cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck and 5th wheel or conversion van and TT

Mordred
Explorer
Explorer
After years of camping and back packing along with a growing family, 3 kids, we decided to move up to an RV trailer this season. I'm aware of the towing differences already between the travel trailer and a 5th wheel.

Our first thought is to get 2500 conversion van along with a jayco white hawk 28dsbh. This way there will be more room while traveling.

Other option is to upgrade my current half ton truck to a 1 ton and get a jayco eagle ht 29.5 bhds. My wife prefers the 5th wheel, which I admit seems better built.

I prefer having more space while traveling. 3 kids side by side all day makes the day longer. Any life experience or thoughts on the manner would be greatly appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
https://youtu.be/e8nQTWk1rFQ

This video is the most informative information I have found on the Internet.
He really breaks down the pro's and Con's of each Class Type... it helped me make my personal choice back in November. Anyone debating which option should really view this video first, and then decide what's right for you.... Goodluck and happy hunting..

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
The two best places I have found for used Quigleys is eBay and the "For Sale" section on Quigley's website http://www.quigley4x4.com/ . There is also a Facebook page called "4x4 Vans" or something like that which has lots of information .....
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

Mordred
Explorer
Explorer
Looked at vans today and with the Quigley I think I'm sold. I'll probably get a commuter car for most tasks though. It just seems like The ideal way we'd like to travel.

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Vans aren't too good in the snow - but neither are empty 2WD pickups. When we had 2 wheel drive vans, I would put about 250 lbs of sand bags behind the rear seat which helped a lot. The last two vans have had the Quigley 4WD modification, and while that pretty much solved the problem, now that I am retired, I prefer to take the van somewhere where I can park it under a palm tree in the winter.

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
We loved traveling in our conversion van towing a TT. Lots of room for kids and dogs. It was actually more stable from the wind when the TT was hooked up! That said, I HATED driving it in the snow!! It was a real dog... Something to consider if this will be a daily driver since you are in MN. We ultimately traded for a Suburban 2500. Kids are grown now, so we have a truck.
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

Mordred
Explorer
Explorer
Have not thought of Class A or C, the vehicle would also serve as my DD or weekend vehicle if I also got a small car.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought of a Class C or A and towing a car? You'd have plenty of room while traveling and no stopping for potty breaks or snacks.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mordred
Explorer
Explorer
I wish they kept making duramax vans.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Duramax van FTW!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
And as far as towing a TT, the van has a shorter axle to ball distance which is more stable for towing. As long as you don't get an extended length Ford. I think you will be buying used for a traditional conv van because they stopped making them and now offer the new style vans which I'm not familiar with, nor do I really like!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Mordred
Explorer
Explorer
We have kids 9, 6 and 4. 2 are going to be my size, 6'3"ish 200lbs plus in high school weight. All really good thoughts that we've been thinking. I really like the idea of extra room for guests. But the ability to double pull in the future might be nice too. If I did get the van, it would have the weight distributing hitch and anti sway. Thanks everyone for confirming my views.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Something else to keep in mind is if your kids ever want to bring a friend along camping. Unless you get a 4 door truck with a front bench seat, 6 in a truck will not be possible. The conversion van will offer more room for guests. Plus as the kids get older, having the extra room in the van will be useful for chauffeuring friends around. Will you need a 1 Ton truck for your family's day to day life?

You also need to take into consideration your camping plans. If you plan to camp long term, weeks or even months at a time, the Eagle will be a better choice. If you plan to do mostly weekend trips with an occasional week long trip, then the White Hawk will probably work well. The Eagle offers a little more living space, especially in the master bedroom. When camping long term with kids, that is really important. The master bedroom in the White Hawk is a little snug.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that many conversion vans have little payload capacity left over for tongue weight after the upfitter adds all those luxurious goodies, extra sound proofing, carpet, captain's chairs, etc. Most come with P rated tires and cushy suspensions too.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Since my kids were born 42 years ago, I have had series of conversion vans, which were great for hauling the kids, their friends, and all there stuff all over the place - would never have anything else. Now with just the wife, the dogs, and I, we pull with a Ford/Quigley E350 4x4 diesel regular passenger van, and it is a great tow vehicle - long wheelbase, good view of the road, lots of passenger and and cargo capacity, and best of all we can stow our surf fishing rods inside without taking them apart. Just make sure you have one set up for towing. Lots of the standard conversion vans are not equipped properly - you may have to order one if you are looking new.