cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

adding on/off toggle switch

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm wanting to add a simple two wire on/off switch to my 12v entertainment center. It has a clock, bright lighting, and emergency weather radio, so live 12v all the time.

It has a red wire, with inline fuse, so likely positive, and a black wire that may be ground.

In this diagram, both the red wire and black wire show power in. Since the red wire has inline fuse, I'm thinking to splice 2 black switch leads into the black wire, for power on/off.

I don't think it matters which I splice switch into, red or black, as either should disconnect power when switch is off? Any reason one would be better than other?

Here is the simple on/off switch that I plan to use.

Thanks for your thoughts. I just see no reason to have this live all the time, when RV is just parked, not being used.

Jerry
9 REPLIES 9

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
never put a switch on the ground wire on automotive audio video equipment as you can damage the system by it seeking a ground path through its auxiliary output or input rca connectors or other equipment connected to it.
already happened to me by connecting the +12v power wire before the ground wire when i had already connected the rca output cables to downstream components that caused a surface mount audio ground fuse to blow by trying to power the head unit through it.
the head unit then had no audio ground and had to be repaired to work right again.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks guys, for your help/thoughts!

I felt I knew, what was needed to accomplish this simple shutoff. I feel that it can't hurt to get other's opinions, that likely know more than me.

So, went out, got er did this am. Cut the red, tied in the switch, drilled small hole into cabinet next to unit. Then fastened in switch, which shows on/off. Turned shore power on, reconnected battery power, went inside, switch to on, all is well. Listened to a Shania CD (Still the one). Unit plays up to 7 speakers inside, and 2 outside. All factory speakers have a great sound! ๐Ÿ™‚

Close cabinet door, switch is out of sight.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
opnspaces wrote:
One wire feeds 12v when the system is on. The other wire feeds 12v to keep the clock when the system is turned off. Because you want it all off or all on, you could probably just twist the black and red together. Then use one switch to control both.

Wowโ€ฆ.lol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
While you can put the switch on either wire and it will work, it is safer to switch the red wire. That way, if the device somehow grounds out, it won't have power to short. Very small risk, but non-zero.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
enblethen is correct, while both leads show power in, the black wire is marked -, and the red +. Yes, clock will need to be reset each time switch is off, but seldom look at that clock anyway.

This is an all in one touch screen, or remote controlled am/fm stereo radio, weather radio (with loud emergency alerts), and DVD player, with surround sound speakers.

Only way to shut off touch screen unit, is to disconnect all power to entire trailer.

I want to install switch, just inside cupboard door, right next to unit.

Jerry

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
OP's diagram does not have two feeds. Right lower corner shows power plus and minus
Black is negative
Red is positive.
Black leads on switch would be wired in series to positive lead.

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^
Do not twist the red and black together.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP's diagram does not have two feeds. Right lower corner shows power plus and minus
Black is negative
Red is positive.
Black leads on switch would be wired in series to positive lead.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Deleting this post as with my eyes I misread the wiring diagram and the post was wrong.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Your clock will need to be reset if you shut all the power off.
I would put it in the positive red lead.
I use switches similar to this but have lighted handle, so it is lit when on.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker