cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Queston On Bones

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
We've bought some Boston Butt, had it ground up by the butcher and now have several good size bones from the meat.

My question is: are these type of bones safe for dogs to eat? If so, cooked or uncooked?

All experiences appreciated. Baby Girl is a 55 lb Catahoula Mix.

Thanks
Mike
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
7 REPLIES 7

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I stay away from bones period for my service dog, a big Lab trained by Dogs for the Deaf. She had a long, expensive episode of daily vomiting once after eating one, so I'm probably overly cautious now... but there's no downside if I am. No people food of any kind, either.

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I now have a better idea of why no cooked bones. We may feed Baby Girl the bones from the butt roast...they are large and solid.

Happy New Year to everyone.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on no cooked bones
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Grapehound
Explorer
Explorer
Please never feed your dogs cooked bones, esp. cooked chicken bones. Cooked bones get brittle from the heat and can splinter when dogs chew on them, creating sharp fishook/splinters for them to swallow and tear their intestines, giving you a huge vet bill or a dog who dies a painful death from sepsis.

We rarely feed any bones to our dogs. Uncooked, larger bones are fine in some cases, with some caviats that you have to make sure your dog does not swallow and choke on a bone too large to swallow. Chickens have too many small, sharp bones to take the risk. We actually feed our greyhounds raw turkey necks for cleaning their teeth and for the calcium they absorb. They swallow and digest the rounded neck bones. But they always must be uncooked. We also dehydrate turkey livers for treats and they love them.
Larry B.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
No cooked bones!
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
The dogs will love them... We usually use them for beans served over rice them the dogs get the bones..
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I can't find any pictures of the bones, all Google brings up are boneless roasts.

Raw bones are better than cooked in my experience, the bone is less brittle.

If the bone can't be broken by your hand, it's probably safe to give to a dog.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed