cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

insurance and roof leaks

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
While doing yard work this afternoon, I noticed a guy up on the roof of neighbors FW. He was taking pictures, and hollered at neighbor below "lots of openings up here, this has been leaking a long time". My question is, does comprehensive insurance pay for roof leaks, due to lack of maintenance? I know this fellow is not capable of climbing on the roof, but figured he had dealer check the roof, as he does take it in yearly for various service.

Jerry
15 REPLIES 15

Zookie59tk
Explorer
Explorer

So wrong!! You didn't do it on purpose! Its called an accident. So sorry.

While I am sure the OP would find this supportive, this thread is almost 5 years old. 

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I had a unique (I hope) issue a few weeks ago. I went out to my MH sitting in my yard, and found a hole in the ceiling. I went up on the roof and couldn't see any issue. My son went up a couple of days later and found a hole in the roof. Went back inside the MH and found a bullet on the floor. My insurance company was contacted and has already sent out a check for a whole roof replacement.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
It may be like your house...if the roof leaks, the insurance company won't cover it if the roof is old, but they will cover the resulting damage inside from the water intrusion. At least mine did. They would not cover the roof damage (and I really would not have expected that) but they covered the resulting damage.

In my friend's case, the insurance company wouldn't cover any of it. They had mold and soft-spots and the insurance company denied the entire claim.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
I had a roof leak declined by my insurance for lack of maintenance.

I was told it would only be covered if a tree limb or something fell on it, struck it or, I hit something while driving.

So, keep up with your roof maintenance program. Even if you pay someone to do it, it's cheaper in the long run.

Say somebody is paying a dealer to inspect and maintain, but you still get a leak?

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
It may be like your house...if the roof leaks, the insurance company won't cover it if the roof is old, but they will cover the resulting damage inside from the water intrusion. At least mine did. They would not cover the roof damage (and I really would not have expected that) but they covered the resulting damage.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Can't hurt to turn in a claim?
Jayco-noslide

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I did not think their insurance would cover roof leaking. I do know that he has torn his roof open several times, and dealer repaired
patched it, covered by insurance. Just over hearing adjuster, seeing him taking pics of spots all over the roof, likely a not covered maintenance issue.

My neighbor's health is bad, and he really can't handle his rig. Sad to say, but this will likely be the end for them. They rarely use the FW anyway, and then just at a local city park campground.

It is an 04 HitchHiker, well built, but looks rough, from lack of care. Likely be a fixer upper bargain for someone come Spring.

Jerry

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Been asked here many times over the years. Never read where ins. covered maint. related roof leaks.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Issues regarding a lack of maintenance are never covered by insurance. Insurance law 101.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Where I seasonal at one person had a tree poke a hole in the roof and did several thousand in damage the insurance company covered. Another person had a leak he did not know about and turned it in and was denied for lack of maintenance.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
It's all over the place with insurance companies. One of my RV friends had a leak that totally destroyed his rear wall and when I climbed up to look around it was clearly evident that the sealant was old and the roof itself was soggy near the edge. I told him that his insurance would most likely decline. He filed anyway and they totalled his RV and paid him the max value for his RV. I told him he must have been living right.

Another friend had some water intrusion around his slide floor and his roof had been recently replaced. I was almost certain his insurance would cover as they knew his roof was only a year old, but they declined his claim stating he failed to maintain the sealant around the trim. The repair place that he took it to said sorry, we tried, but no luck with the insurance. So now he plans to sell at a huge loss because he's disgusted.

So, who knows anymore, it's always worth a try.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Have a 2016 Freedom Elite. Seam on the front endcap leaked. Didn't know, it was winter. When I did notice and filed, they claimed maintenance issue. I am totally frustrated!! Work hard to own and upkeep, shouldn't have to pay large amounts of money for insurance for them to tell me you didn't take care of it. They don't know my upkeep, how do you fix a problem if you don't know about it. UGH!!!!!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I had a roof leak declined by my insurance for lack of maintenance.

I was told it would only be covered if a tree limb or something fell on it, struck it or, I hit something while driving.

So, keep up with your roof maintenance program. Even if you pay someone to do it, it's cheaper in the long run.