cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which propane tank are these? Need to replace.

Flinx777
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 propane tanks in my 5th wheel that are past their expiration dates (they're older than 10 years) and I need to replace them (they're slowly leaking). I have been shopping on Amazon to find replacement tanks but not sure which models these tanks are and trying to find the same tanks on Amazon.

Here's some pics:

Thanks!
2000 Ford 350 DRW 7.3L Turbo Diesel, 4 speed automatic, 4.10 rear end, limited-slip differential. Banks Power & Brakes, B&W Hitch
2007 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 34pht
29 REPLIES 29

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
Just found out myself that the tanks are 10 year Certification since Jan 2017. That made both of mine outdated. The problem I ran into in Delaware is finding someone to do this. After checking with 4 LP companies it appears LP dealers in Delaware no longer do certification. So I purchased 2 new tanks on ebay for $112. I like the 20 lb tank idea though camping in cool weather doesn't work for me.

jpbuch9309
Explorer
Explorer
FYI run off one tank at a time we were told to open up both and we when through the gas in a month, one at a time we take about two and a half or three months. We live in it full time

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Take the tanks to the local propane gas dealer and have them do a pressure test and recertify, and replace the hoses, the regulator can also be checked by the propane dealer and you are good to go for another 10 years.

navegator

Flinx777
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
My local Coscto sells new 30lb tanks for $40. If you're a member or have a friend who is you could also go that route.

Oh, didn't think about that. I do have a membership there. Will check that out the next time I'm there. Thank you kindly!
2000 Ford 350 DRW 7.3L Turbo Diesel, 4 speed automatic, 4.10 rear end, limited-slip differential. Banks Power & Brakes, B&W Hitch
2007 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 34pht

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
My local Coscto sells new 30lb tanks for $40. If you're a member or have a friend who is you could also go that route.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Cobra21 wrote:
jjj wrote:
That is why I changed to the 20 lb. ones. When they close to date I swap them out at homedepot or where ever and never worry about having to buy new ones. I keep a extra full one locked in the bed of the truck for when one runs out and then get the empty filled or exchange it.

I also went to 20's on my travel trailer years back. 20's were much cheaper and easy to swap. I got a shorter threaded rod, and life was near perfect. My gas usage wasn't that high that I needed 30's.
Brian

you bring up a good point. The only difference is that you need to refill/swap just a little more often. We only fill our motorhome up once a year. It's a 40. Haven't filled it up this year yet and think it's around 2/3rds full. We don't normally use the heater either. We will normally use an electric heater, put the hot water heater on electric and the fridge is on electric unless we are traveling. We don't do a lot of dry camping.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
It's actually 12 years for a tank cert as far as I know...

Mitch

DOT Certification Requirement for portable propane cylinders WAS 12 yrs after date of mfg as stamped on collar

That requirement was modified as of Jan 23, 2017
12 yr certification was changed to 10 yrs

5 yr 'Visual Inspection' still 5 yr
7 yr 'Proof Pressure Testing' increased to 10 yr
12 yr 'Volumetric Expansion Testing' lowered to 10 yrs

Info is slow to update....SOME Bulk Vendors have new regs.
Some mom/pop outfits still using 12yr

LPGA Magazine

BP News

DOT

Thanks OB. I didn't know that so good to know!

Guess I'll be visiting the exchange stations a bit sooner!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
jjj wrote:
That is why I changed to the 20 lb. ones. When they close to date I swap them out at homedepot or where ever and never worry about having to buy new ones. I keep a extra full one locked in the bed of the truck for when one runs out and then get the empty filled or exchange it.

I also went to 20's on my travel trailer years back. 20's were much cheaper and easy to swap. I got a shorter threaded rod, and life was near perfect. My gas usage wasn't that high that I needed 30's.
Brian

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, I knew about the spewing liquid instead of vapor if the relief opened. I was curious why "12th Man Fan" thought they would vent by laying down.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
12th Man Fan wrote:
Did you have them laying down while you were Hauling them. if so that would also make them vent when they are full.

What would cause a tank to vent when it is laying on it's side?

Just laying them on their side would NOT cause relief valve to operate.
Problem is IF relief valve SHOULD open due to high pressure condition (heat) or failure then LIQUID propane (vs vapor) would be spewing out of relief valve.

Vapor dissipates quickly
Liquid Propane will 'burn' flesh (extreme cold burn)
Very damaging.

That is why Vertical portable propane CYLINDERS should be used/stored/transported in Vertical position

Horizontal Propane Cylinders have different design...can be used/stored/transported horizontally

Propane TANKS......well those are permanently mounted in MHs or set on legs/pads as in residential/commercial use
Tanks....ASME
Cylinders ---DOT

2 different vessels with different designs/requirements
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If the refiller cracked open the fixed liquid level gauge ("bleeder") and didn't close it tighty, that could easily account for the smell and "leak". Make sure the screw valves on the side of the service valves are closed tight with a screw driver. "Righty tighty"...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
12th Man Fan wrote:
Did you have them laying down while you were Hauling them. if so that would also make them vent when they are full.

What would cause a tank to vent when it is laying on it's side?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those tanks look to be in good shop. Get them to a Re-Cert stop, cheaper than new tanks, good for another decade...

I did that in my trailer days a couple times... No need to replace a perfectly good tank.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
MitchF150 wrote:
It's actually 12 years for a tank cert as far as I know...

I have had a tank valve leak if it was not closed 100 percent or opened 100 percent. If you only open the valve a couple of turns, it 'could' leak..

I'm not sure how a propane hose gets "clogged"?? I'm still on my original 15 year old hoses and regulator on my rig and they are just fine.

I've replaced several tanks over the years, but mine are only the little #20 or the standard BBQ tanks.. I do the exchange station swap when on of my tanks is getting too old.. I just swap for a new partially filled tank for $20 and I'm good for another 12 years and I just refill as needed.

Anyway, you can get those existing tanks recertified or spend a lot of $$ to buy new ones. Your choice.

Personally, I'd just switch to a pair of #20 ones and call it good.. Unless you need the capacity of those larger tanks for long trips at a time, there is no reason for the extra capacity, unless you just never check them between trips..

Anyway, good luck! We all do what works best for us, so this is just what I would do with the way I camp.

Mitch

DOT Certification Requirement for portable propane cylinders WAS 12 yrs after date of mfg as stamped on collar

That requirement was modified as of Jan 23, 2017
12 yr certification was changed to 10 yrs

5 yr 'Visual Inspection' still 5 yr
7 yr 'Proof Pressure Testing' increased to 10 yr
12 yr 'Volumetric Expansion Testing' lowered to 10 yrs

Info is slow to update....SOME Bulk Vendors have new regs.
Some mom/pop outfits still using 12yr

LPGA Magazine

BP News

DOT
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31