're considering.