cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attempted Break In

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
This morning we had someone try to break in. It was only a crime of opportunity, but it was the first time I've experienced this in the past approximately 600 nights traveling and sleeping in the RV.

There was a rental truck parked next to us. I was already awake at 6am or so and heard someone trying to open our main RV door 3 times. They gave it a good forceful pull and gave up after they found it was locked and wasn't going to open easily.

I started paying attention to what was going on outside after hearing this. All the windows were open.

I saw the would be thief walk up the passenger side of the RV and get into the rented truck he was driving!

He looked up at the RV a few times after getting in the truck. I could see him but he couldn't see me.

I took pictures of his license plate, of him, of everything.

But... Makes no sense to report it since he was driving a rental truck anyway. Can't get him fired for it. He's renting a truck. It was a rental box truck probably full of stolen goods anyway.

FYI, this happened in Ottawa, Ontario Canada.

And to the gun conversation... Mine is in storage because it's difficult to take them across borders. The one time I don't have it on me, I'm wishing I had it as a backup plan. What if this guy was successful or pried the door open. May have turned out differently.
46 REPLIES 46

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Like every other gun thread...

CLOSED

They'll never learn....
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdub2 wrote:
I don't care were we have traveled to whether it was Canada or Mexico
Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson or the Glock brothers always go with us.
Have never had the TV or TT searched ever.

Wow!

I canโ€™t believe someone would brag about being a criminal on a public forum.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
By reporting to the police, they would likely at least stop him and ask to see inside the rental truck and as he likely had already stolen things, they would have him. They would have probable cause to at least do that. And remember, although bear spray (you can bring it into Canada from the US) is designed for bears, it would work just fine in a pinch for a two legged predator. I would be really worried about someone who would open a door early in the morning of a camper with a vehicle likely close indicating occupancy. If they don't care that someone is in the trailer, that would make me very nervous. Of course since they are Canadian, they would likely be very polite about doing you harm.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Was this an RV Park? Campground? Parking lot?

I assume this was never answered? My guess would be highway reststop, truck stop, or Walmart parking lot, and most likely never will be now that the thread has morphed into a combination libapalooza / NRA dissertation LOL.

I never saw a reply to the location of the incident. My guess is same as yours. A guy in a rental truck pulling up alongside an RV in a campground would have to drive over or wade through the picnic table, flamingoes, dog pen, and grill.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
Was this an RV Park? Campground? Parking lot?

I assume this was never answered? My guess would be highway reststop, truck stop, or Walmart parking lot, and most likely never will be now that the thread has morphed into a combination libapalooza / NRA dissertation LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
maybe so. plenty of folks believe that all it takes is to pass laws. many of those folks are called politicians.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
FF286 wrote:
Gdub2 wrote:
We're was the police this last weekend in Chicago when
over 70 people where shot and over 11 murdered.must have
been on their break.

That had to be fake news. They have some of the nations stricted gun laws, thereโ€™s no way they can have crime in a city that has banned guns.

not fake news..all to real. gun laws only pertain to law abiding citizens. that's why we call those who kill, **** and engage in mayhem criminals.

Your sarcasm detector is out of calibration. ๐Ÿ˜‰

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
FF286 wrote:
Gdub2 wrote:
been on their break.

That had to be fake news. They have some of the nations stricted gun laws, thereโ€™s no way they can have crime in a city that has banned guns.

not fake news..all to real. gun laws only pertain to law abiding citizens. that's why we call those who kill, **** and engage in mayhem criminals.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
Gdub2 wrote:
been on their break.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
No Gdub2, you're wrong.
There are strict limitations to the "Castle Doctrine."

...The intruder must be IN your home or vehicle or place of work. Take the time to read this carefully. You cannot shot someone who is rattling your door knob....

The Castle Doctrine gets its name from the philosophy that everyone is the King or Queen in his or her own home. In other words, you shouldnโ€™t have to flee your property because of an intruder. The Texas Penal Code designates certain areas under the protection of the Castle Doctrine: your home, vehicle, and workplace.

In your home, Texas law assumes that youโ€™re justified in using force to defend yourself against intruders. You get immunity under this presumption given a certain set of circumstances:

An intruder entered unlawfully and with force
An individual removes or attempts to remove you from your castle with force

In Texas, a โ€œcastleโ€ defines three places: an โ€œoccupied habitation,โ€ โ€œoccupied vehicle,โ€ and place of employment.

The term โ€œoccupied habitationโ€ is perhaps the most important in the Castle Doctrine. According to Texas law, your occupied habitation is limited. The Texas Penal Code defines habitation as:

โ€œโ€ฆa structure or vehicle adapted for the overnight accommodation of persons; and includes each separately secured or occupied portion of the structure or vehicle; and each structure appurtenant to or connected with the structure or vehicle.โ€

In other words, this limits the places where you can use deadly forceโ€”a sticking point for many who seek to use the Castle Doctrine to protect their families.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Gdub2 wrote:
been on their break.

many were assigned to protect the LallaPalooza music fest to keep another vegas style shooting from happening.

the gangs are running wild in chicago shooting and killing with impunity. the good folks who live in those communities are afraid to speak; judges aren't handing down meaningful sentences (natural life with no possibility of parole for example); the mayor is more interested in protecting illegal criminal aliens than his own citizens and won't increase the size of Chicago PD.

the vast majority of CPD officers are hard working and risk their lives daily to protect the citizens of Chicago. cops can't be everywhere; they are truly a thin blue line between us and chaos.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Gdub2
Explorer
Explorer
been on their break.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
This is not even a subject for discussion. Report it immediately. They might kill the next person they park next to.

My thinking also..might been some wanted criminal,,
OP shouldve called 911 imediately.

Btw if you cant carry guns,,you should always have some other legal equalizer handy,,ball bat,,hammer,crawbar, ๐Ÿ˜‰

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
The police will take a report and will do nothing.

a) you don't know that; b) no excuse for not reporting any crime because to not report is to ensure that nothing is done.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK