cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gone through 5 water pumps in 2015 cedar creek

jaycmpng
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to install the 5th water pump in my 2015 cedar creek. Two different manufacturers. Each pump has developed a crack in the plastic pump housing. What could possibly be causing this issue? Am considering eliminating the pump altogether, since we winterize by heading to Florida but not sure how. Any suggestions?
Jaycmpng
22 REPLIES 22

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since we covered every thing else the only other thing I can think of is Gremlins.

I don't know how you get rid of them.

Happy Thanksgiving

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have flexible tubing on both ends of the pump? Maybe vibration or shaking is causing a crack.
HTML

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Our pump is the original unit on our FW, purchased new in 2010. We winterize every year with antifreeze and boondock more than we ever use hookups. Our water pump is in the front basement behind a removable wall.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't used a Sureflow but in the years here, I think this is the first report of this problem. I thought freezing, but you ruled it out. Then the installation is wrong,in some way, or something is hitting it hard. I don't see a photo and installed which might tell a lot. On the Aqua flow four screws through four rubber vibration isolators, two hose quick connects and on quick connect 12v electrical plug is all there is. Only possible problem would be using a power driver to tighten the screws/bolts down but I think they are stepped on ours. The Sureflow is almost exactly or exactly the same as the Aqua Flow best I remember.
Ours is 55psi at 5.5 gallons a minute I think and it would break of its on accord quicker than the Sureflow you have of its own accord.
Have a Good Mobile Tech install the next one and look at the whole installation.
Water pumps are probably number two in the number of jobs they get called for right behind water heaters, and maybe number one.

jaycmpng
Explorer
Explorer
Have installed a shutoff, and shurflo is replacing the housing portion of this pump. No one can explain why. Basically all the pumps have leaked generally in the same place. To those that insist the pump is freezing, this trailer has not seen temps below low 40 upper 30, if that is freezing, I guess we better start wintering in Hawaii.
Jaycmpng

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My pump is 27 years old. Does it always crack in the same place? At the same time of year ?

Do like Old Biscuit says and just cap it off if you don't use it.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
5 pumps in 5 years and you don't use the pump. Over tight or freezing, head south sooner.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Freeze damage is about the only reasonable thing I can think of, too.
9 years on first pump an Aqua flow, replaced with same. Switch went bad on it and they won't sell parts.
Either it was freezing, or anything else, I cannot come up with it.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that just blowing out the lines usually leaves enough in the bottom area of the pump to cause freeze damage. The design of the pump just retains water in low points. I blow out my line but finish off with about 10 seconds of pumping antifreeze into the pump.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a warranty defect with a pin hole. If you have a receipt I would contact the seller or the manufacturer.
Otherwise move on (again ๐Ÿ˜ž ) with a new one.

jaycmpng
Explorer
Explorer
Can't really provide a picture now since I now have the pump in a small tub to catch the drip. Sorry, gotta keep the basement dry.
And after looking closer it's more of a pinhole than a crack, but it's dripping enough to fill a small tupperware container overnight.
Jaycmpng

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would need a picture of the installation and the crack to give an opinion.

jaycmpng
Explorer
Explorer
Live in Jersey, but as indicated, we winterize by heading to Florida. The coldest weather the pump has encountered is probably upper 40s, so freezing surely is not the case. The dealer we bought the trailer from tried to tell me the 1st pump must have frozen, but that was the only year the trailer was winterized and I had used the pump to get the antifreeze through the lines so that idea was BS also.
Jaycmpng

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Do you live in a cold climate? Are you winterizing the pump?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide