cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rocky start to 2 week vacation - crash and more

i have been planning a 2 week vacation all year, eagerly looking forward to the first time ever I have planned an RV trip for pleasure only. All my other trips have always been work related.

Yesterday was the big day. Got the TT all loaded up and ready to go on Thursday. Friday morning we headed out on our trip from Calgary Alberta to Vancouver Island, with the first stop in Kamloops for the night. A holiday weekend, BC Day and the roads were beyond busy, huge amounts of traffic.

We were traveling the Rogers Pass, west of Golden BC and going up a long hill in a 2 lane passing zone, and the approaching lane was 1 lane. I saw a slow moving big truck ahead and waited until clear, turned on my signal light and made a safe lane change to pass the truck. I was passing, about even with the semi truck tractor when I saw a small car over the double solid line and passing me with a semi truck fast approaching coming the other way. Driver of the car must have realized she made a huge mistake and panicked seeing the truck approaching. She was about even with my truck and suddenly swerved into my lane. I leaned on the horn, steered to the right a bit and went for the brakes. I had nowhere to go because I was beside the big truck and didn't want to run into it. She drove right into the side of my truck and continued to steer hard in my direction. I was now hard on the horn and brakes but she kept coming, now crammed right into the side of my truck. I could hear the sound of bending metal and my left front wheel grinding up the side of her car. Now very hard on the brakes, I dropped back and she continued to steer right. Her car now went in front of my truck, out of control and went sideways and was against my front bumper as I began to push her sideways on the highway. As I was braking hard, her car went ahead totally out of control and spun out, skidding in a circle and slammed backwards into the concrete median and came to rest. The semi truck beside me had to lock up the brakes to avoid plowing into the car.
I pulled past the car now stopped and I pulled over to he right to allow the heavy traffic to get past us.
Driver told me she was traveling with the vehicle in front and wanted to stay behind them. She seemed to think this somehow justified pulling over a double solid and passing me in a very unsafe manner.....
My passenger later told me that they had the passenger window down in the car and were screaming at me to pull over. I didn't hear or see that as I was looking ahead at the busy traffic I was in. Seems she wanted me to change lanes into the semi so she could occupy the lane I was in. Weird....
Thankfully nobody was hurt. That's the main thing. Her car is a mess, heavily damaged in several areas. My truck is damaged but a new bumper and decorative wheel cover will fix that.

So there was a 2 hour delay while we waited for police to arrive and take care of the paperwork etc.

Now we are late for our reservation in Kamloops RV Park.

We get further down the road to Chase BC and the road is closed due to an accident. Fortunately I know the area and I was able to pull off and go through town and get around the mess. Haha! I exclaimed, got around it and will be here soon.

I spoke too soon, as a few miles down the road there was a highway vehicle stopping traffic. Road closed ahead, both directions. Bus and car tangled, very serious crash with fatalities and the highway is closed both directions. I was told it will be another 2 hours before they open it again. Meanwhile it's now later in the evening and we are tired and just want to get to the CG and relax. We were only about 20 miles from our destination.

Again, knowing the area, I know of a rough old gravel road that parallels the highway on the other side of the river. I get our rig turned around on the highway and go back to Chase, over a bridge there and we proceed down the old road to bypass he road closure. Everyone else had the same idea. We could see the highway from where we were and the traffic was backed up for many many miles in both directions. We could see the bus kind of laying over partly on its side. We finally made our way to Pritchard, east of Kamloops and over a rickety old bridge and back onto the highway.

Finally, late evening we pull into the CG in Kamloops and claim our reserved spot.

What a day! I sure hope the rest of the 2 week vacation goes better than this!

So word of caution, not that it will do any good, but watch out for idiots on the road. They are out there, amongst us and are in way too much of a hurry to exercise good judgement in traffic.

Have a safe and happy weekend everyone!!!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
30 REPLIES 30

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
There is no cure for stupid. glad you weren't hurt. bent metal can be fixed. but memories are for ever.

Natural aelection is the sure cure for stupidity, if we allow it to function.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be no cure for Stupid.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
I hope that driver got charged.
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
I throw one in with a happy ending.
My wife and I are driving home thru the country late afternoon/dusk. Road is a curvy and hilly two line county highway. I'm running 55 with a full size truck behind me and a car behind him. Going down a hill and over a bridge, we are passed by a woman in a minivan at about 75 mph. "Hmmm" I thought. Passed at least three vehicles at one time going around a slight curve, passed while in a no passing zone, and passes me (the third car) while she is crossing a bridge. "Must be in a big hurry." About 3 miles later we come into a small town (maybe 500 pop) and traffic is slowing down quickly to a crawl. Seems two state troopers have pulled this minivan over and starting the ticket writing process.
The woman didn't look to happy, but those of you who have ever been around a speeding or dangerous driver know that special feeling you get when you pass them by along the side of the road while they get their cup of karma.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Skeeterj
Explorer
Explorer
Glad everyone's OK. That made for a long day to start your trip!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm right now studying the lengthy California Driver Handbook so that I can (hopefully) get a five year renewal of my drivers' license.

Every safe driving behavior mentioned in it I see violated all over the place every time I travel anywhere in California or in any other state. It's pretty obvious how folks get into trouble on our roads in this country!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a member of the slow down and taking it easy club for nearly 50 years, even in Caly traffic in the late '60's. I have seen a bunch of dumb stuff, but only involved once and it was close to home.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

As for the comment about my driving habits, thank you.

I've been towing for 44 years so have learned a few things, such as no sudden swerves or anything. My rig was a lot bigger than her Mazda so I'm going to win the lane by holding there as opposed to turning or being pushed into the side of a semi. I would rather bend my truck a bit and walk away than have a huge wreck and lose everything.
Harsh judgement call to sit helplessly as she drove into me.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

We made it to Victoria yesterday evening. No more issues with the trip. Took the 6PM ferry to the Island and found our way to a hotel we took for 2 nights.
There is a well known event called Symphony Splash that happens every year. A
An orchestra on a barge comes into the harbour playing music. 40 to 50 thousand people show up to the beautiful parliament building grounds to watch and listen to the event. Then fireworks after.

Very hard to park nearby so we took the hotel, a short walk away and stored the RV in a lot nearby.
After that we are heading up Island to various places camping!

Hopefully the drivers will behave on the road now. And we will have a great time.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't matter how many safety features manufacturers install in new vehicles, its still driver attitude that makes the greatest impact. Be safe out there folks we only get one shot at this.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Man.....Bob, you always have the best stories. Glad everyone was OK. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
"I am a big advocate and probably the charter member of the "Slow it down!" club. Unfortunately, no one wants to join up!"

I joined up a while back, since I retired, I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere any more. My pulse never goes beyond 70 bpm...... I have noticed that about 90% of accidents or close calls are due to impatience. Just take that extra 2 or 3 seconds and most accidents could be avoided.

Gerry
Gerry

J-mans_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Dang Bob,
Heck of a way to start a vacation. Your truck keeps takin' a beating but serves you well. Hope the remainder of your trip is less eventful.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you're OK, Bob. We are very familiar with that road as well and have seen way too many crashes and been sitting in hours worth of back ups over the years too. It just amazes me how stupid some people can be at times. In most cases it seems other innocent people tend to pay the ultimate price for their stupidity.

Have a safe trip.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes