cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newb ? truck camper theft

lucasland
Explorer
Explorer
If you leave a truck camper at a campground, what security measures does it have to prevent someone else from backing up to your camper and taking it?
"Tell all your friends about me, especially the pretty ones" - Ed
17 REPLIES 17

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
It is inadvisable to make "general assumptions" about vehicle or camper registration and/or titling.
It has been said that there are 50 states and 51 different sets of laws regarding titling and registration.
Yes, IIRC, there are states where a TC must be titled and registered independent of the truck it is on. In fact, I believe Montana was one such state many years ago. they changed the rules, and it isn't now.
Maybe every state DOES now consider TCs to be cargo. I don't know.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
In some campgrounds it is against the rules to unload a TC and leave it. In the event of an emergency, there is no practical way to move it.
I wonder if theft is really a problem to be concerned about? I have never heard of a TC being stolen, even in states where they have no title or registration (like Montana).

In what states would you need to have registration for a truck camper? Wouldn't it just be considered cargo, and covered by the truck registration? (That would be my general assumption, but I may be wrong.)

I'd think that it would be far more likely to have a truck stolen, with or without a camper, than a truck camper without a truck. Trucks have wheels and can be rolled from place to place. A truck camper is about as hard to make off with as a shed.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
In some campgrounds it is against the rules to unload a TC and leave it. In the event of an emergency, there is no practical way to move it.
I wonder if theft is really a problem to be concerned about? I have never heard of a TC being stolen, even in states where they have no title or registration (like Montana).
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Own one like mine. Nobody wants it. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have power jacks you could lower your TC so a PU couldn't get under it then disconnect your battery and lock the battery compartment or take the battery out.

If some really wants it they're gonna get it but if you make it difficult you might deter them.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know, I think it would be easier to simply steal a travel trailer than a truck camper. You can simply back up to a trailer hitch, lower it onto your ball, unhook water/electric and drive off. I wouldn't know how to mess with a truck camper, because I've never used any rig like that. A travel trailer is no different than any other trailer (in terms of hooking it up). If you are stealing it, you probably don't really concern yourself with checking tire pressure or using a WDH...

Seems that leaving slides out and awning open would make your RV less ideal to steal.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Lojack hooked to a mortar? :E

Just kidding (kids do not try this at home)

MKish
Explorer
Explorer
A TC theft would have to be really really premeditated.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of a Truck Camper (or a TT, or a 5er, or a PUP) being stolen while AT a campground while the owner was camping there, but just happen to be gone.

I have heard and read many stories about RV's being broken into AT storage lots, and some even stolen from storage lots. But, in a campground, I don't think I've EVER heard of one being stolen there.

Sometimes they catch fire in campgrounds, but that's a different issue altogether!

Enjoy camping! Remember, with a truck camper, it has to actually fit in the bed of the truck and then be anchored down so it won't slide out when the culprit pulls out at the speed of light trying to get away with the theft. So, the likelihood, especially of truck camper theft, in my opinion, is about .00005 percent!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
VERY unlikely a thief would be ready to load TC on a truck. Next up would be fifth wheels...unusual to have that hitch mounted in a truck. We TT people are far more likely targets. Lots of folks have a bumper hitch. I have insurance and will not worry.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy a set of Torklift Wobble Stoppers with a set of the Fastgun locks, and use those when the TC is off the rig. That will stop almost all but the absolutely most determined theft attempts.

TCs are hard to steal. They require a beefy truck (no half-tons), take some effort to raise and lower with jacks, and it takes about 10-30 minutes to load it.

I'd get insurance on the TC, a set of Wobble Stoppers, and not worry about it.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
None except for the ridiculously low likelihood of that happening.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd say a tc is probably the hardest RV to steal. Because it takes the longest to hook n go. Plus a person would have to be "prepared" to steal a big TC. Have a larger truck, not a dually unless only scouting dually jack campers, etc. take forever to jack up if they didn't have the electronic remote....
Don't worry about it.
If I was going to steal a portable meth lab, I'd take one of the million TTs that could be hooked and pulled in less than 1 minute and not waste my time with a TC.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a regular Truck Camper from MD that shows up at the Westmoreland State park and he puts his Truck camper on the ground and uses his truck to drive around the area for things while he camps there... We apparently have the same favorite camping spot there haha...

It is lowered to the ground with the side jacks... They go in and out of the camper shell sitting on the ground just fine during the week stay...

Probably would not be too hard to drive away with that setup if you could still jack up it to back in under it......

I certainly would notice that on-going and call the authorities...

Most everywhere we go the neighbor campers are just like family and everyone watches out for each other... Usually the ones we never get friendly with are the ones that have a bad boy dog tied up outside... However glad the dog is there and it does bark at strangers and maybe bears walking around late at night...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS