Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire pressure

timpitt
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have 2021 fleetwood bounder 33c what is a good psi for the tires
when loaded We will be towing a Ford ranger.
16 REPLIES 16

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
4x4van wrote:
dave54 wrote:
4x4van wrote:
joelc wrote:
I use the pressure noted on the tire, not the pressure printed on the vehicle.
No, no, no...just no.:S

So if one tire on my dual axle trailer is flat, I should inflate the other tire on the same side to 160, right? The two of them average to 80, which is the recommended. I would be good to go without changing the flat!
๐Ÿ˜‰
Not really sure what your comment has to do with my comment, nor have I seen anyone saying to "average" tire pressures. However I will clarify that my "no, no, no..." comment refers to motorhomes (which is what the OP was asking about), not trailers.

A tire is not specific to any particular vehicle, and the tire manufacturer has no control over what vehicle it is installed on. The pressure on the sidewall applies to the max load the TIRE is capable of carrying, NOT the specific vehicle it is installed on, which is why load tables are published, and which is why ALL vehicles, including RVs, have a Federally mandated tire pressure label on/near the driver door. Simply inflating the tires to that max pressure on the sidewall will almost always result in a hard ride, uneven (centered) tread wear, and diminished handling/braking.

It was a joke.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:
4x4van wrote:
joelc wrote:

So if one tire on my dual axle trailer is flat, I should inflate the other tire on the same side to 160, right? The two of them average to 80, which is the recommended. I would be good to go without changing the flat!
๐Ÿ˜‰
Not really sure what your comment has to do with my comment, nor have I seen anyone saying to "average" tire pressures. However I will clarify that my "no, no, no..." comment refers to motorhomes (which is what the OP was asking about), not trailers.

A tire is not specific to any particular vehicle, and the tire manufacturer has no control over what vehicle it is installed on. The pressure on the sidewall applies to the max load the TIRE is capable of carrying, NOT the specific vehicle it is installed on, which is why load tables are published, and which is why ALL vehicles, including RVs, have a Federally mandated tire pressure label on/near the driver door. Simply inflating the tires to that max pressure on the sidewall will almost always result in a hard ride, uneven (centered) tread wear, and diminished handling/braking.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:
joelc wrote:

๐Ÿ˜‰
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog...

" check tire age on a 2021 unit to see if theyโ€™re over 5 years old."
You got me, my bad for not catching that the OP was talking about a 2021.

My old boss used to tell me:

"If you are going to read at all, read it all"

:S

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Let me count the funnyโ€™s in this thread and itโ€™s only on p2.
-Towing a mho with a ford ranger.
- check tire age on a 2021 unit to see if theyโ€™re over 5 years old. (And even more ridiculous is assuming heavy truck tires are aged out by then)
-use the tire pressure on the tire
- worry about individual corner weights. (This is the least silly of the Sillyโ€™s but unless there is a gross difference, itโ€™s a non issue. But Icbw here. Are mohos often loaded real lopsided?)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
timpitt wrote:
We have 2021 fleetwood bounder 33c what is a good psi for the tires
when loaded We will be towing a Ford ranger.

Have not a clue and anyone who does.. Except as described below. Do not listen to them.

How to get a clue.

First start with the manufacturer's recommended pressure if you can find it or anything close to (But below) the MAX pressure stamped on the tire... IE 100 PSI if the tires say Max 110.

Now find a scale.. You need a FLAT segmented scale

Loaded for travel Full fresh tank, empty waste tanks. Park so eachaxle is on a segment and get the axle weights. now pull around agains so JUST one side is on the scale and get the "That side" weight.

Now subtract the "Side" from the Axle to get the other side.

You should now have 4 weights Right and Left Front Right and left Rear.

Go to the tire maker's web site and find the weight chart for your tires.. I like to go 5 PSI over recommendation from the chart.

NOW Some folks say "All tires on an axle same pressure"

I DO NOT agree with that .. Each corner may be different.

And Duals the Inner and outer are the same.. NOTE however they have a DIFFERENT part of the maker's pressure chart.

Option to the above: go to https://rvsafety.com/

And to to the obvious link (Weighing your RV) at the top.
Small fee is worth it. They contact you (Have make, model and size of tires handy for when they call) and do all the "legwork" they come out with protable scales (Like the "diesel smokies have"and do a bunch of other stuff as well...Really nice folks.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once again, I am reminding people that those load/inflation pressure charts are MINIMUMS, NOT recommendations.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use the pressure noted on the tire, not the pressure printed on the vechile.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
"To really set it right you need to weight the RV fully loaded and get axle weights. Then, look up your tires on the manufacturer's load inflation table and inflate to the pressure for that weight. "

Yep, using the sticker and blindly inflating to the max on the sidewall is a very bad idea. Also, how old are the tires? Check the DOT codes and if they are 5 years old or more plan on replacing them soon.

Good luck.

:C

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Towing a Ranger, not towing with. A Bounder is a motorhome.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Until you get it weighed, go with the pressures listed on a placard in your RV, or use the axle weights on the placard and use the tire manufacturers charts.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
USAFBILL wrote:
Towing with a Ford Ranger might be an issue.

he could tow your 2500 with no issue
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Isnโ€™t the Bounder a motorhome, Bill?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad