cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Top 10 things I've learned over past 3-4 years

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thought it would be interesting to jot down the top ten things I've learned over the past 3-4 years (not necesarily in order) as it relates to this forum, and RVing in general. Im sure many of you can add to this list.

1) There is not much difference in quality between the various brands of trailers (perhaps with exception of Airstream). Pretty much all major brands use the same components, and have the same level of laborers (note I left out the word 'skilled').

2) Most people wrongly focus on TV manufacturers stated towing capacity, and assume that translates directly into how big a trailer they can tow. Newbies don't understand the Cargo capacity relationship. I was in that same boat, but researched it extensively before I even joined this forum.

3) In most cases, people over estimate their TV capability to tow the TT or 5er they want, and will search endlessly for validation that supports their theory.

4) Generally speaking, an extended warranty is not worth purchasing. Most issues are found during the first year and SHOULD be fixed under factory warranty.

5) Opinions on ST vs LT tires are as strong, if not stronger, that TV and weight recommendations.

6) RV's of all types depreciate heavily from initial brand new purchase. No standard on how MSRP is calculated or portrayed.

7) People tend to post questions, even if there are 10 threads of similar discussion, rather than spend time doing research, either on this forum or elsewhere on the inter-web. Note: This phenomenon is not limited to RV.net.

๐Ÿ˜Ž RVing is a hobby, and costs money. If you are in this to save money on vacations etc, you are looking at it all wrong.

9) It is important to use the right tool for the right job. That includes the right TV for the right job. When you need the 'capacity' and safety margin and you don't have it, you will likely regret it.

10) It is important to inspect your trailer routinely. Check lugnuts each trip, test all safety components etc.. Your trailer is flexing, bouncing etc as you drive down the road. Things break regardless of how well they are put together... especially when towing.

Anyone want to add to the list?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS
23 REPLIES 23

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
irishtom29 wrote:
Talking about the same things over and over is one of the main purposes of a forum.
I like it! In the spring it's tires, in the fall it's winterizing.

And year round its talking down about the guy that drives a different brand vehicle, or a different class size of vehicle, or motorhome vs fifth wheel vs travel trailer.

Or how dead and very little posting on these forums between the months of January and March.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
#1 I disagree. There are different levels of quality in the components used. Not all have MORryde IS suspension, not all have GY US Made tires, not all have residential refrigerators, not all have solid wood cabinet construction, not all have full extension ball bearing self closing drawer glided, the list goes on.......

#2-10 I agree.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
irishtom29 wrote:
Talking about the same things over and over is one of the main purposes of a forum.

And year round its talking down about the guy that drives a different brand vehicle, or a different class size of vehicle, or motorhome vs fifth wheel vs travel trailer.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Things I've learned about RVing and these forums over the last 15-20 years!

1) It doesn't matter what you post on these forums, someone will always have a different opinion and try to convince you, you are wrong (even when you "really" are right!)

2) There is no right or wrong way to go camping, what kind of equipment you have, where you go, or how you do it.

3) There is no "wrong" camper (RV's). There are just wrong choices made about them.

So very true. I would only add that I've learned that everything I do regarding the RV always costs 3 times what I think it will.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Stuff's gonna break, sometimes at an inconvenient time, no matter what, even on a new rig. Figure out how to fix it yourself if you can ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Walaby wrote:
my favorites from that perspective are the ones that start out with...

'I know this has been discussed many times before but, what is the favorite/best etc...'
Or, "I've read many threads on this but I'm even more confused."

So.. I guess the same answers personally written to you will clear it all up?

Or instead of starting a NEW thread, pick the most relevant one (or the only one you read) and ask follow up questions in that thread.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
my favorites from that perspective are the ones that start out with...

'I know this has been discussed many times before but, what is the favorite/best etc...'
Or, "I've read many threads on this but I'm even more confused."

So.. I guess the same answers personally written to you will clear it all up?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
7. That is true of people who have been members here for 10 years.

And heaven forbid you suggest that the person simply search the terms and find 50+ and literally thousands of responses to their question, rather than sit and wait for people to find and reply to their question. If you do that, you are mean spirited and rude...

My favorites from that perspective are the ones that start out with...

So, if one knows it has been discussed many times, then one should know what the answer is.. it likely hadn't changed.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
12. or whatever number we are up to. Fully ten percent of the answers will be completely wacko wrong and about that many will be entirely correct. The rest are for the entertainment of the person posting their opinions. Over and over.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
7. That is true of people who have been members here for 10 years.

And heaven forbid you suggest that the person simply search the terms and find 50+ and literally thousands of responses to their question, rather than sit and wait for people to find and reply to their question. If you do that, you are mean spirited and rude...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
You're right about it being a hobby and not necessarily saving money. Lots of RVers talk about taking a trip cheaper which is true to a degree but only if you are looking at the short term cost and forgetting to include the actual cost of the RV spread over time which most RVers do tend to leave out. RVing has been good for us because we would have never put out the money to travel for weeks or even months if moteling it.
Jayco-noslide

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
your number one is right. but building a RV is not rocket science by any means. but in the defense of some people, I know several tech that started out building rv's and gone into the repair of them, and are very good at what they do.