Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Waste Holding Tank

DandM-AG
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All

I have a 32 gallon portable wastewater tank for use when the park has no sewer hook up.

Question is: when the 3" waste gate opening on the RV is lower than the opening on the portable tank, how do you empty your RV tanks when you typically rely on gravity?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
12 REPLIES 12

DandM-AG
Explorer
Explorer
Great suggestions. Thanks everyone for the input. I'll definitely look into the macerator.

Mark

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Another vote for a macerator pump. I'm OK on the black tank, but I pump the gray water into a 30-gallon barrel mounted in the truck bed, drive to the dump station, and empty it via a 1-1/2" gate valve & hose.

I store my FloJet Waste Macerator in the trailer and could also use it to off load grey water but mostly only off load macerated black water in the rare case the BW tank might fill while we're still camping. Since my portable waste tanks are smaller 7 gal Aquatainers that weigh just 60 lbs when full I can easily lift them into the truck, a single 30 gal tank there's no way. To off load GW I usually just gravity drain it into Aquatainers sitting on the ground at the back of the truck. K.I.S.S. ๐Ÿ™‚

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for a macerator pump. I'm OK on the black tank, but I pump the gray water into a 30-gallon barrel mounted in the truck bed, drive to the dump station, and empty it via a 1-1/2" gate valve & hose.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Levitation.

Good answer.. And I can teach you how to do it too (in fact I will)

There are a couple ways, one is to "Walk the hose" (Fill the portable tank but leave some headroom, Then you "lift" teh hose in a "hump" configuration to "Walk" the waste in the hose to the portable, then finally once you have it near empty you disconnect from the RV and lift the now open end to finish the transfer)

The easier way is:

Flo=Jet Portable Macerator

I would suggest 5-10 feet of 3/4" or larger hose with female garden hose fittings on both ends, and a cut off valve on one end.

Hook end with cut off valve to the tank vent fitting
Remove 3" cap
Hook other end to pump
Hook to power (12 volt 20 amp) NOTE there is a fuse in the switch assembly. Note two before you hook up remove the rubber cap on the bottom of the pump. if that is it's on the bottom of the pump, and give the slotted metal shaft a bit of a Twist using any handy took or evn a quarter BEFORE hooking up.

Feed it power and watch for the tank to fill. when tank is near full shut off, close cut off valve and disconnect from tank, apply caps and haul to dump station.
Repeat till tanks empty

NOTE: if portable tank is bigger than RV tank you can get rid of the cut off valve and flush with fresh water.. But I'd go with the valve, use a "Ball" type that is at least 3/4 Inch so as to not restrict. NOTE that it can be mounted on the tank and it will likely accept a 3/4 inch MALE hose fitting which makes the hoses easier to find.

but I would rather have it in the hose so I can remove it easier.

NOTE also: I use one of these on occasion.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
J&R wrote:
You should have enough head pressure in your waste tank to push waste though. Your waste tank will not empty out completely. Waste tank and tote will equalize. close waste valve, lift hose above tote, starting at waste valve and elevate above tote to drain line. Repeat to entirely empty waste tank.

Exactly^^^^^^^

Waste tank and its contents ARE higher then tote.

Just have to shutdown draining into tote soon enough to allow for fluids in drain header and sewer hose so when you close waste tank drain valve and 'walk the hose' you have room. Don't want any surprises when you disconnect hose :E
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use a macerator.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah. I know. It really doesn't run uphill!! And pressurization of the black tank only works in movies... ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
You should have enough head pressure in your waste tank to push waste though. Your waste tank will not empty out completely. Waste tank and tote will equalize. close waste valve, lift hose above tote, starting at waste valve and elevate above tote to drain line. Repeat to entirely empty waste tank.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

tred0956
Explorer
Explorer
Get a portable FloJet Macerator pump.

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe if the ground slopes away from your site you can move the tank to a lower spot and use your 10 or 20 foot hose to dump your RV into your tote.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I own a 42 gallon Barker blue tore. I attach a hose to hit and connect hose to dump station connection. Generally the dump station inlet is flush with the ground and lower than the tote. As the tote empties, you can lift the entire tote higher if you need to create more fall.
Don't over think it. It's really not that complicated
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Levitation.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad