cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Curt E16 Hookup Question

bigrig26
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, newbie to 5th wheel towing, long time tow-behind guy.

I have a Curt E16 hitch with the slide-bar.

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how this is supposed to latch.

I know I can pull the slide bar level out, twist it and those 2 metal 'bumps' (for lack of a better word). Hold the bar in place.

I can then back into the hitch and see it make contact, but the bar doesn't close on its own. If I twist the bar and close it manually, it does fully retract again.

Is that the proper way to connect, or should that bar be closing automatically (which it appears it can't as those bumps hold it open in place).

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie understand how to do this safely and properly!
2 REPLIES 2

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The sliding bar type I had years back was a safety catch behind a claw type hitch jaw. The pin rests against the half round claw....the sliding bar slide behind the claw keeping the claw closed around the pin. In 8 years no noise.
jaw type
I'm not familiar with Curts E16 jaw type.

OP...I would suggest dropping by the selling dealer shop and let them show/explain the proper procedures for this particular hitch. 5th wheel hitches use several different jaw type systems even in the same brands.

I'm wondering if the OP is referring to Curts E16 sliding rail hitch for short bed trucks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
First thing...I've no experience with this exact hitch. I've owned a similar slide bar hitch, and have seen others being used.

The slide bar, when fully open, handle in proper position, likely pointing up, should close automatically when the pin glides back into the hitch.

IMHO, this hitch (entry level slide bar, often provided by selling dealer) is not a good choice for FW towing. In general, they are noisy, due to sloppy fit, and will get worse over time.

Will it work? Yes, but for just a little more, you can get a much better wrap around jaw style. I am familiar with B&W hitches, and their Patriot hitch would be a much better choice for you.

In any case, congrats on the new FW, you will enjoy the tow.

Jerry