cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxiliary brake system

Mr__Pinky
Explorer
Explorer
What are the pros and cons of a Brake Buddy Vantage system for a Dutch Star towing a 2013 Ford F150?
Does anyone have experience with one?
"STUFF" HAPPENS, GET OVER IT
11 REPLIES 11

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
We've used EvenBrake for years. For our rig, it's s fine mstch. HTH,
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We used a tattle tale system that would create a red light every time the BB was activated and stayed on as long as it was activated.put it right in the middle of the dash in front of the steering wheel. Could not miss it. Tested each time we started.

Horsedoc wrote:
Ed C wrote:
We've been using the same one for 21 years. Towed Jeeps, a Colorado and for the last 10 years a Silverado. It's been back to the factory twice ($200+-) with about a week turn-a -round.

Ed We have (I think) Classic or similar, I have blocked between the driver seat and the unit but still it gets loose.
I really cannot tell if the thing releases or not by looking at the device that sits on the dash in front of me.
I have about given up on even using it.
If not too much effort on your part, please tell me steps you go through to make sure the BB is installed and working correctly (ie releasing when it is supposed to) Thanks in advance
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed C wrote:
We've been using the same one for 21 years. Towed Jeeps, a Colorado and for the last 10 years a Silverado. It's been back to the factory twice ($200+-) with about a week turn-a -round.

Ed We have (I think) Classic or similar, I have blocked between the driver seat and the unit but still it gets loose.
I really cannot tell if the thing releases or not by looking at the device that sits on the dash in front of me.
I have about given up on even using it.
If not too much effort on your part, please tell me steps you go through to make sure the BB is installed and working correctly (ie releasing when it is supposed to) Thanks in advance
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mr. Pinky wrote:
What are the pros and cons of a Brake Buddy Vantage system for a Dutch Star towing a 2013 Ford F150?
Does anyone have experience with one?

Is this a "Box in the driver's seat" system? If so the following pro/con fits all such systems

Pro: if you have multiple towed vehicles you only need one system and can use it in all of them Likewise if you frequently change towed vehicles.

Con: They advertise "NO INSTALLATION NEEDED"
But the truth is you need to install it every time you tow
(NO Professional Install. it's a DIY job) that means that, as the professionals proved when installing my Installed system,, You have a chance to SCREW IT UP (They did, royally, cost me a very expensive brake job Pads, rotors the works) .... I fixed it)

And I've postulated (And had it confirmed no less) that for a short trip. say taking the RV in for service and driving the towed home while the rig sits in the shop.. there is a temptation to say "oh it's too much trouble" (Then a possibility of wishing you'd installed it after the front of your very expensive motor home gets all messed up)
(OUCH$$$!)

This is why I like an installed system like the Ready Brake or the US Gear Decelerator (NOTE the last one has features no other system has)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Blue Ox Patriot, works fine.
2014 American Eagle

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
No specific experience with that one, but I am generally not a fan of 'brake in a box' systems, that have to be installed, set up, attached to brake pdeal, etc. and then all taken out each time you tow. Too many ways for things to go wrong, and too much temptation for short trips to just not put it in. I much prefer a system that you install once, and its there ready to go any time you tow.

Also not a fan of electronic auxiliary brake systems. Just one more thing to go wrong, and in the case of auxiliary brake systems, if it drag or locks up the brakes, tons of damage can be done to your towed vehicle before you'd even know something was wrong.

For those reasons, I much, much prefer the simple Readybrake system, and won't use anything else. Have been using it for 9 years on 4 different towed vehicles, and it has always worked great.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I did not want to have to find someplace to store that unit when not in use, as it either needed to be stuck into the storage of the motorhome or into the vehicle somewhere.I opted to use the Stay and Play system mounted under the hood of the car. No muss, no fuss.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Used the Brake Buddy Classic for years. Had one rebuilt. Excellent customer service. I towed cars, not trucks. When I sold my last one, a gentleman with a 1/2 ton truck bought it.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Find and use whatever braking system you like. Just don't go without one!

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We used a Brake Buddy for 15 years. Had to have the unit rebuilt one time. We used a tattle tale light to indicate when the brake buddy was activated. Never used anything else so no comparison gave be given!
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT