cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater bypass question

Blatz
Explorer
Explorer
So I just noticed that my new Trailer's water heater is set in normal (not bypass) mode and I know it was winterized by the factory. Can I assume the water heater is full of antifreeze? I've herd it's not just wasteful, but also not good for the water heater. It's a Suburban heater btw
10 REPLIES 10

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps after the factory winterized the unit, the technician returned the WH control back to the normal use position. This errors on the safe side and could prevent the owner from filling the system with fresh water and forgetting to return a winterized and by passed WH back to the NORMAL operating position.

If this was done, it is possible that some line bleed of pink RV AF will flow into the WH.

As mentioned before, remove WH drain plug and remove any contamination. If possible rinse out with garden hose. Amazon has nozzle for this purpose.

Water Heater rinse tool

Lakeside

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:

I have been using the same antifreeze for years and only topped up one gallon last year after 4 years.

Why? It's only $3/gallon
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Solution to pollution is dilution

Flush entire system
Fresh water tank, pump, water heater and all hot/cold lines....faucets, toilet, showers (in/out), low point drains

Flush and rinse until no pink and no smells
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The antifreeze will not hurt anything. Just flush it real well. It can stain.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Use your low point drain, NOT the tank drain. If there is antifreeze catch it in a jug and reuse it each year. If the hot water heater is full you will need 6-10 gallon jugs to catch it all.

Same with the fresh tank. Just open the drain valve and catch the antifreeze if it comes out. Again you may need several gallon jugs depending on how full it is. Not very I will guess.

To winterize put 1 or 2 gallons more than the hot water heater holds in the fresh tank. Pump it through all the pipes hot and cold, to the faucets, toilet, shower, etc. Then drain the hot water tank and cold lines at the low point drains and then drain the fresh tank back into the jugs. Lastly blow out the lines. You can use the same 8-9 gallons for years since the only loss is some for the p-traps that comes out of the faucet and a cup or two that blowing out leaves in the water line.

I have been using the same antifreeze for years and only topped up one gallon last year after 4 years.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Blatz wrote:
Pink antifreeze came out when the toilet was flushed during the walk through

When they ran the water and you saw the "pink" coming from the toilet, was the camper hooked up to a garden hose or was the on-board pump, pumping from the fresh water tank? And how long did they run the water in the camper for you?

Reason I'm asking, it's possible they put "pink stuff" right in the fresh water tank. If they did, you'll need to flush the fresh water tank too. (which is no easy quick task).

If they just hooked up to a water hose, then the fresh water was just pushing the "pink" on through. But within a few seconds, the pink should have turned to clear water (maybe foamy, but clear), indicating the "pink" was pushed out.

Not knowing your situation, I'd open the water heater and see if anything drains. If it drains "pink", then you'll need to flush it. Start by checking the water heater. Second, open the drain on the fresh water tank and make sure it's drained also, and pink free. if it's not pink free, then you'll need to drain it, and fill it and drain it again, probably several times to get all the 'pink' out.

After being sure the fresh tank is clean and no pink. You can run fresh water, either through the garden hose, or fill the fresh water tank and pump it.

Once everything is no longer running "pink", then open the water heater by pass and let it fill with fresh water.

If you get foamy water from anywhere, there's still "pink" residue, and you just need to keep flush longer. It won't hurt to drink it, but it's just nice to have it all clean out.

Blatz
Explorer
Explorer
Pink antifreeze came out when the toilet was flushed during the walk through. I guess my main concern is it an issue with anything inside of the tank.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Was it winterized using antifreeze? Or by blowing out the lines using only pressurized air?

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You sure it's not empty? I would think IF the factory winterized the trailer it would not be in operational mode unless the tank were empty. Simply follow the procedures to drain the tank and find out.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
More likely is that it's full of air, along with the pipes. The easiest way to tell would be to remove the drain plug, assuming it's installed, and see whether antifreeze comes out or not.