Explorer
Explorer
None of our GFI outlets are working.
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Common "none of my GFCI" causes
If none of them work, first check the GFCI itself, is it "Tripped", If so reset, does it trip again,, See below.
Now check the circuit breaker feeding it.. Is it tripped, Reset. If it trips again, see below
NOTE: in some cases the Circuit breaker may be the GFCI...

NOTE 2: IF YOU HAVE AN INVERTER... Then you have one of two configuratrions
Factory installed inverters typically have circuit breakers,, usually 2, sometimes more. on the inverter itself.. Now modern design practice is to place them on the rear where you need a flashlight, 4 hands and a mirror to find 'em so you can imagine my surprise when I went to help a fellow RVer and they were right there on the front in plain sight.

After market inverters.. May be like that,,, Or they may have a SUB PANEL inside the RV, usually near (mine is behind) the main breaker panel.

Tripped breaker prevents reset

Finaly note before we get to "Below"
A GFCI that trips immed on reset .. the sound is different than a "no power" attempt to reset,, Kind of a double click sound if it's tripping.

Below
If either the circuit breaker or the GFCI outlet is tripping.. First UNPLUG EVERYTHING that is plugged into a GFCI outlet.. if the Fridge does not work UNPLUG it (Plug is outside in the fridge access compartment)

If this fixes it plug in one at a time till CLICK it stops (HInt a night light in any affected outlet will show you quickly when it clicks)

If a GFCI still trips with everything unplugged... Check 1st the patio outlet,, Often the seal crachk, i tfills with water, and CLICK goes the GFCI.

If any GFCI outlets are in slides
under the slide are two junction boxes... I've heard of one (or both) of them getting filled with water and .. See last paragraph.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced ours for the 2nd time in 8 years, they wear out.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
There is a breaker for the GFI inside the converter.

Even if it does not look tripped flip it off and then back on. If its not clearly marked turn 'all' the breakers on and then back on. Those breakers just don't always click off all the way, I've had that problem.

The other problem can be a bad GFI. These darn things look like they are ok and the switch goes on and off but they are broke. They get tired and need to be replaced.

I still bet its the converter breaker though since both are not working.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Use a know good appliance plugged in to receptacle. If it does not work, push the test button. It should pop out. Then try to reset by pushing that button. If it does nothing, there is no power to GFCI.
Are you connected to shore power? GFCI only work on 120 volt system, either shore power or genset.
Reset circuit breakers. Turn all off applying light pressure toward off. Turn on main breaker, if equipped,, followed by branch breakers one at a time. Test receptacles with know good 120 volt item.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get a tester for outlets at your local hardware store, get one with the GFI test button. I've had to replace a GFI once.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from 5th wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Check your circuit breakers and fuses.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
did you reset the GFI controlling those outlets? Should be receptacle with a test and reset button on it... might be hidden somewhere, like behind a tv or bathroom.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion