cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Asked and Answered

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
This may have been asked and answered already but we just started looking at 5th wheels with residential refrigerators today. I understand they can run on the batteries for about 8 hours. But what if you drove 8 hours then stopped over night in a rest stop. Would the truck charge the batteries enough during the 8 hour drive to still get 8 hours of refrigerator time over night??
11 REPLIES 11

MrWizard
Sam Spade wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
Why do you feel you want a res frig if I may ask? Seems to me like a lot of headach and worry vs a reg LP/elec frig.

+1

From the comments left here, the only people who seem to be absolutely satisfied with a res. frig. are those who spend most (or all) of their time attached to shore power.

Otherwise it seems to create more problems than it solves.

We have a residential fridge,, 6 yrs now, always cold, no matter how hot it is outside or inside

Never Worry about level, and we dry camp, boondock,

I think the OP question is because the fifth wheel he is interested in
Comes with a residential fridge
And his primary concern had to do with use while in transit to his destination, where he will then have shore power
If he has good tow vehicle wiring , there should be no problems
Although putting some solar panels on the fiver roof Would certainly help and offer some backup power option
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Why do you feel you want a res frig if I may ask? Seems to me like a lot of headache and worry vs a reg LP/elec frig.

It's really just trading one set of concerns for a different set. Residential fridges are much less sensitive to being out of level, and cool faster, and maintain temperature better especially in difficult (hot) conditions...but they use a lot more electricity than an absorption fridge uses when running on propane (and a lot less than an absorption fridge in electric mode). There are advantages and disadvantages either way, and which one is better depends on one's specific needs and habits.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you feel you want a res frig if I may ask? Seems to me like a lot of headach and worry vs a reg LP/elec frig.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If I was running a residential fridge I would have at least 2 12V batteries or 4 6V. and maybe a good solar panel on the roof to help in charging while on the road (along with what the truck will put out)!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MrWizard
things to remember
that fridge will be on during the day, drawing power from the the battery and hopefully the truck charge connection

two batteries on the 5ver should carry the fridge overnight

the next day, the truck charge circuit has too recharge the batteries and supply the power for the fridge

whether it can do both, will depend on the truck alternator and tow pkg wiring

many people here 'do this', and some had to upgrade the TV charge wiring,
some did not need too

the question really is, what is the tow vehicle, what is the 5ver
members with the same or similar combo can give you a better answer
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recommend four batteries and 200 to 500 watts solar. Should have no trouble with overnight stays.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I run a small residential fridge with 300AH of batteries and a single 235W solar panel. No truck needed.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
This is not exact, it is only based on my general observations. After dry camping for 7 days, my 6v battery bank of 225a were down to about 50 percent, or down about 110a. Drove home which took about 9 hours. After resting the batteries over night, they read 6.4v which for me that is close to 100 percent, or a gain of about 110a. Not scientific, full of errors, but good enough info for me to understand what my system needs to keep traveling and dry camping.

I realize this doesn't answer your specific question, but this is what I can offer.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
What does leaving the running lights on do for the battery ?
All the lights run off different wires than the trailer charge wire.
I leave my running lights on whenever towing, just so the moron who hits me can't claim he didn't see me.
The trailer battery charge goes through a different wire.
On Fords, the circuit is disconnected when the key is off.
I think Dodge could draw down the tow vehicle battery if left connected, if I am not mistaken.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
We just went to Disneyworld last month. On the way home, we decided to make the entire trip. 10.5 hours. I turned on the inverter to keep the fridge running and everything went well all the way home.

I'm not 100% sure if mine's live all the time or not. So just in case, I always leave my running lights on when we're towing. That sends power to the camper constantly. Not sure if that makes a difference but like I said, 10.5 hours and full power all the way. We unhooked everything when we got home and the batteries were fully charged enough to work the auto-level and put out the slides.

I'd be hesitant to leave it plugged up for an extended period of time if not running.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on your truck. Some trucks are designed to disconnect the live battery feed to the trailer when the engine is shut off. Some are live all the time and never shut off.

But, if your's is "alive" all the time, the trailer will also draw power from the truck battery. When you get ready to start your truck, the battery in the truck might not have enough charge to even start.

You always have the option to run your truck engine all night to keep the batteries charged.

Personally, I'd never do it. I always unplug my trailer pig-tail, even if it's not actively sending power to the camper when the engine is off. It's just a risk I don't want to deal with. And my truck has 2 twelve volt batteries. It takes all the Umph to get the truck started! (diesel you know).