cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird sounds at night

ac2022___
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! I have been living in a living quarters trailer of friends of mine for the past year on and off. That said, it’s been a pretty good setup and everything (except for roaches last year). However, last night I was awoken to the sound of 4-5 footstep like things. Which is unusual. I’m not a heavy sleeper, so any sounds like that kind of freak me out, even though I live in the desert in Arizona. Where there’s tons of animals.

Anyway, I just went to shut off the lights a while ago tonight and again heard the same sounds. I don’t know if it could be mice or something, but it also sounded like it may be on top of the trailer itself. I’m just really freaked out about it to where I’m going to sleep with music playing.

Maybe I’m overreacting, but I don’t want critters around me at night. Have any of you guys dealt with this situation before? What do you think it is?

Thanks in advance for the feedback
26 REPLIES 26

dedmiston
We get birds on our roof all the time trying to peck open a nut.

If you're adventurous enough to climb a ladder, go up to your roof and see if you can find any clues (bird poop vs. rodent poop).

I wouldn't be too concerned though, as long as the noise is outside and not inside.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2oldman wrote:
Now we await OP's return.

Ok, now the ubiquitous 2oldman reply is startin to get appropriate!
OP, it’s ok, cmon back. No one knows who you are so it’s not like we actually know who’s afraid of the dark.
(It has been a couple nights since their last post, now….them chupacabras are nothin to mess with…)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Thanks, I try to keep it light hearted around here!

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
lhenry8113 wrote:
You should get a portable air horn and a pellet pistol. We have a cabin in the Mtns. and a Class C. Have used both-mostly the air horn. Animal definitely don't like the air horns noise.

Not sure why I find this so humorous….actually I know why…
I can just picture someone creeping out in their jammies with one of them old Everready flashlights, armed with a boat horn in one hand and a pop gun in the other. Just to see a pair of yellow eyes peek over the edge of the roof at them when they’re 180 degrees from the camper door!
Which do you throw at the animal first? The noise maker or the the gun shaped object?

OMG!! Read this 10 minutes ago and I'm still laughing!!! Now there is a movie running thru my brain over and over....... LOL. The picture you paint is hilarious.

Thanks for the giggles......Hahaha.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
FordDiesel250 wrote:
Bigfoot

Naw man….AZ desert…definitely a chupacabra!

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Get a BIG cat.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Im in sticks n brics and hear squirels runing on the roof and everywhere else scratching and hiding nuts in many places even under my truck frame.

At night I saw skunk go by but it didnt make any noise.

One night Ive heard awful noise in carport sounded like a bear riping stuff apart but it was only a possum snooping around looking for some food I guess

Tried to chase it away with a broom but the rascal climbed on a beam and wouldnt let go,so I went to sleep. 🙂

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a chupacabra.
Nothing to worry about.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
lhenry8113 wrote:
You should get a portable air horn and a pellet pistol. We have a cabin in the Mtns. and a Class C. Have used both-mostly the air horn. Animal definitely don't like the air horns noise.

Not sure why I find this so humorous….actually I know why…
I can just picture someone creeping out in their jammies with one of them old Everready flashlights, armed with a boat horn in one hand and a pop gun in the other. Just to see a pair of yellow eyes peek over the edge of the roof at them when they’re 180 degrees from the camper door!
Which do you throw at the animal first? The noise maker or the the gun shaped object?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2oldman wrote:

rOfL! Seems to be your standard response. I mean it has been like 7 hours since his/her insomnia got the best of em.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Welcome OP!
Sounds like you’re looking for affirmation that you’re hearing some normal camper noise.
Maybe you are.
But IMO the normal thing to do would be to verify whether it’s an animal or not. And if not, tell the folks whose camper you’re borrowing that it’s making funny noises if you’re unable to discern or diagnose the source or problem.