cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing 5th Wheel in Myrtle Beach area and live in PA

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I live about 20 miles south of Pittsburgh. My wife and I enjoy staying at the Willowtree RV Resort near Longs SC just outside of North Myrtle Beach. Due to a lot of reasons such as health, work, and elderly parent etc. we have not been able to get out at all this year. I store my 5th wheel in a lot and have to pay a monthly fee for this.

I found out that the Willowtree RV Resort will store your RV and pull it from storage and place on a site prior to your arrival and also return it when done. The monthly storage fee is equal to my current fee. There is a $15 fee each way to pull and return the RV.

We are seriously considering taking the 5th wheel down late September early October and leaving it there. We think we would get more use out of it because I can drive there in my car in about 9 hours while pulling the RV is closer to 11. We would also save on gas etc.

My question is has anyone done this type of setup? What things do I have to consider? Do I need special insurance etc.

If you have done this how has it worked out for you? I really need to know the good and the bad.

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
4 REPLIES 4

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
We did this in a campground in Roanoke Rapids, NC 2 years ago.

It was well worth it and convenient too.

OP here,

Are there any extra steps I would need to take? Extra insurance etc.

Some things that came to my mind:

Insurance. Do I need more or any changes to policy?

What to do if repairs are needed. I like to get my brakes etc. checked and adjusted at least once a year.

I did discover that the Pennsylvania state inspection gives you 30 days to get vehicle inspected when returning to the state.

Should I winterize the same since it is further south? I blow out lines and pump RV antifreeze through all currently.

Given the location how do I keep unwanted pests and rodents out?

I'm sure there is more but these are the few I have thought about.

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
We did this in a campground in Roanoke Rapids, NC 2 years ago.

It was well worth it and convenient too.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The place we stay in Myrtle Beach has 5 drivers that do nothing but bring in and take out RVs from storage all day long so there must be a lot of people doing it.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
My bil did that for a couple of years here in Michigan. He loved it.