but stayed out a few more Weeks - had roof and vents repaired and
caulked to prevent further Leaking - water damage was forever old-
could reach inside and wood Came out like straw and crumbled-
taped it up good and finished our 5 week adventure- inside looks great-
everything works good.
Took another 4000 mile a few months later- good trip but husband says
RV has had its last long trip- may be able to do some local trips-
Cannot see the USA that way!!
Going to buy something else and get back on the road .
WHAT DO WE DO with the old RV?
Any suggestions???
11 REPLIES 11

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
Like many have posted, regardless of shape it usually has a value to someone! Many people want something to put on land they own and you should be able to find a buyer. If buying new something not fixable for you may have worth to them and get a few dollars there.

Be honest if trying to sell it but ultimately there is always someone looking for something for nothing!

Put it on Craigslist or Kijiji for sale with FULL DISCLOSURE. There's always someone wanting a fixer upper.
That's how I got rid of my rotten old Sportsmen. It was very badly rotted out in the back. I put all that in the ad, told and pointed out EVERYTHING wrong with it to the guy who bought it.
And he still eagerly handed me 24 crisp 100 dollar bills, then smiled, shook my hand and thanked me for the good deal.......
There's one born every minute!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a used 2011 cougar lite and its held up well. We travel all over the country. Only issue was a failed bearing and I fault the mechanic who greased them only months before.
Check your next potential RV for soft spots in ceiling and walls. Look for water staining inside. Open cabinet door and check for mold. Make sure everything works before you accept the keys. Axles aren't bent, tires have plenty of tread, outside caulking isn't missing anywhere. Check around all vents especially on the roof. There are plenty of videos on Utube to help you on your next purchase. Get educated and don't believe everything the salesperson says. Lots of luck.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you are buying a new camper from a dealership, you can probably negotiate a new dollars for your old one. Anything is better than nothing. And if they won't offer you anything for it, but take it off your hands, at least YOU won't have to deal with it any more. Sometimes, trying to sell something is just too much of a pain in the neck. It's easier to just get rid of it! Don't know your tolerance level, but mine is minimal. If you really just want to get rid of it, you can always just give it away. Someone will take it.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Hunting cabin is always a good option.

Or try to trade it when buying next one. Good friend had a small TT also with significant water damage, his damage all across the front. RV repair shop said at least $2,500 (and probably more) to repair. And they estimated the value of the trailer at $1,500 unrepaired and $4,000 repaired. So not a good investment.

He began looking for something else to buy. Found another slightly larger TT he liked. During negotiations, dealer offer him $2,500 trade in, sight unseen, even though he had described the water damage to the dealer. That is not to say the dealer did not have that extra money built in to his price, but that did save him a little on sales tax, and was an easy way to get rid of it.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Be honest with people and sell it as a hunting camp or parts source and get what you want.

This is how I got rid of my old one. They are using it as a hunting cabin

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
As posters pointed out, trailers that are not roadworthy still have value to people as a fixed location camphouse.... You shouldn't have to give it away but it probably won't sell for much. At least you won't be tasked with disposing of it.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Be honest with people and sell it as a hunting camp or parts source and get what you want.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I had a TT that "died" on a long trip -- I full time no stick home. Sold it to the campground I was staying in for $1,000. He was going to turn it into a stay put rent out "cabin". The nice part about this deal was I was able to look for a replacement and them move the replacement to the CG to unload my stuff.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Try to sell it first, getting something is better than nothing. Someone might want to scrap it for parts, I am sure some of the appliances and other parts etc. are worth something to someone.Good luck and happy camping
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I would advertise it for free, maybe someone will want it for a hunting/fishing camp.

If not, check with scrap yards in your area. Maybe they will take it.
In my area they take RV's.