cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hensley Arrow tips

HaulinBass02
Explorer
Explorer
Group I just got a complete Hensley Arrow for a song and a dance. I tow. 38’ TT with our ‘05 Excursion. I do have airbags and upgraded suspension on the Excursion but I still didn’t feel stable with the Reese dual cam sway set up. I realize there is a big learning curve to using the Hensley, so any tips and trick to getting it set up and to make hitching a little easier? I’ve heard the hitching part is the big bear…..
2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.0L PSD
2021 KZ Connect SE 312BHKSE

Me (DH), DW, 3 boys, 3 girls
13 REPLIES 13

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went from a standard WD hitch to a Reese "Dual Cam" hitch, to a Hensley (just to see if all the hype was true). It was and is.:) Used the Hensley for over 20 years until we quit traveling via RV.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Z71K9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absolutely love mine HA. I will never own another camper without it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wow!
Idk how I’ve been towing stuff for 30 years without one of these! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I have often said that it should be against the law to sell any TT without a HA or PP hitch. They are that good and safe.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
We loved our Hensley, and yes was a little bit of work to learn all the tiny things i could do to make it easier. We towed a 26 ft trailer behind my Dodge Durango, really hated how the old hitch made us feel squirley. I found by backing up to get the stinger just kind of setting in the Hensley, not locked down, and the truck backed up to almost touching the stinger, I could move the stinger out to the hitch opening to ensure i was level and able to just continue backing up. The stinger would not bind and slide right in. After a while i no longer needed the little trick of sliding that thing in or out to mate up. We would never own another travel trailer with out either a ProPride or Hensley. Good luck on your new wonderful hitch.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with other posters. Patience, Hitch Helper, a back-up camera (helpful....though I did it for years without), and more patience.
I mainly dispersion camp (boondock) and often find myself jackknifing the trailer into just the right spot between trees or rocks. When I unhook, I mark the location of each of the tow vehicle wheels (with a rock) and leave the hitch alone. Makes finding the sweet spot easier when I hook back up.

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
Hitch helper good. I hooked and unhooked and various and awkward angles. As said before, it's worth the effort. Nothing compares, except may Pro-Pride. Be patient.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
ReneeG wrote:
We had a Hensley Arrow and we bought the Hitch Helper that helps you adjust a fraction of an inch side to side when hooking up. It is worth every penny since we found that you have to be spot on to hookup smoothly. Even with this, the Arrow is worth every penny and every nuance in hooking up.

2X !!!!!!
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

manley
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to hook up? Wow, what a bunch of negative Nancies! Never had a problem with mine, but then again I never park at a stupid angle. Enjoy the hitch, and get associated with the “bump.”
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Once upon a time I towed a 39' TT with a 2000 Excursion and a Hensley.
It was a fantastic combo
The hitch helper is a good idea for a Hensley novice, however in time as you gain experience you won't need it. Keep the assembly loose when you hook up.
A back up cam of some sort is really useful.
A back up cam makes it a lot easier. I used an I ball cam and a Swift Hitch camera. There maybe better options today.
Invest in some sort of camera....a camera will make hitching your Hensley a simple task!
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Magnetic-Trailer-Hitch-Camera/dp/B0035WSQEC/ref=asc_df_B0035WSQEC/?t...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=swift+hitch+camera&hvadid=409937871837&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1018578&hvnetw=g&...
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
They are a pain to hitch up. Never again.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Hensley Arrow and we bought the Hitch Helper that helps you adjust a fraction of an inch side to side when hooking up. It is worth every penny since we found that you have to be spot on to hookup smoothly. Even with this, the Arrow is worth every penny and every nuance in hooking up.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
MOST IMPORTANT!!!!! Come in strait so the "stinger" goes in the hole strait. Do NOT turn the steering wheel the last 5 feet when you back up. I lay a rope down on the ground from the TT hitch on the line I want the stinger to travel.

If you are having problems with the stinger seating. Pull forward and start over.

Travel Photos