cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving Money Tips

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I would be interesting in hearing other's money saving tips?

Some of mine:
  • Wood Scavenging - We often stay through Mondays at campground and use wood left by other campers
  • Ice Machine - Bought 1 1/2 years ago for a Yellowstone trip and continues to pay for itself easily
  • Starting Fires - I save our old cooking oil, pour oil on wood and a little newspaper and fire starts pretty easy

Thanks,

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
16 REPLIES 16

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Don't pay with cash or a debit card. Get a credit card that gives back cash rewards on all purchases and use that instead. Strange, but it actually costs me money if I want use my debit card or pay with cash. I full time and charge EVERYTHING.

Getting back 1-5 percent may not seem likie a big deal on even a small purchase (McDoalds) but it's a whole different story when you see how much you got back at the end of the year.

But don't forget to pay off the CC at the end of every month !

I also visit Costco or Sams and buy bulk chops and ribs. Take them home and get out the Foodsaver machine. I seal 2 chops in a bag and freeze them. There are usually 3 racks of ribs in a package and cut each rack in half and use the Foodsaver on them too. They can keep (frozen) for months, if necessary, until it's time for the pellet grill to make an appearance.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're really big on the Seal-A-Meal/FoodSaver systems. Cook some of your favorite meals at home, seal & freeze. Our biggies are smoked baby back ribs, BBQ brats, and extra thick smoked/brined pork chops. Even the sides if you wish. Take from the freezer, pop into the microwave. The pouch blows up like a balloon and the food comes out excellent, steamed to perfection with that original, just smoked flavor.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on town and county campsites.
We camp in free spots fairly often, too. We drive less and stop more to enjoy wherever we are.
I spent time reading this forum to understand our RV and gain the confidence to do most of the maintenance. 8 years on our former rental MH now and it has only been in garages for new tires. RV stores for parts and caulking but never the shop.
The solar panel means no need for campground electricity.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
All of the above apply. The biggest is use your RVs kitchen. Avoid restaurants
and prepare your meals as at home. You can buy a weeks groceries for what one meal out costs.

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
If you are 62 or older, get a Senior Pass at any federal facility. It gets you 1/2 off a basic campsite, plus free admission at federal sites.

We have 8 months to go to get our pass, but who is counting.

One thing we do is to keep a budget. We have a program we have been using since we go married almost 20 years ago. Definitely helps to see where the money is going.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
As you are reading the forum, some are putting this and that on their rigs. Don't get caught up in needing every little thing for your rig too.

Like Passport America; there are other membership campgrounds. Sometimes, depending on your location they can be a great deal. We have RPI and used it so much it paid for itself in the first year.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
While on the road we stop at point of interest, rest stop, gas station, etc. to eat lunch with food in the trailer. The first thing we look at in a trailer if you can access the fridge & bathroom. We also freeze leftovers, for camping use.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Join Passport America for cheaper campground rates. We use this a lot when traveling and save the membership fee in just a couple of nights.

Browse the marked down bakery, meat, produce sections at the market with immediate use in mind. At places like Walmart with the hot chickens, look in the cooler around that area as many times at closing, all chickens not purchased are refrigerated and then offered for sale at a lower price.

We use Gas Buddy to find the cheapest gas prices. We have found that even though we are 36' pulling a trailer we can get into many/most regular stations to take advantage of the lower prices.

If you use a laundromat, don't go until you have full loads AND most campgrounds have laundry centers that are cheaper, take advantage of that when you find it.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Not specific to RVing but I'm a bulk cooker and it enters all aspects of my life no matter where I am.
When you see a food item on sale, buy it.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I once had a couple large recliner camping chairs that finally broke down. They were too big to dispose of at home, unless I broke out the cloth and cut up the metal to fit in my trash dumpster for the trash truck to haul away.

We continued carrying those 2 broken down camping chairs with us until one day I came up with a brain storm! Why not toss them in the campground dumpsters usualy located near the dump station? So next trip out, I did! That was the only time I got rid of a larger item like that. Normally, large items I take the time to break it down and let my trash truck haul it away, small pieces every week until it's gone. But this one time, I tossed them in the campground dumpster!

Edit: I take that back. Last December when in South Carolina, I purchased all new sewer hoses for the camper while on that trip. I tossed all the old ones in the campground dumpster too!

Ever see the Hitchcock film "Rear Window?" Gross, I know. But your post reminded me of it.

-Speak

Are you confusing "The Birds" with "Rear Window"? Or are we thinking about different scenes on film? :c

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Go to uscampgrounds.info and you can find almost all federal, state, county and city campgrounds. They are often cheap or even free.

If you are 62 or older, get a Senior Pass at any federal facility. It gets you 1/2 off a basic campsite, plus free admission at federal sites.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Know how much per mile it costs to pull your trailer/ 5er or drive your MH.

When choosing a campground or a gas station - know how much it is going to cost you to go 'off course' to get there and back. Sometimes that lower fuel price or cheaper campground really isn't.

Keep your shopping trips to Walmart or the grocery store down to one per week. It is real easy to get in the habit of going to the store every day, and that adds a lot of miles, fuel costs, to a trip total cost.

Work the various loyalty programs for cheaper fuel. We use Costco, Walmart card, grocery store loyalty card discounts, PFJ, etc. Some work better than others.

We buy restaurant gift cards at Kroger when they are on 'sale' with 4x fuel points. That way $100 of restaurant gift cards gets us $400 fuel points - 40 cents per gallon off a fullup.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stay out of restaurants. One of the main reasons for choosing the model we have is the very large galley. The DW is a foodie & likes having her oven, the 4 door fridge, lots of counter space & the washer dryer closet that is one monsterous pantry.

Stay out of any CG that has "resort" in its name. Also, don't opt for the FHU or pull through sites. In general stay away from the private CGs unless they are a PA or we need to do laundry.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I once had a couple large recliner camping chairs that finally broke down. They were too big to dispose of at home, unless I broke out the cloth and cut up the metal to fit in my trash dumpster for the trash truck to haul away.

We continued carrying those 2 broken down camping chairs with us until one day I came up with a brain storm! Why not toss them in the campground dumpsters usualy located near the dump station? So next trip out, I did! That was the only time I got rid of a larger item like that. Normally, large items I take the time to break it down and let my trash truck haul it away, small pieces every week until it's gone. But this one time, I tossed them in the campground dumpster!

Edit: I take that back. Last December when in South Carolina, I purchased all new sewer hoses for the camper while on that trip. I tossed all the old ones in the campground dumpster too!

Ever see the Hitchcock film "Rear Window?" Gross, I know. But your post reminded me of it.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB