cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

specific question on bug screens

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought bug screens made by Camco for my furnace outlet.

I plan to make screens for my HWH and frig out of aluminum screen wire. They will not be visible like the furnace so a perfect fit won't matter.

My question is : Will the aluminum screen wire be too small of opening so as to restrict air flow?

Opening is a little smaller than the Camco screen but I can't see where it will matter. Opinions?

2017 249rbs Apex if it matters.

Thanks in advance
14 REPLIES 14

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the Camco screens on our furnaces, fridge, and water heater since 2008. No problems and no bugs...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Double post on editing

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
manufacturers probably recommend against the use of screens because some people not knowing any better will make flat screens to cover the openings.

The stainless screens sold comercially for furnaces and water heaters are bowl or pan shaped and larger than the opening instead of fitting flat against the side of the trailer.

That allows for the same amount of air that would normally pass through without restricting air flow. It is when the total area of all the holes in the screen is less than the opening that causes a restriction in flow. Making the screens 3 dimensional adds more total surface area than the appliance opening.

When making your own screens the total surface area needs to be taken into account. Screen mesh has to be sized small enough to keep the spiders, wasps and daubers out but not restrict flow. Home made screens should not be smaller than the commercial made screen for the particular appliance. If you can't find the larger screen locally it can be ordered through McMaster Carr.

Stainless hardware cloth

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I know, this sounds silly. But I put remnants of dog flea collars in the outside of the water heater and the fridge. Have never had a problem after I started to do this.

Before, I had a water heater while up at Denali not start because of a spider web made overnight. They love the smell of LP.

I do put a screen on the furnace output so mud dobbers do not get in there.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had the SS screens on my trailers since 1997 and have never had a single problem with them blocking air flow. The only thing they block, as far as I can tell, is bugs.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1...I never heard that, although no reason to doubt it. My guess would be a liability issue, at least in part, because they have no control over how the screens are maintained / kept clean. My hwh has a factory screen on one side. Anyway, thanks for the info.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
All of the manufacturers recommend AGAINST using any type of screens.

FWIW, the typical window screening blocks 50 percent of air flow.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. After comparing the opening on the factory made screens vs screen wire I decided to buy SS Camco made screens. More air flow and easier to keep clean I think.

BTW best price I found was at Wally World. Plus they are now giving about a 5 percent discount if you pickup in store rather than ship.

Thanks for all the input

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used the fiberglass/nylon screen for my fridge and water heater. No issues with either of them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
I used aluminum screen mesh and zip ties, which worked out fine for the refrigerator. For the water heater you'll need wire to attach the screen.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have the stainless screens (Camco I believe) for all three appliances with no issues. I had to modify the one for the water heater as the fit wasn't right and there was a space large enough to let bugs in. One episode with a wasp nest and you will wish you had them from the outset.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I have seen caution statements on the manuals that comes with the water heater and the furnace not to use any cover.

Because of that I cover mine with vinyl screen wire and ribbon magnets when stored.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No one can answer that question. You would have to try it and see but I recommend not reinventing the wheel.
The ready-made screens and very durable and properly sized - and not that expensive

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a fan somewhere, take your existing screening material and place it right in front of the fan. Now turn it on. Is the flow restricted? If no, you will probably be OK. If it is, then I wouldn't do it.