cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

add another MPPT

foxxxnick
Explorer
Explorer
newbie here.There's a question that's been bugging me for a while now. Maybe someone knows the answer.

Here is a 100amp MPPT: https://www.renogy.com/rover-100-amp-mppt-solar-charge-controller/ It's the biggest single MPPT I can find. When it's maxed out, can I add another MPPT in parallel to the same battery bank? If not, how do you get 200amps into one bank of batteries?
12 REPLIES 12

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked into how connecting some panels in series can keep the amps lower while increasing the voltage to output the same wattage? Some controllers can accept higher voltages and still limit the output to battery acceptable voltages. Pardon the pun but panels in series is where the MPPT controllers โ€œshineโ€.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cptnvideo wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
Magnum also makes a 100 amp controller, the PT-100. They will communicate when used in multipole. Usually just adding multiple controllers will work but they work better if networked.
As for getting 200 amps into a battery, it needs to be capable of accepting that much current. As it charges it will take less and less charge.

Victron also makes a 100 amp MPPT controller. Mine is the 150/100, 150 VDC, 100 amps for 1500 watts.

renogy even makes a 100 amp controller
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
KD4UPL wrote:
Magnum also makes a 100 amp controller, the PT-100. They will communicate when used in multipole. Usually just adding multiple controllers will work but they work better if networked.
As for getting 200 amps into a battery, it needs to be capable of accepting that much current. As it charges it will take less and less charge.

Victron also makes a 100 amp MPPT controller. Mine is the 150/100, 150 VDC, 100 amps for 1500 watts.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

foxxxnick
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
To expand on my previous, I have three solar controllers (*and two converter-chargers) , two are MPPT while the other is PWM, each one from a different maker (one manufacturer is now defunct) and this evolved over timeโ€ฆEach controller is ignorant of the existence of the other two and they all do their job without a hitchโ€ฆTo a degree, I attribute this performance to the fact that each one is voltage programmable which is ideal for single charge voltage requirement LFP batteries. However, potentially problematic in a multi-voltage stage wet-cell configโ€ฆ

*due to system evolutionโ€ฆ

Were I to develop this entire system from scratch, I would have gone with common maker controllers merely in the interest if simplicityโ€ฆ

3 tons

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
not sure about the controller the OP has, but midnite solar "kid" controllers are designed to be paralleled if needed. Two can be set up with one as master the other as slave. if you have more than two, they can be "daisy chained" with one as master and it passes info to the next in line, that one passes info to the next in line etc.

I have two kids, master is the roof solar setup, slave is for the portable panels. works great.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can parallel multiple chargers but they need to be compatible for maximum charging. For example I have 3 chargers for my batteries: solar, alternator and charger (with gen running) and while this works OK they may not be 100% compatible. And solar is the only one with a remote voltage sense probe on the house battery.

However, I recommend that you buy a MPPT controlled that is designed for parallel connections with a single controler. ie They are connected by a small data cable with a single point of control.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
foxxxnick wrote:
newbie here.There's a question that's been bugging me for a while now. Maybe someone knows the answer.

Here is a 100amp MPPT: https://www.renogy.com/rover-100-amp-mppt-solar-charge-controller/ It's the biggest single MPPT I can find. When it's maxed out, can I add another MPPT in parallel to the same battery bank? If not, how do you get 200amps into one bank of batteries?

The long and the short answer are both yes, in the same way as your vehicleโ€™s alternater charging concurrent with your solar or another source - your battery really doesnโ€™t care..

In my case my system has grown over time to now three controllersโ€ฆ

3 tons

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
foxxxnick wrote:

foxxxnick wrote:
I'm sorry the link may not work.

You have to have a minimum number of posts before you are allowed to post links. I forget the number, but keep posting, and you will get there quickly.

In answer to your question, I have always read that you can parallel multiple MPPT controllers, but I have never had a need to try it, myself.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

foxxxnick
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry the link may not work.