cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LP Tank Gauge?

ricks99
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have recommendations for an LP Tank Gauge? A quick search on Amazon shows LOTS of choices, from $10 -- $100. If you have experience with which work best (or worst), I'd love to hear it.

-R
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 (aka Rusty)
2017 Kodiak 172e Hybrid (aka Roxy)
23 REPLIES 23

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
You know what happens when you use the auto change over feature don't you.
Yes the indicator displays RED as soon as the primary tank is ready for refill.

No matter what indicator you use... if the indicator is ignored then you run out of propane.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
I have 20# LP tanks with built in float gauges that I bought at ACE Hardware. They seem pretty accurate. Were only about $5 - $10 more than the ones without the gauges if I recall correctly.

that's what I have on my 20# tanks for the BBQ etc. unfortunetly while this gauge is readily available on 20# tanks, 30# tanks with this gauge are hard to come by and expensive.

For the TT I have an old Marshall switchover valve that has an accy clip on top to the valve that will flash a light in the trailer when the valve switches. That way I know one tank is empty and I don't have to worry about a tank going empty in the middle of a cold night.

I've ordered the new system with the remote senders that attach to the bottom of the tank and a bluetooth reciever for the trailer. Haven't arrived yet so don't know how well it works.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I have 20# LP tanks with built in float gauges that I bought at ACE Hardware. They seem pretty accurate. Were only about $5 - $10 more than the ones without the gauges if I recall correctly.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:

Who is "you"? :h

Can't be me - I run my tanks sequentially. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We do it the old fashioned way. When the flame on the stove turns yellow we know the tank is getting low. When the stove won't light we know that we need to change tanks & get the empty refilled. The fridge also displays a low propane message.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Well what the heck - this discussion got me to thinking maybe I should see if I could install a "viewing port" on my propane tank cover that would allow me to see the auto changeover regulator's gauge without having to remove the cover. Easy enough to do, only took a few minutes. :B

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I am very satisfied with my suitcase weigh scale. Have one similar to the grill gauge from a dollar store and a little digital one. My regulator automatic switch to other bottle feature doesn't work so I get a firm reminder when one 20 pounder is empty. My bottles are in a compartment and easy to remove for weighing.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
ricks99 wrote:
While weighing the tanks is obviously best, I don't think it is really practical.

It sounds like none of the gauges really work (pretty much what I expected). Sounds like the water/condensation method is the easiest.

(Oh, and I have standard 20# tanks on my HTT.)

Thanks!

-R

The Grill Gauge is made for 20# tanks. It is why my external tanks for my MH are 20# tanks. I use a Grill Gauge to weigh the tanks.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

cubbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have the one that uses a smart phone app. it is called LPG tank have it installed but have not used yet. both tanks are full it says 100%

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
jarata1 wrote:
Isn't there a new one that works by an attachment to the tank,and an app on your smart phone

http://shop.tankutility.com/products/tank-level-monitor

wifi monitor $189

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well any gauge installed would need easy access to be seen.

My regulator tends to switch over at 2am when I like to sleep. I don't have any issues with using the manual method if that works for you. Does not work well for me. BTDT
If I was that concerned I would bring along a 3rd or 4th bottle to swap in.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ricks99 wrote:
Oh, and I have standard 20# tanks on my HTT.

time2roll wrote:
If you have a working automatic changeover regulator... that is the gauge and will indicate when the primary tank is ready for refill. There is no reason that you would run out. Except maybe if you do not check the regulator... in which case no gauge would help.

I guess one might argue that most tanks these days are enclosed with a hard plastic tank cover, making it impossible to see the gauge on the regulator. One could solve this by cutting a hole in the tank cover and gluing a piece of clear plastic over that hole so the guage would be visible. I haven't bothered myself, I guess because I don't really care when one tank runs dry as I always have another full one right beside it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't there a new one that works by an attachment to the tank,and an app on your smart phone