Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda has a new Generator.... EG2800i and EB2800i

stevekk
Explorer
Explorer
I see Honda has a new generator.
Check it out and comments please.

http://www.toolreport.net/2016/10/04/honda-rolls-two-new-inverter-generators-eg2800ieb2800i/
28 REPLIES 28

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
LowRyter wrote:

I just picked mine up from stock at the store for $750. I've not seen them that cheap even on the internet.

Costcos around here, are selling it for $699.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Sure seems like it would beat messing with two 2,000's.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
I'm sure there will be a few takers and they are definitely putting out much cleaner power than most open cage generators. Primarily for RVers who won't pay for 2 separate Honda 2K watt units or a single Honda eu3000is, but still desire to run their rig's AC and have the reliability that Honda products provide. I do agree with others that Champion 3100 inverter genny is a better choice, Cabelas currently has a crazy great price on them including free delivery.

I just picked mine up from stock at the store for $750. I've not seen them that cheap even on the internet. My old Champion open style generator was stolen from my RV. I was looking for an inverter replacement. My inquiry here confirmed the Champion inverter was a pretty good bet. Never had a problem with the one stolen, other than loud.

With an ice storm due here this weekend, Lowes was sold out of everything. I feel lucky to get the best price on the Champion inverter.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
At only 67 lbs. these new units are ultra portable and at only 61-69 decibels they are also pretty quiet."

Just don't park next to me with one of those

The decibel scale is a Logarithmic scale: 65 db is MUCH louder than 60 db. 69 db would be uncomfortable in most situations IMO.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
.......Neither of these could power up a 13.5 A/C.

Interesting, since many of us have run 13.5 A/C units with the 2,000 watt Honda generators. Wonder why the larger model has less capacity?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I am guessing these are for jobsites or backups at home where noise isn't an issue, but having clean power for computer stuff of precision tools can be a problem.

Neither of these could power up a 13.5 A/C.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly... This is in no way shape or form competition to the 2000
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Looks to be targeting the Champion 3500/4000 market. About the same noise rating at 68 db. The Champion is a great RV generator bargain. Useful for overnighting at Walmarts and for dispersed camping. Two hundred feet clearance and not bother anyone. Doesn't scream its guts out trying to run air conditioner and doesn't mind if you want to charge the battery and make a cup of coffee at the same time. Thirty amps of service for three hundred dollars makes for a lot of sales.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
At only 67 lbs. these new units are ultra portable and at only 61-69 decibels they are also pretty quiet."

Just don't park next to me with one of those

69db is pretty loud.

Significantly louder than most other Honda generators that are rated in the mid to high 50db area.

Also, the short runtimes on a tank of fuel could be a problem in most RV applications.

I guess you get what you pay for.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

With reports now that's it's entirely possible to successfully start and run a typical 13,500 BTU A/C equipped with a Micro-Air Soft Starter Kit using a 2000 watt genset such as Honda's EU2000i or Yamaha EF2000iS I'd be much more inclined to go that route rather than another larger, noisier genset. For those who already own an EU2000i and want to successfully run an A/C that MicroAir kit seems like an obvious solution to me. Sorry, but not only are these new Honda gensets WAY too noisy for use in any organized campground but with a product like the Micro-Air now readily available Honda is also late to the party if their intention is to market to RV owners, as seems to be the case. My question would be - with Honda's EU2000i already being a "legend in it's own time" couldn't the company incorporate Micro-Air type technology into the EU2000i to make it an even more versatile 50 lb generator? ... surely a company the size of Honda has the people and technology to make this possible. Imagine the sales if Honda could guarantee that their revised version of an EU2000i could easily start and run any of the current flavour of 13,500 BTU A/Cs commonly installed on RVs these days. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Neat product. I like the way you are thinking there.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:
for all you Honda 2000i guys remember your unit is not quieter when running two of them to run the AC the are noisier.
2 are way quieter than one screaming and barely running the a/c.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure there will be a few takers and they are definitely putting out much cleaner power than most open cage generators. Primarily for RVers who won't pay for 2 separate Honda 2K watt units or a single Honda eu3000is, but still desire to run their rig's AC and have the reliability that Honda products provide. I do agree with others that Champion 3100 inverter genny is a better choice, Cabelas currently has a crazy great price on them including free delivery.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
OK, I'll do it...

LINK

They say clearly this is INDUSTRIAL, AND personal use. The 2000i is clearly not in this units category and shouldn't even be in the discussion. The competition for this one is the 3000 which is 11db quieter according to the specs. That is a HUGE DIFFERENCE. This is an open frame generator and you get why you get.

Of course these gensets should be compared against the legendary EU2000i ... right in this article about these 2 new gensets it says -

"Honda has two versions of this new platform and each is targeted at a distinct part of the market. The EG model will be used by recreational users ranging from camping to emergency backup. And speaking of camping this unit will be ideal for RV use in powering a standard 13.5K BTU AC unit."

Reliably starting a 13,500 BTU A/C with an EU2000i has always been it's Achilles Heel - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, depending on several varying conditions ... having owned two EU2000i gensets myself I know what works and what doesn't. These 2 new gensets may solve that issue with larger displacement engines but the problem is they're WAY too loud for use in any organized campground ... in other words, they're NOT suitable for RV use as that advertising would have us believe. My point is that now that a soft start kit such as the Micro-Air is now available and has been clearly demonstrated to work there's really no need for anything larger than an EU2000i for solving that one problem that has always plagued we RVrs who want to run a 13.5K BTU A/C with our EU2000i gensets.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380