cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back hurting from bed in travel trailer - need advice please

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, I've been living in my 2018 Wolf Pup travel trailer full-time for over a year now. An issue I've always had is that sleeping in the bed hurts my back. I've tried a lot of different things. About 4 months ago I bought a new mattress, the mattress I got from Amazon was: Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 8 Inch Mattress, Short Queen.

I've read reviews from other RVers about short queen mattresses breaking in too quickly. So I ordered a 2.5" memory foam topper.. but that didn't solve the back pain problem either. Got another mattress topper to put underneath the 2.5" topper from walmart... that didn't help either. Put a sleeping pad underneath the toppers... that didn't help either.

I'm getting really tired of having back pain from sleeping in my trailer bed, and over the past few weeks it has gotten noticeably worse. I'm a 230lb male.

Do you guys have any tips on how to stop the back pain when sleeping in your trailer? Is there a particular mattress or mattress topper that has worked really well for you? Any tips would be greatly appreciated... I'm almost ready to spend a week in a hotel just to get a relief from the back pain. Thank god I have a foam roller that I use in the mornings, but it doesn't cure the pain, just helps a little...
38 REPLIES 38

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Lucid 10" memory foam gel short queen in May. Very Firm but I don't have any back or shoulder pain. I didn't think I would like it but it is great. Around $240 on Amazon.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen wrote:
We have been using Serta iComfort mattresses for quite a few years...first was queen size and then with a new 5ver...we went with the king size...! Little spendy but it works for us.

We have that in our house. I wake up with a stiff back, but hubby does not. Our FW king mattress is an innerspring memory foam top mattress, now 9 years old and showing its age. Hubby wakes up with a stiff back, I do not! Well, we ordered a Wilderness RV matress, Montana Hybrid. We shall see how it works out. We have 100 days to try it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
STANG23L wrote:
I picked up a Dynasty Mattress 10GEL from amazon. Was a little leery seeing the price point is pretty low. But have been extremely happy with it. Prefer it over mattress in my house!

I have had serious back problems all my adult life. 2 years ago I had extensive surgery and then we got a new Dynasty Mattress from Amazon. It is amazing and I can sleep on it every night with no problem. It is firm enough that when DH moves around or gets up during the night, I never move.

Prior to my surgery, however, we slept on cheap Intek air mattresses with a 2 inch foam topper. It was the only thing that would give me relief. The sleep number beds are really cheaply made and so over rated. The cheap air mattresses did the trick for us for 13 years of fulltiming, until I had my surgery. Incidently, my surgery was a great success and I am pain free now for the first time in 46 years.

The other thing is what is your base? Is it a platform bed? It should be. . . any kind of sofa bed or dinette, etc., is NEVER going to be comfortable. If your platform is not solid. . . one piece with NO seams, etc., get a sheet of plywood and put it down. I'm like the princess and the pea. If there is one piece of anything under the mattress, I'm going to feel it.

Good luck.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using Serta iComfort mattresses for quite a few years...first was queen size and then with a new 5ver...we went with the king size...! Little spendy but it works for us.
cpaulsen

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
OregonMan wrote:

I'm getting really tired of having back pain from sleeping in my trailer bed, and over the past few weeks it has gotten noticeably worse. I'm a 230lb male.

With all due respect, if you can comfortably sleep on a short queen, you are probably 5'10" or less and at 230 lbs. your belly is causing your back pain, not your mattress!

Get a "real" mattress period I don't care what you weigh. My bed at home gives me no problem!
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
OregonMan wrote:

With all due respect, if you can comfortably sleep on a short queen, you are probably 5'10" or less and at 230 lbs. your belly is causing your back pain, not your mattress!

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
whiteeye42 wrote:
get a purple mattress

Haha... is this a paid ad? I've been seeing their commercials constantly.

Slept on the floor with a sleeping pad last night and my back hurts significantly less than it does when I sleep in my bed. It's clear I need a firm mattress, my current one is too soft. The problem with mattress shopping on Amazon is that you kinda just cross your fingers that the mattress is going to work out without feeling it first. I miss my mattress I used in my apartment but it's a normal queen, not short queen size.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I've always agreed with folks that say you spend thousands of dollars on a TT,RV or %er and they give you a bag of straw for a mattress.
I've bought custom ones and mostly of late the Jayco folks have allowed for a residential one which works for us a we by one of the ones like at home. The biggest difference is the height our mattress must be 40% taller than what they give you.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
get a purple mattress
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our bed/mattress is in a slide and is a short queen, we cannot use a regular queen size either as it has to snug up against the closet doors to put the slide all the way in. We have a regular mattress with a foam topper on top of it. Are you sure you don't have a bed that is too.... soft with all the layers you have. That won't keep your spine aligned correctly and areas will be sunk in too deep. Our topper is a 5" topper with gel layer. Even so, after 9 yrs the base mattress is getting worn out and in need of replacement as it is starting to get too soft to offer the needed support under the memory foam. If that base mattress is not good, the memory foam on top may not help.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
what did you do with your beloved old mattress? foam mattress can be cut, take off the fabric outer and cut it. a fillet knife works well if you don't have a hot knife, small strokes chop through recover.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ependydad wrote:
We opted to spend the money for a Sleep Number bed and our backs couldn't be happier about it.

IMO, spend the money on a good bed.

NOT cheap but my low back never hurts anymore.

Took ours from house in 2011 and full timing since.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
+2 on the Froli.

Here's a link to their web site:

http://www.nickleatlantic.com/

Here's a review of the system on Truck Camper Adventure:

http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/review-of-the-froli-star-sleep-system/

I use the Froli with a latex foam mattress I bought from The Foam Factory:

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/

Lots of useful information there about foam grades, foam density, etc. and you can buy whatever grade and density you want, rather than buy something with just a brand name and no idea what you are really getting.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Soft memory foam is cheaper than firm memory foam, so most of the memory foam mattresses and toppers being sold are the soft ones (and they often don't specify their density). The higher the pounds per cubic foot, the firmer the foam. Look for 5 or more lb/cu.ft. density. 6" or so should be plenty IMO. If you get a firm memory foam and it doesn't feel quite plush enough, add just an inch of less dense foam on top of it.

Or, get a Froli system and top it with maybe 4" of memory foam. The Froli springs connect together for variable sizes and configurations, and can be set for the desired firmness. And added benefit will be the way they hold the foam (or whatever mattress material you put on top of them) up from the platform and give you the ventilation you want for mold prevention. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

But I recommend that you immediately start some Kegel exercises. You can lie down flat on the floor on your back, then thrust your pelvis to push the small of your lower back down toward the floor... keep breathing, and hold for as long as you feel you can. Let up, relax, wait a minute, and repeat. Do this about 3-4 times each day for 1 week, and see if your back pain lessens or goes away. See, the most common cause of lower back pain onset is the abdominal muscles becoming too weak to hold the back in proper position. The Kegels strengthen those muscles. This might at least tide you over until you decide what change you're going to make to your bed.

My home mattress is a Select Comfort (the sleep number mattress without the digital readout) with 3" of memory foam on top. When camping, I have 2" of 'Tulsafoam' (quite firm stuff, but Superfoam is even firmer) topped with 4" of memory foam.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point