cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you mount solar above vents?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any reason not to mount solar panels above attic or tank vents?
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
12 REPLIES 12

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
13' 6" is a concert w/o solar panels. Mine are just below the A/Cs.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nobody mentioned the possibility of them being ripped off by a limb or bridge etc. TTs not so much but lot's of 5ers are pushing 13'6"
Puma 30RKSS

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
TurnThePage wrote:
I'm in the process of planning my next (and likely last) RV. Optimizing solar will be high on the list.
That's exactly what I did in 2014. 3x 250W panels with 3x bypass diodes each, wired serial, mounted 6" above the roof and MPPT controller with battery voltage sense. No shadows from the A/Cs and better performance in sun, shade and leafy shade than parallel panels.

Bob

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
This was really just an academic question. I installed a couple panels on my current trailer, making sure to avoid everything else up there. That was over 15 years ago, and it's all still going well.

I'm in the process of planning my next (and likely last) RV. Optimizing solar will be high on the list.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Tank vents are one thing. Fridge and roof fan vents are another. Yes one oneโ€ฆno on two.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
2 reasons not to mount above the vent lid: 1) if y want to be able to open it a little, you'll mount it high and there will be more air resistance when driving,
and 2) it will block the lid from fully opening, less air flow for you when camping.

#2 will be TAD countered by the shade the panel provides.

There is no reason not to mount it directly above the tank vent - I did. The roof slopes downwards there, and while the panel is ~6" above the roof at this point, it is just barely higher that the crown of the roof. You need to leave a few inches between the panel and roof anyway. Make sure there is a few degrees slope on the panel, to shed rain water and dust.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
I see no issue unless it is a vent that would be blocked from opening.
Picture would help

I'm with Time.. As for the heat from the roof vents.. Well if it's the vent for the fridge perhaps but the other ventilation vents.. Not enough heat to worry about. plus air moving to help dissipate.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Higher panel height increase air circulation and keeps the panels cooler. It just works and optimizes panel roof space.

Bob

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Picture would help

I have one mounted slightly elevated above a sewer vent with no issuesโ€ฆAs far as โ€˜truly elevatedโ€™ goes, I have a 100w and a 120w with one of their sides mounted atop the baggage rail (about 6โ€ from rooftop - to overcome railing and air cond. shadowing) and the other side attached to the roof via fabโ€™d (all, pop-riveted) vertical aluminum extension legs - I fabricated a 3/4โ€ square aluminum frame for each panel to rest atop attached using 1-1/4โ€ plumbing โ€˜Uโ€™ bolts (Home Depot) to secure to railing surround, and on the panels opposite open side, vertical aluminum corner legs (with rooftop attachment pads) extending down to the roofโ€ฆTo the roof, #10 5/8โ€ pan head screws and caulking..Even at up to 80mph all has remained very secure ๐Ÿ™‚

3 tons

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Picture would help

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the summer, attic vents exhaust heat. Solar panels generate, and therefore have to dissipate, heat. I would not mount a solar panel over an attic vent.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The taller the installation the more stress on the roof.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.