cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Poor Peg

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday when I came home Peg jumped up and tried to run to the door to see me. She was very uncoordinated and was sliding around on the tile floor. We thought she may have pinched a nerve in her back when she missed jumping up the two steps at the back door; her back legs looked weak trying to stand. She was looking & moving great that morning.

However, later that evening she vomited, we noticed her eyes twitching, and based on the way she was moving outside during a bathroom break we figured she has idiopathic vestibular disease. Peg is the 3rd of our dogs over the years to get this. Overnight the poor girl peed while laying on the dog bed and ended up laying in her pee overnight. ๐Ÿ˜ž Such an indignity for a grand old girl who will turn 14 the end of this March.

Mark
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
25 REPLIES 25

corgi-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Somehow I missed the original post. Glad she made a complete recovery. It's hard watching our seniors struggle
Samantha (the poster)
Tim, DH and driver of the CorgiMobile
Dexter and Dora - Pembroke Welsh Corgis
Gone but never forgotten -
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16
Diva 1/9/09 - 8/20/20

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Peg is back to her old self with a residual slight head tilt
Thanks for asking
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
It's been a month plus since we last heard about Peg. What's the news on her? Is she continuing to recover?

Hope so

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update, Mark. Glad to know Peg is improving.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
She really didn't get that bad of a case. We've had dogs with worse.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

dturm
Pretty good progress for 1 week. Hope she continues to improve.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Peg is almost back to where she was before. She still has a very subtle eye twitch, a small head tilt, and is bearing more weight on her left hind leg than on her right hind leg. She is eating very well and moves with just a little residual unsteadiness. If one of the other dogs bumps her she will stumble a bit or may loose her back footing and plop on her belly. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Our friend who is a vet and Chiro certified will be here this week and we'll have her go over Peg. I don't expect her to find anything except for residual effects of vestibular disease.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Any update on Peg, Mark? Hope she is doing much better at this point.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
So painful to watch. The 2nd episode for our dog was very painful with bleeding behind the eyes. We had to help her over the rainbow bridge at 16 yrs old.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Mark, sure do hope Peg continues to improve. Hard to watch our wee ones get older. I learn so much from this forum. I had never heard of anything like this. I would have thought "stroke" as well. Hope she gets better.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

dturm
It's great that Peg is improving. We've had two of our dogs as seniors develop vestibular disease. Both recovered within a few days to a week (at least enough to be able to walk and handle elimination without aid). Megan learned to lean against the wall when walking up and down stairs to aid in movement.

I've seen scores of dogs (and cats) develop this syndrome. Many owners think their dog has had a stroke and are prepared to euthanize them, only to find out that this is a temporary condition that usually improves with minimal supportive care.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Peg is learning to move around again she has been navigating the two stairs at the back door. We take her out on lead which helps keep her steady on her feet. Her eyes are still twitching.

Thanks for all the well wishes.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Mark,

Sorry to hear about Peg's illness.

Since you are already seeing improvement, you probably have the correct diagnosis. Our first border collie, Just Mike, got idiopathic vestibular when he was 14. I know the disease is not painful but, I believe, he was embarrassed as much as he was confused. Improvement within 48 hours and good to go in 10 days. (Mile lived to 17.)

Peg is blessed to have a knowledgeable family who loves and cares for her.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
My longest lived Chessie made it that far partly because my vet prescribed 1 glucosamine/chondroitin 900 pill per day to help her with arthritic stuff - just like me, except I get 2 pills per day.

When she came to the end, I brought her inside for food, which she declined. I gave her water, which she drank, then brought back up. With that I knew, "it's today". I had swiped her name for my forum name, btw.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006